Abandoned well

FairyChatMom

Just me
Our house was built in 1975, and we've got one of those round, covered concrete abandoned wells in the front yard. My husband wants to take the cover off and cave it in. I'm just as happy to leave it there, maybe adorning it with a bunch of planters...

Anyway, what would we encounter if we removed the lid? A deep hole? A pipe? Bigfoot? Would it make sense to get rid of it? Would it cost $$$$$$?

Frankly, I don't know why it bothers him. Maybe I'll just plant a bunch of azaleas to hide it...

Thanks!

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Our house was built in 1975, and we've got one of those round, covered concrete abandoned wells in the front yard. My husband wants to take the cover off and cave it in. I'm just as happy to leave it there, maybe adorning it with a bunch of planters...

Anyway, what would we encounter if we removed the lid? A deep hole? A pipe? Bigfoot? Would it make sense to get rid of it? Would it cost $$$$$$?

Frankly, I don't know why it bothers him. Maybe I'll just plant a bunch of azaleas to hide it...

Thanks!
You'll be looking at a hole about 10-25 feet into the ground lined by a concrete cylinder. It's what was called a "shallow well". Put a wishing well over it. Belvac was giving one away for free.

FairyChatMom

Just me
Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on the wishing well, tho.

When I told my husband, his response was "That's a lot of dirt." Yep. I'm thinking I'll just arrange some big pots on it and fill 'em with trailing plants or something.

Appreciate the quick response!

belvak

Happy Camper
You'll be looking at a hole about 10-25 feet into the ground lined by a concrete cylinder. It's what was called a "shallow well". Put a wishing well over it. Belvac was giving one away for free.

:smack: It's belvak you big dummy!!!

J/K :huggy:

Oh, and the wishing well is already spoken for. Should be at it's new home tomorrow!! :yay:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Okay, I've been working in the yard with Hubby and taking frequent "beer breaks", so I might be a little slow, but what/who is BF? I'm BK!! :buddies:
Black Francis you big dummy!

I had a couple beers today too and was accused of DUI. :killingme

belvak

Happy Camper
Black Francis you big dummy!

Heck no!!! I've been around here longer than BF!! Besides, I don't have the time or energy to create and/or maintain an MPD!!! There are plenty of folks here who know me and know I'm just me! :buddies:

Sorry about your accused DUI!! :huggy:

FairyChatMom

Just me
Fill it in before someones kid falls in and you wish you had.
It's got a big concrete cover over it - I know I can't move it, so I doubt some random kid is going to. Believe it or not, I'm smart enough not to leave a huge, deep hole open in my yard.

R

rhenderson

If you decide to fill it in, you should check with the county/state regarding restrictions or requirements for doing it. While your house is no longer on the shallow well, that well penetrates into the water table. Whatever you put down the well is going into the water table for the entire area.

While it might be pricey to fill it in - digging it out, redoing it and whatever other "reclamation" might be required would bankrupt most homeowners.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Fill it in before someones kid falls in and you wish you had.
As long as the lid is in good shape, it is better to leave it alone then to take the lid off and do a half-assed job filling it in. If it's not filled in properly, it'll settle and there will be a hole there still and it won't be as visible or safe as if the lid were on it.

The hole is probably still pretty deep. It's only 34 years old, how long as it been unused? There really hasn't been much opportunity for sediment to fill it in. My parents have one older than that and they still use it. They planted flowers around theirs and put a birdbath on top.

FairyChatMom

Just me
You might as well put some garden gnomes, fake flowers, and a painted tractor tire around it. :dead:
Hey - the folks we bought the house from left us 2 painted tractor tires in the back yard - maybe we can move them around to the well in front. Now I'm sorry I gave away the concrete deer and the birdbath and the red windmill...