What has gone wrong with this country!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Okay, you were about 70 to 80 miles west on 82 out around I-75.  Think I might have cruised through there once or twice several years ago.

DarbyOhara

Musician
vicos on 9:04 pm on April 17, 2002[br]P.S. I've seen alot of ads in the somd.com classifieds lately posted by people with assistance begging for housing.  I get the feeling that the general experience with renting to these people is negative?  Anyone have any real life stories?  What do they do, destroy the property?

vicos.... read the past posts from Dalmationlady....  I know it is true and witnessed myself before she moved up here!  And I am sure it is exactly that way where ever there is populated section 8!

DarbyOhara

Musician
yornoc on 5:02 pm on April 17, 2002[br]Sorry DarbyOhara, but I think in this case (based on the little I know about this person) the system is working 'cause this person is making progress on having a better life.

Man, you are clueless!  We both know very little about this person and we can assume ALL day long about her "PRESENT" situation... that was not the whole point of this debate!  It was about the system our government and people have been allowing, it is about someone rakin in quite a lot of money for so-called "assistance"...  $925 is NOT assistance... that is SCHWEET MEAT to the BEAT!  We're talking about her wanting to throw in a few more hundred for rent... (guess that would get her a pretty nice place, don't you think)... and 2 kids and single!  YOU go figure WHO is paying for them (this is another debate, please refrain on it here)!  and going for a law degree so she can learn how to out wit the system more (and since she is ON assistance, YOU and I are paying for that degree)... Please do your homework before commenting.... then again, you could be one of those people making the decisions about people like that... lol

seasquirt

Vermicious Knid
I don't particularly have a problem with this lady receiving assistance if she's in school, has 2 children, and is single... however, MANY MANY women have made it through a situation like this ON THEIR OWN without assistance by getting a job (sometimes two) and going to school at the same time. My next door neighbor is a perfect example.

I also think it's rather shoddy that she says she gets $925 per month, but she has $300-$400 EXTRA she can also put toward rent. Well, if she can afford THAT MUCH toward her rent, why is she getting such a high rate of assistance (which is even more than my rent)? Why not get a place like mine ($850/month), have some pride, and pay half the rent on your own!

DarbyOhara

Musician
seasquirt on 1:00 pm on April 18, 2002[br]I also think it's rather shoddy that she says she gets $925 per month, but she has $300-$400 EXTRA she can also put toward rent. Well, if she can afford THAT MUCH toward her rent, why is she getting such a high rate of assistance (which is even more than my rent)? Why not get a place like mine ($850/month), have some pride, and pay half the rent on your own!

seasquirt.... that is the point.. she is rakin in everything she can... she is suppose to be on "assistance", but is getting 925 for housing and with 2 kids and working on a law degree... I would say somebody is picking up the tab for hundreds more...  Can you say "child support"... and that is the whole point... I am sure the government that allows her assisance doesn't know about all that other income (if they did, she wouldn't be getting 925) and I am sure she is learning (or has learned) the system to rake in all she can... afterall, she's working on the right profession (that is also another debate topic elsewhere).

She apparently can't find a section 8 apartment that is suitable.. cause she will get garbage for her whoppin 925!  So she wants someone with a house, so she can live it up while she's on this so-called assistance.  Our tax dollars are paying for it all....  I am NOT against seeing someone get help and back on there feet... I am against abuse!  Supporters of these kind of people are just as wrong!  I am not saying you are a supporter, I am saying that in general....

It actually made me heel over laughing when I read that one person stating that the system is working cause it's putting her through school so she can make more money to pay back in taxes... ahahahahahah!  There is the thought of the year!  Wonder if they know what "Fickled Finger of Fate" is all about.....

James D

I don't think a flat tax is fair.  Why should someone who can't afford certain items pay the same tax rate as someone who can.  By the way, if you pay a flat tax, you will probably pay out more taxes since there won't be an interest deduction, chartiy deduction, ...  Don't  get me wrong, I don't support people taking advantage of the government, but that is a 2way street.  If the higher income paid higher taxes, than this woman and her comrades would not pay such high taxes and would not need such support.  Also, if the government didn't make people feel that they can't make it (free money) than I think people would take more responsibility for their own actions.

M Bucker

I think the term flat tax doesn't mean that everyone pays the same amount.  I think it means everyone pays the same percentage of what they make.  If someone makes minimum wage they don't have to pay as much as the Senetor who makes $300,000 a year.  That's why it'll never happen because these pork sucking politicians don't want to cough up any of their hardly earned pay checks.  I could be wrong though.  It's a great idea because it doesn't break the poor and it doesn't let the rich get richer faster.  

