Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great Fruitfly War of 2017

I also have them bad this year and I have barely noticed them in the past years so....

it is crazy!!!
    Please neuter and spay your pets.... and your weird friends and relatives.

..if momma ain't happy... my-thyme's Avatar
    I use an old salt shaker rather than an open dish. Just a half inch of vinegar and a drop of dawn, they go in the shaker holes and can't get out.

And they do seem to be numerous this year.

Quote Originally Posted by my-thyme View Post
    I use an old salt shaker rather than an open dish. Just a half inch of vinegar and a drop of dawn, they go in the shaker holes and can't get out.

And they do seem to be numerous this year.
    Thats not a bad idea.....

So my saucer of vinegar and a drop of dawn didnt do squat...is that becuase I used the concetrated stuff?
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    So my saucer of vinegar and a drop of dawn didnt do squat...is that becuase I used the concetrated stuff?
    Did you use apple cider vinegar? White vinegar doesn't work as well.

They seem to congregate inside the microwave at our place. Even when there is nothing in it. Every time I opened the door to cook something, a bunch would fly out into my face. My wife started running it for 30 seconds before she opened it. Cooked the little buggers.
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Unlikely, the dish soaps purpose is to lower the surface tension of the vinegar. As long as they can smell the vinegar it should work.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Man, I'm still here !!!
    was out on the deck talking to dad last night, christ if there was 20 there was 1,000,000 flying in my face.... Got saucers everywhere... Boiling and bleach drains = ALL drains bath rooms etc. Open the door and they're bum rushing into the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Party here boyz... SUX's

the trick I saw online that seems to work is to put a larger bowl over top of the saucer and prop it up on chopsticks. hey can still smell the vinegar and are attracted to it but the larger bowl keeps them from flying away.

Blog Entries
    Investors may want to consider purchasing some Windex stock and vinegar futures.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

I find that they aren't attracted to water down store brand of vinegar. Another thing, the vinegar attracts them, so empty them often. If vinegar attracts them, it attracts more!

Members who have read this thread: 74