5 year old suspended for cap gun

pebbles

I'd just like to point out that the child was NOT "interrogated" for 2 hours like the parents stated. I just knew that they were full of chit.

Apparently the 2 hours is how long it took the school to notify the parents.

AND it's all about who's story you choose to believe.....

bilbur

Are you people crazy? Can't you people see the true danger here? The kid could have pulled the gun out and the bus driver could have seen it in her rear view mirror. After seeing the gun she could have panicked thinking a little person assassin had made his way on the bus. Panicking could have caused her to loose control of the bus crashing into a puppy day-care/fuel storage centre causing a massive explosion that could make Hiroshima look like a fire cracker. All the smoke from the explosion and the now burning St Mary's County would block out the sun causing all of the plants to die and ushering in the next ice age.:cds: Think about this the next time you think a child having a toy is OK.

Are you people crazy? Can't you people see the true danger here? The kid could have pulled the gun out and the bus driver could have seen it in her rear view mirror. After seeing the gun she could have panicked thinking a little person assassin had made his way on the bus. Panicking could have caused her to loose control of the bus crashing into a puppy day-care/fuel storage centre causing a massive explosion that could make Hiroshima look like a fire cracker. All the smoke from the explosion and the now burning St Mary's County would block out the sun causing all of the plants to die and ushering in the next ice age.:cds: Think about this the next time you think a child having a toy is OK.

:eyebrow: I am no longer the most strung-out forumite.

Congratulations.

smilin

BOXER NATION

Calvert...please.
We let our kids have excused days off in St.Mary's during hunting season.
:yahoo:

JoeChenelly

This guy Joe Chenelly sounds like a real a$$hole, this is all about a cap gun, UFB, guess he was afraid someone would shoot the cap gun

"Joe Chenelly: Obviously, this is troubling news. To be upfront, I have known this student’s family on a personal level for a couple of years. Two of my five children attend Dowell — one in kindergarten. As a Board member, I have to reserve judgment until all the facts of the situation are known, but I am deeply concerned about this."

Toy Pistol on School Bus Leaves Unanswered Questions | Southern Maryland News Net

Hello, RPMDAD. What did I do to warrant that from you? I suppose your response is why most elected types stay quiet when something bad happens. I am speaking up, letting it be known that I see the problems in this situation and am working toward creating better policies. I have been working with the family of this young boy since the incident occurred, and I have been willing to answer, to the best of my ability, whatever my fellow citizens want to know. As someone else noted in this thread, withholding judgement until all the details are known is the only wise thing I could do. All that said, I do appreciate your interest in this situation and stand ready to address your concerns. Thank you, Joe Chenelly, Calvert County Board of Education, Member, (410) 357-1123

drivingdaisy

Apparently the 2 hours is how long it took the school to notify the parents.

AND it's all about who's story you choose to believe.....

How would the parents know how long their child was questioned? Its not like the 5 year old can tell them so they would only have that information from school officials anyway.

pebbles

How would the parents know how long their child was questioned? Its not like the 5 year old can tell them so they would only have that information from school officials anyway.

True. I'm not saying I believe either story 100%, just saying that school officials could be stretching the truth to cover their butts just as easy as the parents could stretch the truth.

Either way, if the questioning only last 5-7 minutes or whatever the school reported, how come they couldn't notify the parents sooner?

drivingdaisy

True. I'm not saying I believe either story 100%, just saying that school officials could be stretching the truth to cover their butts just as easy as the parents could stretch the truth.

Either way, if the questioning only last 5-7 minutes or whatever the school reported, how come they couldn't notify the parents sooner?

There's only a handful of people who know exactly what happened and I'm not one of them. But once the parents claimed the 5 year old kid was questioned for 2 hours, I begin to question the motives/accusations/honesty of the parents. As for why it took longer to contact the parents, who knows? Maybe they wanted to speak to other kids on the bus and the bus driver about what happened to have a more complete picture before calling the parents. There could be a reasonable explanation.

(And I do think it is extreme for a 5 year old to be suspended for bringing a toy gun to school/bus-unless he was a repeat offender or something more to it. BUT that is the policy. And as many have said more people need to challenge these policies that are against them.)

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Are you people crazy? Can't you people see the true danger here? The kid could have pulled the gun out and the bus driver could have seen it in her rear view mirror. After seeing the gun she could have panicked thinking a little person assassin had made his way on the bus. .

Like this guy, just ask Tywin Lannister.

Attachments

• Tyrion-Lannister.jpg
    Tyrion-Lannister.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 78

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
What the hell.

I just heard about this story, how do these people still have jobs? If a school questioned my child without my presence like that, I would be taking everyone's job from the vice principle all the way up. UFB.

Brocktune

My 2 cents

Last week my 5-year old got sent to the principal for pretending to shoot at someone (holding some plastic toy). How did I find out? My 5-year old told me all about it. It never occurred to me to be upset that I wasn't notified prior to interrogation/questioning/fact-finding/interviewing/whatever buzz word you want to slant it with. However, I was upset that no adult bothered to let me know what had happened that day (and I went in, politely, the next day for answers).

Why do people think the parents deserve a phone call before their kid is questioned? I am not being rhetorical--I am genuinely curious. Is it so that you can advise your kids not to answer any questions? If so, doesn't that show your child an "us against them" mentality?

thurley42

HY;FR
Last week my 5-year old got sent to the principal for pretending to shoot at someone (holding some plastic toy). How did I find out? My 5-year old told me all about it. It never occurred to me to be upset that I wasn't notified prior to interrogation/questioning/fact-finding/interviewing/whatever buzz word you want to slant it with. However, I was upset that no adult bothered to let me know what had happened that day (and I went in, politely, the next day for answers).

Why do people think the parents deserve a phone call before their kid is questioned? I am not being rhetorical--I am genuinely curious. Is it so that you can advise your kids not to answer any questions? If so, doesn't that show your child an "us against them" mentality?

Wow....I'm really glad you're not my parent...

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

A 5 year old is easily led. Middle school and up I wouldn't find it so important to be involved fromt he get go. But you can make a 5 year old swear they saw santa claus smooching the easter bunny on the playground yesterday with very little effort.

Catman2

Has anyone noticed that the Dowell kid's lawyer is Robin Ficker, a known PG sleazebag ambulance chaser that lately has taken on many similar cases? Known for heckling @ Wizards games,

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Has anyone noticed that the Dowell kid's lawyer is Robin Ficker, a known PG sleazebag ambulance chaser that lately has taken on many similar cases? Known for heckling @ Wizards games,

Not touching the content of your comment as I know nothing about that person.

I will just point out that teachers are generally not very knowledgable about which lawyers have stellar reputations for different areas of law. Just isn't something we encounter on a regular basis, or need to know.

(I think my first sentence might have proved my point...)

BernieP

Resident PIA

Generally speaking there are a lot of dumb lawsuits filed that just clog the court system. But before you dismiss them you may find one day you need that sleaze bag ambulance chaser. If everybody, including insurance companies, doctors... were 100 percent honest and ethical we might not need them. But they aren't.

If this lawyer has similiar cases it might be a good thing. Maybe he can consolidate and get a class action suit that saves the courts time and money.

willie

He is a product of Montgomery County.

Brocktune

Agree

A 5 year old is easily led. Middle school and up I wouldn't find it so important to be involved fromt he get go. But you can make a 5 year old swear they saw santa claus smooching the easter bunny on the playground yesterday with very little effort.

Fair point--thanks.