The Great Fruitfly War of 2017

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I also have them bad this year and I have barely noticed them in the past years so....

it is crazy!!!

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I use an old salt shaker rather than an open dish. Just a half inch of vinegar and a drop of dawn, they go in the shaker holes and can't get out.

And they do seem to be numerous this year.

glhs837

Power with Control
So my saucer of vinegar and a drop of dawn didnt do squat...is that becuase I used the concetrated stuff?

Homer J

Power Chord
So my saucer of vinegar and a drop of dawn didnt do squat...is that becuase I used the concetrated stuff?

Did you use apple cider vinegar? White vinegar doesn't work as well.

They seem to congregate inside the microwave at our place. Even when there is nothing in it. Every time I opened the door to cook something, a bunch would fly out into my face. My wife started running it for 30 seconds before she opened it. Cooked the little buggers.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Unlikely, the dish soaps purpose is to lower the surface tension of the vinegar. As long as they can smell the vinegar it should work.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
was out on the deck talking to dad last night, christ if there was 20 there was 1,000,000 flying in my face.... Got saucers everywhere... Boiling and bleach drains = ALL drains bath rooms etc. Open the door and they're bum rushing into the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Party here boyz... SUX's

terbear1225

the trick I saw online that seems to work is to put a larger bowl over top of the saucer and prop it up on chopsticks. hey can still smell the vinegar and are attracted to it but the larger bowl keeps them from flying away.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Investors may want to consider purchasing some Windex stock and vinegar futures.

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds

I find that they aren't attracted to water down store brand of vinegar. Another thing, the vinegar attracts them, so empty them often. If vinegar attracts them, it attracts more!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They have been horrible the last few weeks! I was wondering where they were coming from as there is nothing out food-wise for them to breed in so they must having their parties in the drains. I will definitely be trying the bleach solution tonight! DIE MFers DIE! :evil:

This method has always worked for me: put apple cider vinegar in a small bowl with a drop of Dawn dish washing liquid, cover with plastic wrap, and punch small holes in the plastic. They get in but can't get out and works great. :yay: The other method is to take a two-liter bottle, cut the top third off, add apple cider vinegar and soap to the bottom, invert cut top and insert into the remaining bottom to make a funnel, and tape it in place. Also work great! :yay: :yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
Tried a variety of different concotions, went looking for the Terro traps, Wally was out, swung by Ridge Hardware Monday after work, asked about fruit flies, lady showed me some stuff called Aunt Fannies Fly Punch. Showed me one of Terros apple looking traps and one from Fannies, I bought the Fannies trap, and after a week, this stuff rocks. Vinegar based, of course, but while my home made stuff never got more than a few, this thing has 25-30 bodies after a week.

PeoplesElbow

For cleaning the disposal a box of baking soda and vinegar will take care of the fruit flies, the foaming engulfs them and suffocates them.

I have always found a jar with apple cider vinegar with a drop of dawn and holes punched in the lid did a good job. In less than a week I usually have 50-100 of those dead little bastards per jar.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Put some cider vinegar in a small dish, then add one drop of Dawn and set the dish where you see the most fruitflies (usually in the kitchen somewhere). The cider attracts them, and when they go to take a sip the Dawn kills them. It's quite satisfying to see dozens of enemy combatants at the bottom of the dish after a day or so. :evil: Change out the dish for fresh every morning until they're gone.

Another thing is that they breed in the gunk that collects in your drain. Boiling water mixed with bleach will destroy that breeding ground. Garbage disposals are notorious fruitfly bordellos, so don't forget to bleach that as well.

Works better if you put the cider vinegar in a Mason Jar and use either a narrow neck funnel or make a paper funnel.. they fly into the jar and can't get back out.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Has to be Cider Vinegar, like Apple Cider.. White doesn't seem to attract them...

Then build a trap they can fly into but can't fly out of. A jar with a funnel.. a dish with saran wrap and small holes..

We also found traps made by "TraPro" on Amazon that work really well.. TraPro Fruit Fly Traps..

FruitFlyTrap2.jpg

Last edited:

gregoryfill7

I for a long time grew pumpkins in my garden, but a couple of years ago an unknown infection was attacked on them. After that I started to grow wheat. She is not whimsical in growing. The only thing I bought is rotary seed cleaner It is very convenient for me to use it after I harvested.

glhs837

Power with Control
Has to be Cider Vinegar, like Apple Cider.. White doesn't seem to attract them...

Then build a trap they can fly into but can't fly out of. A jar with a funnel.. a dish with saran wrap and small holes..

We also found traps made by "TraPro" on Amazon that work really well.. TraPro Fruit Fly Traps..

View attachment 120198

With the cider vinegar in a trap type container, I has two after a week. With the saucer with dawn, one. A week with commercial product, 20-40, been gone all week to Philly, more than double the bodies. Well worth the $10.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I didn't have them like this last year, BUT THEY ARE HERE NOW AND DRIVING US CRRRRAAAAAZY.

Going to put the cider vinegar, boiling water, and dawn to use now...