40% of 'Maryland" Crabcakes really from Indo-Pacific region

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I learned how to make my crab cakes from an old man (Dyson) that lived and crabbed down in Colton's Point. He always had crab cakes for sale..would scull his skiff around St. Patrick's Creek every time he had made a fresh batch up, knowing who would want some. Dollar a piece.

Dang..I just realized how long ago that was. His wife was a legendary cook too...she was the "force" behind some amazing catering at events back in the day. She might have worked for Eddi Bailey too...not entirely sure I remember that correctly though.

Agee

Mine too.

In other states they have "Maryland" fried chicken, which is crazy delicious but not something Maryland is famous for; and they have "Maryland" crabcakes, which are a heinous (and should be illegal) bastardization of what Maryland IS famous for.

What a country.

I love your tenacity when it comes to anything food!

Do you have a sister?

creekman

I do so agree with you. I have tried crabcakes all over the south many of which are advertised as Maryland crabcakes. I have said many times that Maryland should sue for false advertising. The worse was in North Myrtle Beach some years ago. It was the typical "hockey puck" that was too disgusting to eat. So...beware of out-of-state crabcakes!

mitzi

Beware of the crab cake at a well known place in Charlotte Hall. I've never been so disappointed in my life, I felt like ordered them from a different state. You could see a sliver of crab meat mixed in with the filler.

Hank

my war
Beware of the crab cake at a well known place in Charlotte Hall. I've never been so disappointed in my life, I felt like ordered them from a different state. You could see a sliver of crab meat mixed in with the filler.

Why would you order seafood at St. Mary's Landing? :barf:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
LOL , yeah mr.chickenchit has a connection alright !:)bs:)

Ya know your pretend god is gonna strike you down for lying ,for a liar.:gossip:

Are you really as dense as your posts make you appear, or are you just messing around, Derrick?

Last edited:

fatratcat

Just feel like I have to saythis one more time. If someone in SOMD would just develop a jumbo lump crab cake worth a damn, I'd greatly appreciate it! The region touts its seafood but apparently can't cook it... Before you all jump on the band wagon. Here's my 1-10 breakdown. Ruddy Duck solid 8, Light House 7, and Stoney's 4.

Kinnakeet

I might have my wife make some and sell them they are the best I have ever had,she picks them for hours,adds almost no filler and a little secret season,then cooks them in a frying pan until they are golden brown,she always tries one at the different places but none compare or even come close. I have not tried one anyware for the 24 years we have been married.Most of the stuff in plastic containers is nasty and should only be sold for bait,as soon as you open that crap the odor tells you its not true blue crab meat,more than likely it either shark fin or skate tips.:yahoo:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I ran across this while searching for a crab cake recipe. Anyone got one worth sharing that does incorporate using real crab meat? So far I picked out 20 oz and will easily have 2 lbs by the time I finish. I want to surprise the kids with supper one day this week. I haven't been back to Leonardtown Grill. They had their one chance and blew it.

Oh, and I sure do miss BigBlue. :sigh:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It's funny that some states can get blue crabs (Georgia, Florida and Alabama) and still insist on using canned crab from the Philippines.

BernieP

Resident PIA
best crab cakes ever, Pappas. Don't GAF where the crab came from. I swear there is no filler in their crab cakes, debated with a friend how the hell they go them to hold together.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've tried mayo in rockfish cakes before, but the oil was too deep and the mayo cooked out and left rockfish flakes.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think broiling would work as mayo is mostly oil.
I'm thinking that this is the way to go. I've never had a bad crabcake except one that had green peppers in it. That totally ruined it for me. :dead: