47" Lcd...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sheeeit....

Lugnut said:
:twitch: Better not watch any pr0n...

:lmao:

...this is gonna bring a whole new perspective to rodeo night!

:larry:

"Lookout, honey! Hide! It's a galactic battlecruiser! Arggghhhh!"

"Oh. Sorry. It was just Star Whores..."

ylexot

Super Genius
AndyMarquisLIVE said:
Have a 61-inch DLP TV at home. There's a dramatic difference between 1080p HDTV and 640*480 analog TV.
I don't think anyone broadcasts in 1080p yet. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nor will they...

ylexot said:

...ever, now that I bought one. Why, they'll suddenly skip right over P and Q and go straight to R.

:jameo:

duzzey1a

ylexot said:

No. Broadcast are not transmitting 1080p. But, it will be the next logical progression for digital television. The only thing is that it will be a feature set of hd-dvd players coming down the line.

C

chess

ylexot said:

they dont... but gears of war for 360 will now play in 1080p....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm wondering...

Homesick said:
:lol: Describes perfectly what happened to me. After setting up at home was very disappointed till the HD upgrade. Now? wow

I enjoy seeing people are not as perfect as they have appeared in the past on television. I remember thinking "am I really seeing that?" The next morning in my newspaper there was an article about this very thing, how the people on television are not very happy about this, Diane Sawyer for one, she said people will now see the bags under her eyes after a night of staying up too late. Reportly make-up artist are trying to figure out how to fix this.

Hang in there, believe the report is in two years all channels will be broadcast in HD.

...if HD will change TV content, which is to say the way shows are written and directed.

I was on the phone bragging to our boy last night that I'd joined the fraternity of HD, which he'd done months ago. So, he says "Just wait until you see Discovery HD..."

I watched the Discovery Sunrise show this morning and actually sat there for 20 minutes watching a Turkish harbor on the Med wake up. Calm waters, a buoy in the channel. A cat. Rusty boats. A fishing crew getting going, slowly, smoking a cigarette. Not one word. No commentaty, only a small blurb every 5 minutes or so saying "6:51am, EEST, Blah Harbor, Turkey, in use for 2,200 years"

Last night, we watched a show about Europe; went to Rome. Then we went to China. Baby daughter and I were mesmerized. Now, she usually likes cartoons and Flav o' Flav or Americas next Top Vapid Person and I want politics or history or sports.

It was wonderful, educational and I'd actually gotten that feeling whenever you do something good with a kid; read them a book, do homework together, ie, learning something.

It's always been said that a picture is worth a thousand words and I'm curious if the compelling nature of HD will cut down on a lot of space filling dialogue and focus more on letting things speak for themselves.

I mean, will reporters stop asking people how they feel about their house burning down and let the distress on the persons face tell more of the story?

I've already noticed that sporting events, football and basketball, I feel like I'm there and all I want is what I can't see, maybe down and distance. I don't need some ex jock to tell me AI just made a hell of a move or that the linebacker just knocked the snot out of the running back; I can SEE it. Commentary, like real life, is starting to be background noise, enhancement, like real life, instead of the primary story teller like it is with the suddenly unspeakable bad quality of even a 32" regular TV.

I can tell you about Niagra all day long but it's nothing, NOTHING compared to seeing it, being there. Is HD that close, that kinda of 'real'? So far, it's the difference between a billboard and an art museum, to me.

Is a revolution afoot? For the better, much better?

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Larry Gude said:
I've already noticed that sporting events, football and basketball, I feel like I'm there and all I want is what I can't see, maybe down and distance. I don't need some ex jock to tell me AI just made a hell of a move or that the linebacker just knocked the snot out of the running back; I can SEE it. Commentary, like real life, is starting to be background noise, enhancement, like real life, instead of the primary story teller like it is with the suddenly unspeakable bad quality of even a 32" regular TV.

Is a revolution afoot? For the better, much better?

I'd love to see in the future an option to shut off the commentary.. Keep the crowd noise, focus on the field noise, but shut off the play by play BS.. or at least give me a MUTE MADDEN button..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But I'm wondering...

itsbob said:
I'd love to see in the future an option to shut off the commentary.. Keep the crowd noise, focus on the field noise, but shut off the play by play BS.. or at least give me a MUTE MADDEN button..

...if HD won't bring that about? Nothing is more self analytical than television and not many things are more copycat.

The moment people notice that this show or that is pulling more and more viewers and the show is intentionally lighter on commentary and heavier on visual message the herd will follow.

I'm just wondering if it will actually happen. I already know what has changed me as a viewer in terms of HD vs. analogue.

Claff

I picked up a 40" 1080p Sony about a month ago. Eventually I'll go get a Comcast HD box but understand you can pull in HD programming over-the-air? Not sure if I need one of those $100 antennas or just try some rabbit ears but has anyone had luck pulling in HD this way?

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Homesick said:
On your roof? You sure? Just wondering cause, you see...

I had Direct but, have now switched to Dish. Reason being, Dish was offering a better deal and their dish could be on my roof. Direct said with the HD upgrade, they'd have to put the new dish on a pole in the yard because of it being a little bigger and heavier...

Same happened to me (have a 42" Samsung plasma HDTV), I wanted to swap out DirectTV dishes and the new dish was so much larger I had to yard mount it so now I have two dishes, the older one still feeds 3 rooms with normal TV's and the new one is dedicated to the family room HDTV only. :coffee:

Before mounting an HDTV dish to your roof, consider stormy days ripping it and the corner of your roof down... :coffee:

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
chernmax said:
Same happened to me (have a 42" Samsung plasma HDTV), I wanted to swap out DirectTV dishes and the new dish was so much larger I had to yard mount it so now I have two dishes, the older one still feeds 3 rooms with normal TV's and the new one is dedicated to the family room HDTV only. :coffee:

Before mounting an HDTV dish to your roof, consider stormy days ripping it and the corner of your roof down... :coffee:

So your old dish can still feed other TV's? That might not might not be a bad idea.

