Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What has gone wrong with this country!

I was from around Tifton...

Okay, you were about 70 to 80 miles west on 82 out around I-75.  Think I might have cruised through there once or twice several years ago.

Yep ... you were close by... I'm very familiar with Hwy 82 and I-75...

vicos on 9:04 pm on April 17, 2002[br]P.S. I've seen alot of ads in the somd.com classifieds lately posted by people with assistance begging for housing. #I get the feeling that the general experience with renting to these people is negative? #Anyone have any real life stories? #What do they do, destroy the property?
    vicos.... read the past posts from Dalmationlady....  I know it is true and witnessed myself before she moved up here!  And I am sure it is exactly that way where ever there is populated section 8!
    Nothing is certain except death, taxes - and calls from telemarketers regardless of do-not-call.gov. That don't work! Ask AT&T!

yornoc on 5:02 pm on April 17, 2002[br]Sorry DarbyOhara, but I think in this case (based on the little I know about this person) the system is working 'cause this person is making progress on having a better life.
    Man, you are clueless!  We both know very little about this person and we can assume ALL day long about her "PRESENT" situation... that was not the whole point of this debate!  It was about the system our government and people have been allowing, it is about someone rakin in quite a lot of money for so-called "assistance"...  $925 is NOT assistance... that is SCHWEET MEAT to the BEAT!  We're talking about her wanting to throw in a few more hundred for rent... (guess that would get her a pretty nice place, don't you think)... and 2 kids and single!  YOU go figure WHO is paying for them (this is another debate, please refrain on it here)!  and going for a law degree so she can learn how to out wit the system more (and since she is ON assistance, YOU and I are paying for that degree)... Please do your homework before commenting.... then again, you could be one of those people making the decisions about people like that... lol
    Nothing is certain except death, taxes - and calls from telemarketers regardless of do-not-call.gov. That don't work! Ask AT&T!

I don't particularly have a problem with this lady receiving assistance if she's in school, has 2 children, and is single... however, MANY MANY women have made it through a situation like this ON THEIR OWN without assistance by getting a job (sometimes two) and going to school at the same time. My next door neighbor is a perfect example.

I also think it's rather shoddy that she says she gets $925 per month, but she has $300-$400 EXTRA she can also put toward rent. Well, if she can afford THAT MUCH toward her rent, why is she getting such a high rate of assistance (which is even more than my rent)? Why not get a place like mine ($850/month), have some pride, and pay half the rent on your own!

seasquirt on 1:00 pm on April 18, 2002[br]I also think it's rather shoddy that she says she gets $925 per month, but she has $300-$400 EXTRA she can also put toward rent. Well, if she can afford THAT MUCH toward her rent, why is she getting such a high rate of assistance (which is even more than my rent)? Why not get a place like mine ($850/month), have some pride, and pay half the rent on your own!
    seasquirt.... that is the point.. she is rakin in everything she can... she is suppose to be on "assistance", but is getting 925 for housing and with 2 kids and working on a law degree... I would say somebody is picking up the tab for hundreds more...  Can you say "child support"... and that is the whole point... I am sure the government that allows her assisance doesn't know about all that other income (if they did, she wouldn't be getting 925) and I am sure she is learning (or has learned) the system to rake in all she can... afterall, she's working on the right profession (that is also another debate topic elsewhere).

She apparently can't find a section 8 apartment that is suitable.. cause she will get garbage for her whoppin 925!  So she wants someone with a house, so she can live it up while she's on this so-called assistance.  Our tax dollars are paying for it all....  I am NOT against seeing someone get help and back on there feet... I am against abuse!  Supporters of these kind of people are just as wrong!  I am not saying you are a supporter, I am saying that in general....

It actually made me heel over laughing when I read that one person stating that the system is working cause it's putting her through school so she can make more money to pay back in taxes... ahahahahahah!  There is the thought of the year!  Wonder if they know what "Fickled Finger of Fate" is all about.....

I don't think a flat tax is fair.  Why should someone who can't afford certain items pay the same tax rate as someone who can.  By the way, if you pay a flat tax, you will probably pay out more taxes since there won't be an interest deduction, chartiy deduction, ...  Don't  get me wrong, I don't support people taking advantage of the government, but that is a 2way street.  If the higher income paid higher taxes, than this woman and her comrades would not pay such high taxes and would not need such support.  Also, if the government didn't make people feel that they can't make it (free money) than I think people would take more responsibility for their own actions.
    'The Constitution is an impediment to these liberals like Dick Gephardt. And you know why? The Constitution limits the power of the Government."

I think the term flat tax doesn't mean that everyone pays the same amount.  I think it means everyone pays the same percentage of what they make.  If someone makes minimum wage they don't have to pay as much as the Senetor who makes $300,000 a year.  That's why it'll never happen because these pork sucking politicians don't want to cough up any of their hardly earned pay checks.  I could be wrong though.  It's a great idea because it doesn't break the poor and it doesn't let the rich get richer faster.  

I'm all for it.  

A flat tax would be a great idea!

An alternative would be replacing the federal income tax with a national sales tax.

Here's another, less extreme suggestion: Eliminate all deductions other than the mortgage interest deduction, so people are still encouraged to buy homes, and raise the personal exemptions to $10,000 apiece.

For property taxes, how about deducting $25,000 or so from the taxable value of the home, and then raising the tax rate to make up the lost revenue? This would give a break to first-time home buyers.

(Edited by Tonio at 5:04 pm on April 18, 2002)
    The power of Vrai compels you! The power of Vrai compels you!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.