Actors/Actresses & Politics

PmoneyandTT

Oh I thought the pope was the enemy.. Please don't take that seriously.. I didn't know the chick anyway.. Never listened to her music.. Ultimately there is a price to pay in everything you do..

Didn't she also make statements about her home land Ireland? Thats where that statement came from.

(Edited by PmoneyandTT at 9:19 am on Jan. 10, 2002)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
TT, since you don't know the real story of Kazamm you might want to MYOB.  I know you don't like to judge others and all...especially when you don't have the facts.

I'm surprised that they haven't made a law that you MUST watch certain shows or buy certain CDs from controversial entertainers.  Certainly not buying someone's work is a form of discrimination and a violation of their 1st Amendment rights.

BTW, Ken's not here today because he's having surgery - kind of serious so anyone who wants to, send a get-well line to his forums messenger.

PmoneyandTT

Well - I really don't care about the business with Kazamm - just used that as an example.. Just like you don't know all the facts about O'Reilly and Clooney.. Just want you saw on TV and what was said in the public eye.. We can all make accusations.. I never said I wasn't guilty of judging others.. I can admit that I have.. Can you?

Anyone can do anything with their money they want to do.. Your working for your money - and Im working for mine.

SxyPrincess

Blonde,

Why do you get so defensive when someone speaks up for themselves and makes a hipocrit out of you???  I'm speaking for Kaz....and have every right to speak on his behalf.  

Maybe you should stop judging others as well until YOU have all the facts.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I frankly admit that I judge people and things all the time.  It's how I choose my friends, vote, pick restaurants, movies, books, etc.  How are you supposed to decide what you like and don't like if you're not making a judgement?

Part of living in a free society is making judgements.  Duh.

Hessian

We've ripped  into a few of the Hollywood Leftists and I still cringed when I saw Baldwin on Pearl Harbor.
But...do we have some actors/actresses who stand for Family, private rights, small government, morality..etc?
*I've read some interesting things about Tim Allen...he hit a wall with alcohol and that has put things in a deeper perspective.
*Mel Gibson...really liked the stand he's taken regarding his family--brings them with him everywhere.-Great job-(defying critics in patriot)
*Tom Selleck...heck...I just plain like anybody who is 6-4+ and plays a mean game of volleyball (and he's pretty funny too...I don't see him championing some queer cause or same the ringtail monkey. (Good shooting on Quiggley Down under!)

Sorry, I'm not up on any actors/actresses since the 80's...most seem shallow, self-absorbed or consumed with Liberalism...I won't spend my money on watching them!
Veritas.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I love Mel Gibson - the way he's stayed with his wife and bazillion children all these years, even though the starlets are probably falling all over him.  I hope I never read a story about him catting around or being a jerk.

<b>Notable Conservative Entertainers and Athletes:</b>
Bruce Willis
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Charles Barkley
Gary Oldman
Bo Derek
Chuck Norris
Rick Schroeder
The Rock
Jimmy Vaughn
Steve Young
Heather Locklear

So there's the partial list of people I give my $$ to happily.

I have to make an exception for Tommy Lee Jones, who stumped for Al Gore :nerd::dead::silly::twitch:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
DJ, you know who else? Dixie Carter. Was that ever a surprise to me. I read an interview where she discussed the situation where she'd have one of her liberal rants on "Designing Women". She'd made a deal that when the script called for one of these, she'd insist to Linda Bloodworth-Thomason that she'd do it if they let her sing in the next episode.

All that ranting stuff - *acting*. Not personal conviction.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are a lot more but I was going after the more contemporary ones - not just old guys like Tom Selleck, Charlton Heston and Lee Greenwood.

About Dixie:  I could care less about some TV character's political bent.  That's not even a real person!  But that seems to be the trend - take a popular TV character and have them go on and on about their liberal Democrat "values".  Republicans are always protrayed as nuts or criminals, Democrats as the good guys.  Which is why I don't watch a whole lot of TV anymore.  Except South Park, my guilty pleasure.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Well that was one of the reasons that ticked me off about that, and other shows. See, if you want to portray a social or political issue of something - make the sides *balanced*. NOT do what they often did - show both sides, but have only *idiots* defend the other opinion with stupid irrational arguments.

Every once in a while, I'll see a movie where there will be a religious character, and they will know maybe two scriptures and be an all-round wuss. And I will then find out what I already suspect - the writer really knows nothing about religion. They were trying to be "fair" and show the religious guy's view, but it was lame and unresearched and unconvincing.

It's the same way too often with the way conservative views are portrayed. The writer often has little exposure to the philosophy and reasoning behind the opposing view, and his bias shows - he supposes the reasoning is based on ignorance, greed, racism, redneck-ism. Just for giggles and laughs, I'd like to see a show where liberals are lampooned in similar straw man fashion - not based on their 'actual' reasoning, but depicted as hating conservatives, being cowardly, financially reckless and exploiting the cause of the unempowered for self-aggrandizement. Yeah, that'd be fun.

I have a friend who campaigns for Republicans, who BEGAN as a Democrat campaigning for Dukakis, in '88. He was mortified to learn that, behind closed doors, they were every bit as unscrupulous, sneaky and bigoted as the caricature they painted of their opponents. That they DID toss bones to the groups that supported them, but that they personally despised. It was this hypocrisy that drove him out.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I thought freerepublic.com was hard on Democrats until I looked at what Democrats had to say bout conservatives on this site

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I've been to DemU and it isn't pretty.  Some of those people are seriously deranged.  There are a few loose cannons in Freeperworld too.  But it is a nice place to visit.  There are some very creative people there too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mercy!  I suppose if you're an ignoramus who never reads a paper or watches the news, you'd buy their rhetoric.  But they're engaging in some serious revisionist history and, in some instances, making it up outright.

This whole Enron thing is making me die laughing.  Talk about mountains out of molehills!  But you have to give the Dems credit for trying - just like Ali, baby...stick and move, stick and move.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One thing I've been wanting to say for awhile:

The liberal press cried big tears over the death of Herb Block, cartoonist for the Post.  Grand eulogies about his bravery, integrity, etc.  Any thinking person knew Herb Block for the liberal idiot, revisionist historian he was.

My eulogy to him (in the immortal words of the Joker):  "I'm glad you're dead!"  And that goes for Katherine Graham, too.

Another edgy day, eh Sticks? :lol:

Frank

Chairman of the Board
I never cared for Herb Block. While some editorial cartoonists could be counted on to be an equal opportunity lampoonist, Block was singularly liberal, period.

I mean, if a conservative says or does something embarassing or stupid, I can understand they'll get grilled and pilloried by the cartoonists. You have to laugh at yourself. With him, it seemed as though the Dems could do no wrong, and when they did, it was the Republicans who were wrong by pointing it out - he would draw a pic showing them to be hypocritical over it. It really got to the point where I just ignored it.

I found it somewhat comforting that I absolutely never saw his cartoons outside the post - say, in a magazine or otherwise enjoying national coverage. Too one sided to be clever.