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Should of held out for this. It's really the BOMB!

It's got a contrast ratio over 100,000 to 1. LCD can't even dream of

touching.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/753/753836p1.html

CES 2007: Impressions of Pioneer's "SED Killing" Plasma
Dramatic breakthrough in Plasma-tech, observed.
by Gerry Block

<script>showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : '');</script> January 9, 2007 - Pioneer has held a position as one of the preeminent forces is Plasma HDTVs for a number of years. Plasma, as a general technology, is known for the accuracy with which the technology is able to handle contrast, across the board superior in contrast-ratio (the difference between the brightest colors and pure black) among the various HDTV technologies. In 2006 SED prototypes blew us away with contrast-ratios up to 100,000:1, massively superior to the general 3,000:1 contrast-ratio common among LCDs and other HDTV-techs. SED technology has been subject to many delays, however, and is currently slated for release sometime in 2008. Pioneer has taken advantage of the situation, and at this CES is demonstrating, in closed-door sessions, next-gen Plasma displays capable of even more dramatic performance figures.

IGN Gear attended a demonstration of Pioneer's upcoming Plasma displays and walked away as impressed as we get. Pioneer won't provide contrast-ratio figures on its next-gen Plasma technology, citing the figure as un-measurable. We'll assume that means more than 100,000:1, but we'll have to wait for specifics when they are eventually made available by third-party testing. Regardless, we left the Pioneer demonstration just as excited as when we walked out of Toshiba's SED demonstration exactly one year ago.

The demo session took place in a closed room wherein Pioneer's currently available 60-inch Plasma display was compared to their newest tech, which, we were told, is an entirely new engineering effort rather than any image-processing upgrade to existing technology. In comparison to what is generally though of as best-of-breed image quality, Pioneer's new plasma display was astounding. The demo began with both screens in idle-black. That is, the new plasma display looked black; Pioneer's current plasma looked shockingly gray and over-lit. Over the course of a variety of sources including an in-house demo reel and clips of Haunted Mansion, the new Pioneer model put the previous version to absolute shame.

We haven't seen better black-level performance since we were treated to Toshiba's SED demo a year ago. Though a head-to-head comparison is impossible, Pioneer's new display tech appeared easily surpassed everything we've seen in the recent HDTV space. Not only are the blacks at CRT-quality, but color contrast, even in red, is remarkably vibrant and highly differentiated in shade.

Even more impressive than the picture-quality of Pioneer's new Plasma design is the fact that the displays will reach the market place in a matter of months. Pioneer will roll out the new units this summer, beating SED displays to market by a solid year. Pioneer representatives expressed some concerns regarding the expense of the technology, which we fully expect to first appear at a high premium. Nevertheless, whatever magic Pioneer has developed for the displays we witnessed will be sure to trickle down to later models in future months and years.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/753/753475p1.html

http://media.ign.com/ign/images/events/745/2007/article_header.gif
CES 2007: Pioneer Kicks SED Tech in Groin
Announces new plasma display technology it claims is better than Toshiba/Canon's CES 2006 standout.
by Matt Casamassina http://media.ign.com/ign/images/readmyblog.gif

<script>showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : '');</script> January 7, 2007 - There's no doubt that Pioneer makes a mean plasma, but now the manufacturer says it has developed new display technology that "surpasses both LCD and SED regardless of lighting conditions."

A bold allegation. We were on hand at last year's CES to see SED television in motion and we were so impressed with the clarity and black levels of the displays, which combine the elegance of flat panels with the performance of traditional CRTs, that we named it the tech of the show.

Pioneer stated from CES 2007 that its new unnamed SED killer "will change the competitive landscape of the flat-screen market." Evidently this new display breakthrough is the result of a re-engineered infrastructure, including an enhanced panel and filter. In side-by-side comparisons with competing formats, including SED, this new Pioneer mystery tech just looks better, offering deeper blacks and more vivid colors, even in brightly lit rooms. Unfortunately, we haven't yet seen this new display for our ourselves so we'll have to take the company's word for it -- at least for now.​

Last edited:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
I still haven't bought my tv yet. :whistle: But, I narrowed it down to 23" -26" and not more than $600 price tag (for sure). I have been checking many websites for the best deal (probably why it's taking so long).

But, I was wondering what color are the tv's being made now. I want to keep up.The reason I ask is because I got my new pc and printer and they are both a glossy white and silver. I thought pc's were still black and smoke grey. :yikes:

I found a tv that I am ready to purchase based on price inch and color and it's very pretty and sheeny. :biggrin: Click Here?

Aint it a pretty sight? :dance:

I don't want a big tv because it would look too odd. People would come in, see the tv, look at me, then quickly turn their head away to something else or just bust out laughing, or give me that what were you thinking look. :lmao:

I want my tv but I am not sure what to buy. Also, this is an online offer so I don't think it would be cheaper in the store if available at all. Help me out one mo'gain peeps? TIA :flowers:

Kerad

Claff said:
I picked up a 40" 1080p Sony about a month ago. Eventually I'll go get a Comcast HD box but understand you can pull in HD programming over-the-air? Not sure if I need one of those $100 antennas or just try some rabbit ears but has anyone had luck pulling in HD this way?

If your TV came with a built-in tuner, you will be able to get the hi-def broadcasts (ABC, NBC, etc...) over the air.