Air Conditioning Question

sinwagon

I will try to keep this short, Part of your problem may be that they replaced the indoor and not the outdoor section, Unless they matched it up with that York E1RB F030, Is the inside section a York? To properly install the unit the inside coil should be matched with the outside section you can go on ARI :: Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Institute to see if the outdoor is compatible with the indoor, The York unit is a 10 seer unit which where discontinued a few years ago the minimum you can buy now is 13 seer with that said either replace the compressor or make sure the indoor coil is changed to match the new outdoor section. If they change the outdoor and not the indoor they are doing you no favors and in 2 to 5years you will be replacing the outdoor section again, To properly install the unit they need a recovery machine that will recycle all the R22 in the unit it will also pull any moisture from the line, they should put a filter drier in line, And the freon should be weighed in on a scale, If this contractor is not doing this than call another. I PM you a name of a couple of contractors last week, The one in St Marys will be less expensive but he is very thourough and you wont be dissapointed other than possibly price if this is done correctly assuming the indoor section is matched correctly the compressor should be around $1000.00 If not the indoor and outdoor section will be roughly $3500.00 Hope this helps good luck

Thanks for all the info! THe inside is not a York, it is a Jenn Air which they said was "comparable" to what was there because I questioned it too but you know how warranty companies are. Anyway, I know they did replace the coil inside because the coil had a hole in it and was spewing that freon stuff. However, they only replaced the a/c portion of the heat pump, not the heating part. SO like the top half that they replaced is silver and the bottom which they didn't is a bronze color (which was the original piece that was there)

The guy that came and checked it said he can get just the outside condensor and one that matches (although he now claims he did not look in the inside so how does he know?) I called Ice Man they are going to come by tonight to see what is going on.

M

Mousebaby

Thanks for all the info! THe inside is not a York, it is a Jenn Air which they said was "comparable" to what was there because I questioned it too but you know how warranty companies are. Anyway, I know they did replace the coil inside because the coil had a hole in it and was spewing that freon stuff. However, they only replaced the a/c portion of the heat pump, not the heating part. SO like the top half that they replaced is silver and the bottom which they didn't is a bronze color (which was the original piece that was there)

The guy that came and checked it said he can get just the outside condensor and one that matches (although he now claims he did not look in the inside so how does he know?) I called Ice Man they are going to come by tonight to see what is going on.

Excellent! PM me and I will give you my name and maybe he will give you an excellent deal!

bballfanatic

Good Luck, If you go to the ARI website there are no matches for a Jenn Air coil to your outdoor section, Someone was not very honest. Unfortunatly the HVAC mechanics are not as well educated as they should be, The unit must be pumped down, they must put a Filter drier in and they must match the coil up with the outdoor unit,Otherwise you will be in the same situation as before,Since you are already mix matched I would replace your outdoor and indoor... There is a Energy Star tax rebate of $500.00 as well as special financing with the spring specials...

sinwagon

Well Ice man, along with a few others came out. Everyone but Iceman was telling us we could replace just the outside heat pump with a 13 seer although the inside was a 10

Thankfully Iceman broke it down for us where we could understand. Everyone kept telling us we would get a 1 year warranty on the outside unit and I was wondering why online everything was 5 years. Iceman told us that we can run it that way however, as soon as we try to register the unit for the warranty and they see the serial numbers and see that we are running a 13 seer with a 10 seer that will void the warranty. Something the other guys did not tell us and something that makes a HUGE difference to us.

He also stated that, we could be looking at the same problem a few years down the line if the systems do not match each other so its better to replace both units and quite frankly he would not do it otherwise (which I understand) because he would not want us yelling at him when it broke again lol.

He was very thorough. He tried everything in his power to see if he could get it to work and atleast hold us over through the summer so we could try to save up some money to pay for a new unit. He said alot of times they won't tell you that its just "locked up" and they say it needs to be replaced but they were right, he needs to be replaced. He said there would be no point in replacing just the part that was broken (can't remember the name of it now) because something else would go probably a month later costing another $400.00

So he worked up a price of about $3000 (give or take) and we have told him to go ahead with it. My mom has offered to help us with it so that will relieve some of the pain. I am not one to ask my parents for help at all but she volunteered and considering my grandmother left her an inheritance to pass on to me when she goes she said "you can either have it now, while I'm alive and I can visit you and be cool or you can wait until I am dead and cool" lol so I accepted.

Remember a month or so ago I posted my electric bill was $700? Well this is why! He said the outside unit was not working and my heat was running on emergency heat drawing heat strictly from the inside of the house and that is why the bill was so high. So, with the money we save on electric I can pay my mom back and then save money all together.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Oh my only concern is that in 2010 they are going to be using a different type of freon and if we got a heat pump compatiable with that type of freon, it would cost us an additional $1000. He recommends we just go with this because he says your unit should NEVER leak freon and he believes that the freon will still be available its just going to be recycled or something like that. So I hope I am making the right decision but we can't afford another $1000.

bballfanatic

I will start recommending Ice Man, He told you correctly you cant match a 10 seer coil with a 13 seer outdoor, the coils on high effecincy units are oversized 1 to 2 sizes bigger. It soulnds like he is a well skilled technician...Good luck

sinwagon

Ice man said he will replace the inside and outside unit for $3000?

