Aldis??

PeoplesElbow

^^This. If we could just get one full-size grocery store, same for the other stores, instead of all these half-sized stores, I wouldn't have to go to 4 different places for my groceries. I'd rather have a full-sized home goods store than a 1/2 target + a 1/2 BB&B + a 1/2 Big Lots + a shiatty excuse for a Marshalls, etc.

Every Aldi I have been in has been a fairly small store, that is sort of the point, usually only two people run the entire place to keep costs down. You need a quarter to unlock a cart, you get the quarter back when you return the cart etc. I would say they are about half the size of the Giant in First Colony.

acommondisaster

I like the Aldi's in F'berg; it's fairly new. Small, clean, but not someplace to shop for everything. I think it's great for buying snacks and a lil something different that you don't see anywhere else. Bought some really great pesto for $2.49 a jar - can't touch it in Safeway for twice the price.

SamSpade

I've only been to the Aldi's in Waldorf, but I'm looking forward to the opening of this store. Like all stores that have inexpensive items - Dollar General, Ollie's, Dollar Tree - they have some good and some not so good. The one in Waldorf, I took a quick inventory of things I was likely to buy should one open near me, and it was a reasonably long list.

I'm not going to get everything I want at one store. I am used to that idea - even as big as WalMart is, they don't beat everyone's prices.

dilligaf.

This is just an educated guess, but I bet they will open after they finish building the building, stock the store with merchandise and train employees.

sparkyaclown

That one actually isn't true, they were started independently by brothers or something like that.

Partially correct, it was started independently by Joe Coulombe but sold to Theo Albrecht who is one of the brothers that owns Aldi in 1979. It is now held in a family trust established by Theo Albrecht.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Correct, it was started independently by Joe Coulombe but sold to Theo Albrecht who is one of the brothers that owns Aldi in 1979. It is now held in a family trust established by Theo Albrecht.

just because two chains share an owner does not mean they are equal. The reason to maintain two lines would be to address two markets. If Trader Joe's is looking at a more "upscale" market, you would want a store to appeal more to the "discount" end. It's why we have Lexus and Toyota.

sparkyaclown

Look, this really seems to be turning into more than intended. I found the original post I commented on humorous in that you'd make a special trip to Trader Joe's but your not going to even consider Aldi even though it's going to be local. In regards to your comment though, there is a lot of suspicion that Aldi is just Trader Joe's without the marketing budget. Many have noted that many items appear to be identical between the two except for the branding. In all reality, the reason for the two lines most likely has less to do with two markets and more to do with the way Aldi is split. Aldi was split into two independent divisions by the brothers. Each brother ran their own division. Theo ran Aldi Nord and Karl ran Aldi Sud with each division supporting a different geographical area in Germany. For the U.S.markets Aldi Nord runs Trader Joe's and Aldi Sud runs the Aldi stores. It's not a far stretch to assume Trader Joe's is just a rebranded Aldi Nord for the U.S. that kept the original marketing from the purchase made in 1979. Aldi Sud had already been operating in the U.S. by that time for 3 years under the name Aldi. The U.S is the only country outside of Germany where both Nord and Sud have a presence. Unlike Germany however they didn't split the U.S into geographical zones for each division to operate within. Even though they are independent they do appear as one entity in regards to some branding and contractors they work with.

PeoplesElbow

just because two chains share an owner does not mean they are equal. The reason to maintain two lines would be to address two markets. If Trader Joe's is looking at a more "upscale" market, you would want a store to appeal more to the "discount" end. It's why we have Lexus and Toyota.

That would be a good comparison if Lexus sold a car that cost $10k alongside Toyota. Two Buck Chuck isn't what I would call upscale.

Popster

I'm also awaiting opening date news. That was the purpose of this post lol.

In the meantime, I notice that Whole Foods is getting a whole lot of coverage.......

Hessian

Brandywine visit today
a) Milk 1/2 Gal 1.79
b) bagels (6) 1.89
c) Cinnamon Cereal 1.89
d) Indulgent Trail mix: 22 oz 4.89
e) Ground Beef 93%...4.99/lb

Yeah,...I want that St Mary's store open!

BigBlue

Brandywine visit today
a) Milk 1/2 Gal 1.79
b) bagels (6) 1.89
c) Cinnamon Cereal 1.89
d) Indulgent Trail mix: 22 oz 4.89
e) Ground Beef 93%...4.99/lb

Yeah,...I want that St Mary's store open!

A good smart shopper can beat that at any Safeway ,Giant,or Shoppers Food and on a good week even Food Lion .

PeoplesElbow

A good smart shopper can beat that at any Safeway ,Giant,or Shoppers Food and on a good week even Food Lion .

If those items are on sale.

Aldis is by far the cheapest place to buy Milk. Where I use to live Food Lion, Walmart, K-Mart, Bi-Lo, Giant Eagle, and Shop-n- Save could not compare.

Every year I buy several cases of food for the local shelter and I do it at Aldi for a reason.

BigBlue

If those items are on sale.

Aldis is by far the cheapest place to buy Milk. Where I use to live Food Lion, Walmart, K-Mart, Bi-Lo, Giant Eagle, and Shop-n- Save could not compare.

Every year I buy several cases of food for the local shelter and I do it at Aldi for a reason.

1) Thank you for your time to the shelter

2) if you look at the list most of those items are generic and are always lower priced

3) I am also saving around 20 to 40 cents a gallon on gas so even my cost of going to the store itself is cheaper then just going to Aldi .

OldHillcrestGuy

The foreign owners of Giant who also own several other grocery stores (can't remember which ones other then Giant) and the foreign owners of Aldi, which also owns Food Lion and several other grocery stores are talking merger of both companies. Saw this in the business section of the paper earlier this week.

The wife and I are Aldi shoppers, can get a gallon of milk for at least a $1 less then Walmart. There are several items we buy only Aldi, especially the ground turkey. I also like the prices on the chips. Wife likes the fresh veggies.