All Signs Point to Russia Being Behind DNC Hack

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"In the wee hours of June 14, the Washington Post revealed that “Russian government hackers” had penetrated the computer network of the Democratic National Committee. Foreign spies, the Post claimed, had gained access to the DNC’s entire database of opposition research on the presumptive Republican nominee, Donald Trump, just weeks before the Republican Convention. Hillary Clinton said the attack was “troubling.”

It began ominously. Nearly two months earlier, in April, the Democrats had noticed that something was wrong in their networks. Then, in early May, the DNC called in CrowdStrike, a security firm that specializes in countering advanced network threats. After deploying their tools on the DNC’s machines, and after about two hours of work, CrowdStrike found “two sophisticated adversaries” on the Committee’s network. The two groups were well-known in the security industry as “APT 28” and “APT 29.” APT stands for Advanced Persistent Threat—usually jargon for spies.

This story is part of Motherboard's hacking theme week, The Hacks We Can't See. Follow along here.

CrowdStrike linked both groups to “the Russian government’s powerful and highly capable intelligence services.” APT 29, suspected to be the FSB, had been on the DNC’s network since at least summer 2015. APT 28, identified as Russia’s military intelligence agency GRU, had breached the Democrats only in April 2016, and probably tipped off the investigation. CrowdStrike found no evidence of collaboration between the two intelligence agencies inside the DNC’s networks, “or even an awareness of one by the other,” the firm wrote.

This was big. Democratic political operatives suspected that not one but two teams of Putin’s spies were trying to help Trump and harm Clinton. The Trump campaign, after all, was getting friendly with Russia. The Democrats decided to go public. "

Read more here: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/al...-behind-the-dnc-hack?trk_source=homepage-lede

SamSpade

So their complaint is 'waah, the Russians exposed our stuff' - and not 'damn, sorry, shouldn't have done all that'?

They're complaining that they were caught by Russians? So - they're not denying it or claiming the Russians planted it all? They WERE caught red-handed, but they're upset at WHO caught them?

Does anyone else think this borders on ridiculous?

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, when your rock is turned over for everyone to see the slime underneath, your best path to blame the person who lifted the rock up.

This_person

So their complaint is 'waah, the Russians exposed our stuff' - and not 'damn, sorry, shouldn't have done all that'?

They're complaining that they were caught by Russians? So - they're not denying it or claiming the Russians planted it all? They WERE caught red-handed, but they're upset at WHO caught them?

That's the lawyer in them. If the search warrant has a flaw, you can't admit the evidence to the trial. This is one of the many ways the Clintons get out of jams - it's not that they did no wrong, it's that there's no EVIDENCE of them doing wrong.

They forget that this is a trial by the media.

Oh, wait, no they remember that, and the media will show their true colors and chase the Russians instead of the DNC.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
For someone touting superior intelligence, you'd think they'd be a little smarter than this.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Russians would be the story I went with also, "the Russians are so scared of me that they're actively trying to get Trump elected".

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

The Donks may be extra sensitive to this Russian hacking as it might be traced back to Hillary's unsecured private servers as the initial portal of attack.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hillary Clinton said the attack was “troubling.”

I am DYING!! :roflmao: After she breached national security with her negligence, NOW it's troubling when she gets busted being dirty. :lmao:

Not to mention, when WikiLeaks was doling out top secret information to our enemies, they were a darling of the Left. A whistle blower. Now that they're blowing the whistle on the Queen, yeah, not so darling anymore.

:lmao:

Hijinx

What I think borders in the ridiculous is that if the Russians hacked the Democratic party, why is there any doubt they hacked Hillary's private server?
And who else hacked it.

This woman is dangerous to the security of our country, and the Democrats want to hand her the Nuclear codes.

bilbur

What servers in the US have the Russians not hacked?

All the ones that are secured properly using the proper level of encryption which is why you never let classified material get onto personal equipment. I know this was the DNC servers but I am still fuming over Hillary's and her staffs indifference to securely storing classified information.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Donks may be extra sensitive to this Russian hacking as it might be traced back to Hillary's unsecured private servers as the initial portal of attack.

Thinking aloud again, but if indeed Hillary's email server was hacked, why hasn't anyone (Wikileaks, Anonymous, or Guccifer 2.0) released any of the emails?

bilbur

Thinking aloud again, but if indeed Hillary's email server was hacked, why hasn't anyone (Wikileaks, Anonymous, or Guccifer 2.0) released any of the emails?

I could care less if it was hacked or not hacked. Her staff broke the law and binding agreements they all signed to protect classified material to a predefined standard using predefined equipment and store it in a pre defined and certified facility. If it wasn't hacked they were lucky but that doesn't make it right. If we handled all of our classified material like this we would put everyone at risk.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

It was highly Classified and the Russians and Chinese are using it for there own.......

stgislander

PREMO Member
It was highly Classified and the Russians and Chinese are using it for there own.......

I was thinking that, but it seems enough time has passed that if they did hack it, whatever information they received is no longer actionable. During her campaign would be the time to release some of her private emails just to embarrass her.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
All the ones that are secured properly using the proper level of encryption which is why you never let classified material get onto personal equipment. I know this was the DNC servers but I am still fuming over Hillary's and her staffs indifference to securely storing classified information.

You aren't alone in this. When I signed a DD-254, I treated it as a binding contract without exception. Hillary and her State Dept. staff should all be hung for treason...

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
You aren't alone in this. When I signed a DD-254, I treated it as a binding contract without exception. Hillary and her State Dept. staff should all be hung for treason...

:lol: I doubt that you've ever signed a DD-254.