Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is America the laughingstock of the world?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Trump is a rock star in Montreal. Everyone we talked to thinks he's great and aren't quite as complimentary toward young Trudeau. If I were smarter, I'd have brought a bunch of MAGA hats and sold them on the street.
    I was watching one of the BBC channels, they have a dozen of them, and the news story was about Trump's immigration policies and the story started out negative as normal but the reporter in NYC actually turned the tables on a liberal and asked tough questions and got him stammering.

OH and America is STILL the Wild West where Conservative's OPEN Carry Six Guns Like Jessie James and Gun down Brown People
    Were tempted to suggest a conspiracy here but its just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply cant conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    OH and America is STILL the Wild West where Conservative's OPEN Carry Six Guns Like Jessie James and Gun down Brown People
    Sounds more like GTA.

I think it's important to separate politics and culture in terms of this question.

Sure, all ostensible democracies occasionally elect people who are laughingstocks I suppose, but that's all just chum. In my experience, most look at us with admiration; some might call it jealousy. Many have dreams to come here; some even do it illegally. But out in the French countryside, young ambitious people don't want to migrate to Paris or London or other large European cities to be successful and put their mark on the world, they want to go to the U.S., New York City specifically.

My family took in an exchange student from France many years ago and we remain good friends to this day. I travel to France to spend time with him and his family and he and his family travel here. When I go there, his kids all want me to bring them New York City things. Yankees and New York Football Giants paraphernalia (even though they are not baseball or football fans), NYPD/FDNY t-shirts or hats. To them New York is the center of U.S. culture. When they come here, they invariably want to spend time in NYC. Not DC, Chicago, Los Angeles. NYC is it. It is the pinnacle of U.S. culture for them.

The Brits are particularly curious about our gun culture. Almost without fail, British folks I meet on my travels want to know how many guns I own. I think their impression is that we all run around with guns, pointing them in the air, drinking beer, and pew-pew-pewing our guns.

Politically, I've never felt uncomfortable discussing our politicians or President Trump specifically. Nor have I been ridiculed. The most critical comments have been from Italians in Italy, but they mostly understand there is a difference between government and people just trying to live a life. Most people understand that modern democracies swing back and forth from election to election. Even in places like France and the Netherlands, generally leftist governments are tempered by (what some might describe as extremist) rightist political movements (Marine LePen and Geert Wilders, respectively for example).

So, no, in my experience America is not a laughingstock. We are in fact the most successful nation in human history, despite our flaws. Most recognize and admire that and are drawn to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    I think it's important to separate politics and culture in terms of this question.

Sure, all ostensible democracies occasionally elect people who are laughingstocks I suppose, but that's all just chum. In my experience, most look at us with admiration; some might call it jealousy. Many have dreams to come here; some even do it illegally. But out in the French countryside, young ambitious people don't want to migrate to Paris or London or other large European cities to be successful and put their mark on the world, they want to go to the U.S., New York City specifically.

My family took in an exchange student from France many years ago and we remain good friends to this day. I travel to France to spend time with him and his family and he and his family travel here. When I go there, his kids all want me to bring them New York City things. Yankees and New York Football Giants paraphernalia (even though they are not baseball or football fans), NYPD/FDNY t-shirts or hats. To them New York is the center of U.S. culture. When they come here, they invariably want to spend time in NYC. Not DC, Chicago, Los Angeles. NYC is it. It is the pinnacle of U.S. culture for them.

The Brits are particularly curious about our gun culture. Almost without fail, British folks I meet on my travels want to know how many guns I own. I think their impression is that we all run around with guns, pointing them in the air, drinking beer, and pew-pew-pewing our guns.

Politically, I've never felt uncomfortable discussing our politicians or President Trump specifically. Nor have I been ridiculed. The most critical comments have been from Italians in Italy, but they mostly understand there is a difference between government and people just trying to live a life. Most people understand that modern democracies swing back and forth from election to election. Even in places like France and the Netherlands, generally leftist governments are tempered by (what some might describe as extremist) rightist political movements (Marine LePen and Geert Wilders, respectively for example).

So, no, in my experience America is not a laughingstock. We are in fact the most successful nation in human history, despite our flaws. Most recognize and admire that and are drawn to it.
    I love a coherent, well thought out post.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    I'm sure it has gotten worse since
    Of course. All you have to do to see it is read the Washington Post editorials. Read the Pew "Research" editorials. They'll tell you - the US sucks.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    Ill rely on my own interactions with actual people as I travel about rather than advertisement-driven news articles, thank you very much.

I have a friend that lived in Spain the past 15 yrs ... she has since gone back to Chile

she commented a few times in our conversations how terrible Trump was ....
    Were tempted to suggest a conspiracy here but its just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply cant conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

I just got back from Australia and every person stopped me and asked how bad Trump is. Their media is even worse, and that's all they talk about.

Of course, one merely needs to look at India, the entirety of Africa, most of South America, most of Central America and realize that things could be worse than being in the US

Members who have read this thread: 64