That price seems too good to be true.

That's what he said. $3,016.82 to be exact I have a written quote and have already paid. He is using the existing lines that are there if that makes a difference.

M

Mousebaby

What is the make of the unit he is putting in?

He put ours in last summer and we were about that much too. He replaced our unit with a Ducane which is made by Lennox. The ac unit I replaced was a 30+ yr. old Lennox. I have absolutely NO COMPLAINTS!! At the time he was doing all of Bear Creeks ac/heating work and a bunch of other places. He came highly recommended! He is very honest and very hard working and will not leave until your unit is completely installed and running properly. Iceman will ALWAYS get my ac and heating work from here on out! :yay:

ewashkow

Oh my only concern is that in 2010 they are going to be using a different type of freon and if we got a heat pump compatiable with that type of freon, it would cost us an additional $1000. He recommends we just go with this because he says your unit should NEVER leak freon and he believes that the freon will still be available its just going to be recycled or something like that. So I hope I am making the right decision but we can't afford another $1000.

R22, which is the freon being used in your soon to be new unit, will not become unavailable. It may become slightly more expensive but it will still be around.

410A is the new freon they are coming out with. It is more environmentally friendly which is why it is being brought in. I guess enough environmentalists complained even though individually, chlorine from pools and cow farts do more to hurt the environment than freon. Also, 410A is used at higher pressure so it needs to be serviced more often costing you more money in the long run.

In actuality, freon is only hazardous to the environment if it is leaking but like your HVAC guy said, the unit should not leak. If you have a leak, then something is broken.

Last edited:

LOL

R22, which is the freon being used in your soon to be new unit, will not become unavailable. It may become slightly more expensive but it will still be around.

410A is the new freon they are coming out with. It is more environmentally friendly which is why it is being brought in. I guess enough environmentalists complained even though individually, chlorine from pools and cow farts do more to hurt the environment than freon. Also, 410A is used at higher pressure so it needs to be serviced more often costing you more money in the long run.

In actuality, freon is only hazardous to the environment if it is leaking but like your HVAC guy said, the unit should not leak. If you have a leak, then something is broken.

R22 has HCFC (hydrochlorofluorocarbon) bad for the ozone, but not as bad as CFC's in the older formulas, R-410A is HFC, better than all previous formulas.

FYI, Freon is a brand name, other companies make it too, it is all called refrigerant.

Myths - R-410A - Honeywell AZ-20 Refrigerant the R-410 A is used at higher pressures but that really is not a huge issue as you made it. See myths at honeywell.

Ice Man is the best around, he does great work at a very fair price!

R-22 wont become unavailable, but new units will not use it after 2010. You can get units now that use R-410a, recommended.

sinwagon

What is the make of the unit he is putting in?

The unit he is putting in is a Rheem. From what I hear, this is a good unit. My husband works for a contractor and he says that he asked the a/c sub they use (he only does commercial) and he says it is a good unit.

wow! you guys are so smart and informative :yay: By hearing you say the same things that Iceman told us, it makes me very confident with my choice in Iceman!

ewashkow

R22 has HCFC (hydrochlorofluorocarbon) bad for the ozone, but not as bad as CFC's in the older formulas, R-410A is HFC, better than all previous formulas.

FYI, Freon is a brand name, other companies make it too, it is all called refrigerant.

Myths - R-410A - Honeywell AZ-20 Refrigerant the R-410 A is used at higher pressures but that really is not a huge issue as you made it. See myths at honeywell.

Ice Man is the best around, he does great work at a very fair price!

R-22 wont become unavailable, but new units will not use it after 2010. You can get units now that use R-410a, recommended.

I was going off of memory from when I had my new unit put in about 3-4 months ago. You know how the human memory can be. Adjusts it to be how you want to remember it. Sorry about any confusion.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
That's what he said. $3,016.82 to be exact I have a written quote and have already paid. He is using the existing lines that are there if that makes a difference.
BC of this thread, I had Iceman come by tonight. He's replacing both my units with a 16 seer Rheem. A lil over $5K (I wanted the best). He gave me 3 quotes, 10 seer, 13 seer & the 16. The lowest was around $3K.

With the 16 seer, I get a 10 yr warranty & a $500.00 gift card from American Express. :yay:

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I hope you have a Home warranty with american home shield. That is a chunk saver. I'd highly recommend it. american home shield.com

Ever used them? I too am looking into a home warranty but this company gets panned on the internet. Nothing but people #####ing about how much the company sucks.