I'm all for it.  

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
A flat tax would be a great idea!

An alternative would be replacing the federal income tax with a national sales tax.

Here's another, less extreme suggestion: Eliminate all deductions other than the mortgage interest deduction, so people are still encouraged to buy homes, and raise the personal exemptions to $10,000 apiece.

For property taxes, how about deducting $25,000 or so from the taxable value of the home, and then raising the tax rate to make up the lost revenue? This would give a break to first-time home buyers.

(Edited by Tonio at 5:04 pm on April 18, 2002)

James D

While I believe - Fair is Fair, I don't believe your system is fair.

Let me start off by saying I think the EIC is wrong - Why give people money back from taxes that they did not pay - does not make sense to me and it sounds like back door welfare.

But in saying that, I don't believe families making less than $40,000 should pay income tax.  Why - They can't afford it.  While the annual charge would only be (15%) $6,000 before any deduction - They should be able to spend that money on their family.

The short fall should be borne by the wealthy and by business.  Does this mean that the wealthy are being penalized for being successful - well that is an argument - But I would argue that paying taxes is the responsibility for those that are successful and a way to spread good will to those less fortunate.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
This post is in reply to Vicos regarding Section 8 tenants...

My ex is a real estate agent. While married, we purchased several rental properties, thinking they would be a good investment (ha ha ha). Two of them were rented to Section 8 tenants...I could fill a book with the nightmare stories regarding these properties! Our experiences with Section 8 tenants have NOT been good. The county paid approx. 80-90% of the rent, the tenant paid the rest. Collecting even THAT small amount (usually $200 or less) was a challenge, and getting a Section 8 tenant actually EVICTED for nonpayment is a 3-6-month process... Then, how do you get your money?? You can file a lien against the tenant, but then what do they own that you can attach it to?? None of the cars our tenants drove were titled in their name, and we had issues with them letting other people live with them who were not on the lease. We would report it to the Section 8 Housing office, but they would call the tenant to discuss it with them prior to investigating, and all the tenant did was hide their boyfriend's stuff when a Section 8 caseworker came over...

I "inherited" one of these townhouse rental properties via my divorce settlement – BIG mistake!!! Less than a year after I owned it, the tenant stopped paying rent – guess who had to make up the difference to keep it from going to foreclosure??? When I filed the necessary paperwork in Howard Co. to begin the eviction process, the tenant abandoned the property, leaving it full of broken furniture, personal belongs, rotten food, trash etc. Even though I did all of the fix-up work myself except for the new flooring (ALL was trashed and had to be replaced!)  the total cost was over $6K. Made DOZENS of trips to Lowes – had to replace nearly every light fixture, door knob, and even some outlets. Hauled out over 50 bags of trash...Still in shock that people can trash a house that thoroughly that they actually BREAK electrical outlets...

The good news – I could write off the rental income loss and costs of repair on my taxes. The bad news –  the way my ex depreciated the property on our prior taxes, I actually had to show a profit on the sale of the property when in reality it was over a $10K loss from the initial investment.

The moral of this story – real estate is a dubious investment at best, and renting out a property to anyone you can't get excellent references for is downright DUMB....

The system works well for the tenants, NOT as well for the landlords....

Sierra39... you've hit it right on the nose with Section 8 people..:clap:

Most have no concern about anybody but themselves and if you do try to evict one because of non-payment ect.. they will trash the place.. they think they are getting even with you for evicting them.. I did find out however.. that if they are evicted from a Section 8 housing you can keep them from renting in another Section 8. Report them to HUD.. keep pictures and documents showing what they've done. HUD will 9 times out of 10 stand with you on the matter... They can't title cars or other property in their names... cause then they wouldn't get the Section 8... Believe me ... these people know how to work the system... and the sad thing is ... they are teaching this all to their children.. They are not teaching children how to get out.. get a job.. go to school... or make something of their lives... what most are teaching them is how to get out and BEAT THE SYSTEM !!!!!!!!!:cussing:

AND IT MAKES ME MAD !!:angry:

DarbyOhara

Musician
Dalmationlady on 1:53 pm on April 23, 2002[br]They are not teaching children how to get out.. get a job.. go to school... or make something of their lives... what most are teaching them is how to get out and BEAT THE SYSTEM !!!!!!!!!:cussing:

