$7.50 per hour St Mary's Co School substitute???

nosey

I did it for about 4 year in AACo. I was lucky b/c I coached at the school for a season before I started subbing and knew some of the kids. For some reason I had their respect and could always count on one or 2 in the class to re-assure the rest I was reasonable and no pushover. After awhile the school saw that I could actually teach a lesson plan and had jobs lined up for the next few months. I got to know the classes that I did not want to cover and actually had certain teachers requesting me. I think pay was around $90/day with no benefits. This is about 25 years ago, but the school dod not have a good rep then. It was a good day when there weren't anymore than 3 fights at the school. I enjoyed the kids, but it is a rough way to make a living. Long-term subs got pro-rated pay.

Geek

You get what you pay for. At $7.50 per hour you are getting exactly what you pay for. I pay a teenager $10.00 per hour for babysitting my youngen's....I can't imagine what kind of "professionals" they are getting for $7.50 per hour.

All the subs I know are either retired teachers or Stay at home Moms with a college degree :shrug:

ocean733

I work at Kindercare and get paid $15.50/hour plus benefits. It's a good thing that my husband is retired Military and makes the money.

Ladybug76

All the subs I know are either retired teachers or Stay at home Moms with a college degree :shrug:

:howdy:Thanks! I have a Master's and sub at the school my kids go to. With a full-time job, daycare was killing us $$$, plus I missed my kids. The money isn't great, but I don't have any complaints and I don't have to pay for childcare.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
You may want to check the BOE website employment opportunities. I believe the substitute teaching salary is sliding scale dependent upon education and experience.

You may want to check the BOE website employment opportunities. I believe the substitute teaching salary is sliding scale dependent upon education and experience.

I won't have my BA until december.
Substitute Employees
Substitute teachers are hired to teach students in the absence of a teacher, on a daily or long-term basis. Preferred applicants have had some experience in working with children. Substitutes are paid every two weeks during the school year, based upon the number of days worked. A substitute for a secretary or a paraeducator is paid $55 per day. A substitute teacher without a bachelor's degree is paid $55 and a substitute teacher with a degree is paid $65 per day. A substitute teacher who is a retiree from SMCPS or within the state of Maryland is paid $75 per day. As a substitute, you can:
Make a difference for the children of our community.
Gain experience in an educational environment.
Determine your own days and hours of availability.
Select the schools in which you want to work.
Be at home when school is not in session.
Maintain your status as a full-time teacher applicant.
Earn extra money while you are working part-time elsewhere.
Substitute teacher applicants are required to take the Substitute Teacher Training Course offered through St. Mary’s County Public Schools. There is no fee for the course. The course is currently being offered monthly and is subject to change. St. Mary's County Public Schools requires all employees to have a full background check including state and FBI. The fee for a background check is $42.

Solja_Boy

This is what St Mary's Co Public Schools pay substitutes. I was not hired for a job I applied for and thought I'd do that and wait for something else to come up. What are they getting for that kind of money and no benifits??? I called Calvert Co and will make $20.00 more per day there. I mean people in McDonalds make more than $7.50 per hour.

You are stupid! Subs have to make more than $7.50 per hour! The dirty Mexican that cuts my grass makes $12.50 per hour!!!!

Ladybug76

I won't have my BA until december.
Substitute Employees
Substitute teachers are hired to teach students in the absence of a teacher, on a daily or long-term basis. Preferred applicants have had some experience in working with children. Substitutes are paid every two weeks during the school year, based upon the number of days worked. A substitute for a secretary or a paraeducator is paid $55 per day. A substitute teacher without a bachelor's degree is paid $55 and a substitute teacher with a degree is paid $65 per day. A substitute teacher who is a retiree from SMCPS or within the state of Maryland is paid $75 per day. As a substitute, you can:
Make a difference for the children of our community.
Gain experience in an educational environment.
Determine your own days and hours of availability.
Select the schools in which you want to work.
Be at home when school is not in session.
Maintain your status as a full-time teacher applicant.
Earn extra money while you are working part-time elsewhere.
Substitute teacher applicants are required to take the Substitute Teacher Training Course offered through St. Mary’s County Public Schools. There is no fee for the course. The course is currently being offered monthly and is subject to change. St. Mary's County Public Schools requires all employees to have a full background check including state and FBI. The fee for a background check is $42.

