AG Sessions wants increased asset forefiture

Chris0nllyn

How the hell does that work? Ohh hey, we noticed you are carrying $3k in cash while walking to the used car lot, with a voicemail from the owner saying he will sell you a car for $3k, and a bank withdrawal slip showing the money came from your account. This is obviously drug money as it has trace amounts of drugs on it, we are going to confiscate it and give $600 to the victim of your (money's) crimes. Who's the victim? Who cares, I got my cut.

In some cases, yes.

In 2014, civil asset forefiture seized more assets than what was burgalrized that year.

glhs837

Power with Control
How the hell does that work? Ohh hey, we noticed you are carrying $3k in cash while walking to the used car lot, with a voicemail from the owner saying he will sell you a car for $3k, and a bank withdrawal slip showing the money came from your account. This is obviously drug money as it has trace amounts of drugs on it, we are going to confiscate it and give $600 to the victim of your (money's) crimes. Who's the victim? Who cares, I got my cut.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/just...ictims-crime-through-asset-forfeiture-program

So, in this instance, it appears to be a legit use of the system. Folks obviously guilty who died or fled in cases where millions were bilked, that's not really what we are talking about when we talk about abuses of the system.

Rommey

Civil asset forfeiture is nothing more than a "Red Light/Speed Camera" scheme for the Justice departments...as always: follow the money.