Yeah!  but some have become even cunning enough to CON people into thinking they are trying to better themselves by getting a LAW degree off of OUR tax dollars!  Sheesh people!  Are we so blind we can't see it?  That is the purpose of this thread... this person is SUCKIN the system.. and will have a law degree... so she can do what?  Beat the system in a higher degree... We are ALL a product of our environment.... she will just be a product which is something we can't fathom... because like the few on here... they support her and her ways....  and they will get wiser...  Again, I support someone needing help to get back on their feet.. but NINE HUNDRED FR**Kin DOLLARS for rent is not support!  A PAID LAW DEGREE is not support!  She can throw in 3 or 4 hundred more for rent... think she needs support if she can whip that kind of cash around?  I said enough and I'll watch this thread.. but I am DIGUSTED with the system and the PHONEY supporters of people like this!  Think I'll write the state legislature!

S

Shanobi

Welfare to Work

Oh what are we to do with all these poor people? Let's start a class war. We'll drag out all these tokens of poverty and show all the harm they create. Thet will help us drive them away. Oh wait, we've been doing that for 200 years already.
Folks, welfare is a drop in the bucket. If a single mother with 3 kids and no job gets food stamps and temporary cash she gets barely enough to make ends meet, and that's the rule. You all are dragging out the exception to this rule with your stereotypes of welfare cheats. Sure there are people who suck from the system but hey, if we take social welfare away we just have more $$ for corporate welfare. Do we really need to subsidize McDonalds to help them market hamburgers in India and then just shrug and say "oh well" when the majority of the Indian population boycots McDonalds for killing cattle and trying to force feed a billion Hindus beef products?....

SxyPrincess

Darby,

"I paid in over 11 thousand dollars last year on federal taxes alone!"

Try having them take out over $25,000! :burning: That's more than some people make in a year.

S

Shanobi

Welfare Reform

Oh yea, let me remind you all about the Welfare Reform Act of 1996. It puts a 5 year limit on AFDC (Aid to families w/ Dependant Children) and that time limit expired last quarter. So all these families who are born and die on welfare are no more. 5 years and the chord gets cut. And now is the time that these folks have to be working or they wil have NO support. Is that the kind of reform you were looking for? Well it's been goin on for 5 years now and it's only getting more strict...Now You have to be working 30 hours a week to receive food stamps unless you have children under 17, in that case you can get about 6 months of food stamps, then the work requirement sets in. And King George II wants to up the work requirement to 40 hours a week. You ever try to work 40 hours at Burger King? It's hard to get a 40 hour week. 35 hours yea, 40 hours is tough...Whataya do?...Stop complaining like these paople are taking money out of your pocket....Your'e getting robbed of tax dollars weather we give people welfare or not...Not like your tax dollars will decrease....Class War victems

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Shanobi,

Yes, that is the kind of reform I'm looking for. I think 5 years is to long to be on welfare Why should I pay (Well my husbend-hehe) for some person to sit at home making babies and wasting the money away on cars and useless crap. My husbend and I paid $15,000 in taxes for someone to waste it. Now I know that there are cases out there where people need it, but it's not that much. And if "King George II" as you call him wants to make people on welfare work more hours, well than welcome to the real world!!!:bawl:

H

Heretic

Steps to get off Welfare

1)

Female- If you cant afford to support yourself close your legs and quit having kids (how often are the fathers of every kid different, quite often it seems)

Male- If you don't want kids to support either keep it in your pants or use protection, its cheap and effective.

2)

Put down the beer, beer is expensive and you can't better yourself while passed out drunk. Plus your setting a bad example for your kids.

3)

Get it through your thick head that nobody owes you anything, you are your own responsibility and if you decide to have kids they are your responsibility too, not mine.

4)

If you have a hard time making ends meet you really shouldnt go out and buy a Mustang because you always wanted one, be happy with a Yugo if it gets you arround.

You don't need those $400 chrome rims and blue headlights, put that money in the bank.

5)

Tell your kids they need to take school seriously so they will be able to have a good life. I went to school with many welfare kids that I knew would be on welfare all of their life, 10 years after hight school graduation they are still on welfare, most called me a dork for wanting to do well in school. The jokes is on them now (or is them).

6)

Quit smoking, its really bad for you and since you dont have the money for medical treatment it will probably kill you. It is also a dirty and expensive habbit.