You can also make more doing a long term sub as well. They are supposed to have people with degrees long term sub... but you may be able to do it if they really need someone. I forget what the break down is, but for the shorter terms (something like two weeks to 30 days) it's $75 and for (I think) more than 30 days it's $85.

Good luck! I have heard that you have a better chance of getting a job with them if you sub first. I know it's frustrating though.

Stonehenge

This is what St Mary's Co Public Schools pay substitutes. I was not hired for a job I applied for and thought I'd do that and wait for something else to come up. What are they getting for that kind of money and no benifits??? I called Calvert Co and will make $20.00 more per day there. I mean people in McDonalds make more than $7.50 per hour.

I believe that is the going rate for babysitters now. That's really what most substitute teachers do; babysit the class while the "real" teacher is away. Just think if you worked in McDonalds, you would be actually "working" for your money. Are people who work in McDonalds a lower class of person, they work actually harder than you do, so just accept the $7.50 per hour and get over it.

T

toppick08

I believe that is the going rate for babysitters now. That's really what most substitute teachers do; babysit the class while the "real" teacher is away. Just think if you worked in McDonalds, you would be actually "working" for your money. Are people who work in McDonalds a lower class of person, they work actually harder than you do, so just accept the $7.50 per hour and get over it.

:yay:

In St Mary's ..yes. BUT Calvert co has higher standards and pays more. And after putting in all my info and with them noting I will have my BA by december I was offered something else with bennys.
I just don't understand why anyone would work for St Mary's as a sub for those low wages. And yes they could work at Micky D's for the same money but at full time they would get benny's too.

Ladybug76

In St Mary's ..yes. BUT Calvert co has higher standards and pays more. And after putting in all my info and with them noting I will have my BA by december I was offered something else with bennys.
I just don't understand why anyone would work for St Mary's as a sub for those low wages. And yes they could work at Micky D's for the same money but at full time they would get benny's too.

Seriously! In CA, subs were paid $100-$150 a day, but you had to have a degree and pass an exam (not like the one here). I think the pay is so low here because the standards are lower--who knows. I'm glad I don't need the benefits or I wouldn't be able to do it. Good luck with your new job.

LOVE

All of you make good points about the money and benefits. Yes, I sub in St. Mary's and the money isn't great but I don't do it for the money. I do it because this is the county were I live and grew up and these are the schools that I went to...that my daughter goes to and I care enough to take whatever money they pay. I subbed today and the class had work to do and they did it. I did not sit at the desk once. I walked around the room and helped people and went over the work when they were finished. There are many people who think it is just babysitting, but it's not if you don't treat it like that. The people who do think that way and sit at the desk all day are the ones that get treated like crap and get no respect. The kids in my classes said they wanted me to be their teacher and that made me really feel good because not only did they respect me and behave but they had enough faith in me to think I could handle it everyday.

I really don't care what kind of hits I get for this but you should really not speak for everyone when you throw your opinions around. I instruct not babysit.

Same here I work ten hours Monday - Thursday and I sub every other Friday at my sons school. I don't do it for the money, I do it because it makes feel better about myself being more involved and having the ability to help others.

All of you make good points about the money and benefits. Yes, I sub in St. Mary's and the money isn't great but I don't do it for the money. I do it because this is the county were I live and grew up and these are the schools that I went to...that my daughter goes to and I care enough to take whatever money they pay. I subbed today and the class had work to do and they did it. I did not sit at the desk once. I walked around the room and helped people and went over the work when they were finished. There are many people who think it is just babysitting, but it's not if you don't treat it like that. The people who do think that way and sit at the desk all day are the ones that get treated like crap and get no respect. The kids in my classes said they wanted me to be their teacher and that made me really feel good because not only did they respect me and behave but they had enough faith in me to think I could handle it everyday.

I really don't care what kind of hits I get for this but you should really not speak for everyone when you throw your opinions around. I instruct not babysit.

Please tell us you do not teach gammar.