Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rib roast on sale $4.99/lb at Giant

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You can pan fry steaks and they turn out great. Finishing very thick steaks in the oven is a little tricky, but an inch-thick steak will fry up nicely, then you can make a simple pan sauce out of the leavings.

I use a cast iron for my pan fried steaks. I have done tenderloin in the cast iron and it comes out delicious. Just make sure the pan is hot when you put the steaks in. I fry 2.5 minutes on each side to get that crispy bark, then turn the burner off and let the steaks cook an additional 3 - 4 minutes. We like ours medium rare. They come out delicious. I don't season them with anything but coarse ground sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    I use a cast iron for my pan fried steaks. I have done tenderloin in the cast iron and it comes out delicious. Just make sure the pan is hot when you put the steaks in. I fry 2.5 minutes on each side to get that crispy bark, then turn the burner off and let the steaks cook an additional 3 - 4 minutes. We like ours medium rare. They come out delicious. I don't season them with anything but coarse ground sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.
    Haven't tried that yet - I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Funny...I can cook a killer steak on about any grill, but can't get one to come out OK with a frying pan to save my life. Does warming up last night's steak in a pan with the breakfast eggs count?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Haven't tried that yet - I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
    Want to make sure you saw the part where the pan needs to be HOT before you throw the steak on. That's how you get your sear and nice crust. Depending on how your stove heats, you want to be on med-high to get the pan hot enough. When I was a young bride I ruined a lot of good meat because I was afraid of heat. And seasonings. And cooking in general.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I'm just not a big fan of pan fried steak, even if it's done right. I'd rather hit the grill even if it's -20* and snowing. In fact, I appreciate it even more.

Ok, one exception: chicken fried steak. Can't do that too well on the grill!
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Want to make sure you saw the part where the pan needs to be HOT before you throw the steak on. That's how you get your sear and nice crust. Depending on how your stove heats, you want to be on med-high to get the pan hot enough. When I was a young bride I ruined a lot of good meat because I was afraid of heat. And seasonings. And cooking in general.
    You told me that once before when I was pondering how to keep batter on a fried oyster. I think you said when a drop of water sizzles and spits. Anyway that's what I do to make sure it's hot enough for them. I assume that some olive oil should be in the cast iron skillet for the filet mignon?

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I'm just not a big fan of pan fried steak, even if it's done right. I'd rather hit the grill even if it's -20* and snowing. In fact, I appreciate it even more.

Ok, one exception: chicken fried steak. Can't do that too well on the grill!
    I tried that once and even on the stove it turned out horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I tried that once and even on the stove it turned out horrible.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Dixie,
    Ignore times, temperature is key. And remember carry-over cooking- meat temps will rise 5 degrees or so after you take it off the heat. So
    1. Season simply. Usually S&P is all you need.
    2. Cook to just below desired internal temp.
    3. Remove from heat and cover meat with foil. Let it rest for 10 minutes or so, to reabsorb the juices and finish cooking. Here's a chart for reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Which part of "...shall not be infringed." do you not understand?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.