Local Business Ale House (Lexington Park)

BernieP

Resident PIA
And this is what I see is the bigger problem in this area.... too many people willing to "accept" sub-par service. Why is it "expecting too much" from this pizza place to be able to make me a decent deep dish pizza... which is a staple of their menu??!!

I am of the mindset that when I am paying good money for something that is promised... I expect to get it! No more, no less.

sheep

Clem72

And this is what I see is the bigger problem in this area.... too many people willing to "accept" sub-par service. Why is it "expecting too much" from this pizza place to be able to make me a decent deep dish pizza... which is a staple of their menu??!!

I am of the mindset that when I am paying good money for something that is promised... I expect to get it! No more, no less.

But you're not paying good money. You're paying $8 for a large deep dish pizza, if you expect it to be on par quality wise with a Pizzaria that charges 2-3x as much, then your expectations are the problem.

Do you expect a Kia Rio to be as good as a Honda Accord, or McDonald's burger to be as good as one from Red Robin? Objectively they are not, however the price reflects this and for some they are good enough.

Restitution

But you're not paying good money. You're paying $8 for a large deep dish pizza, if you expect it to be on par quality wise with a Pizzaria that charges 2-3x as much, then your expectations are the problem.

Do you expect a Kia Rio to be as good as a Honda Accord, or McDonald's burger to be as good as one from Red Robin? Objectively they are not, however the price reflects this and for some they are good enough.

I do not expect superior quality at a discount price...no. BUT, that is not what I was saying.

What I DO expect is that an establishment that offers products A, B, and C will be able to deliver those products. Not just A. Too many people, like you, make excuses for these places instead of demanding that they deliver on what they are supposed to provide. THIS is why these places fail and THIS is why the service and, quite often, the product (food in this case) is so terrible.

Clem72

I do not expect superior quality at a discount price...no. BUT, that is not what I was saying.

What I DO expect is that an establishment that offers products A, B, and C will be able to deliver those products. Not just A. Too many people, like you, make excuses for these places instead of demanding that they deliver on what they are supposed to provide. THIS is why these places fail and THIS is why the service and, quite often, the product (food in this case) is so terrible.

I have heard, on this very forum, something to the effect of "why would you order chicken at a steak restaurant". The sentament applies, if a company offers three products but only one is known to be of any value and everyone knows the others are not, then don't order them. And I am not making excuses for LC when I say YOU are an idiot if you go there for anything other than the hot and ready products. Your opinion may be different, that going there under any circumstance is idiotic, but I have a different opinion.

Caveot Emptor is just as true today.

glhs837

Power with Control
People, people, people........ stop, let the cheapy pizza joint go, and lets focus here. BEER!. This place will sell beer. Hopefully great beer. Along with great food. Since the pizza joint in question offers neither, lets forget about the little roman guy :)

BernieP

Resident PIA
People, people, people........ stop, let the cheapy pizza joint go, and lets focus here. BEER!. This place will sell beer. Hopefully great beer. Along with great food. Since the pizza joint in question offers neither, lets forget about the little roman guy :)

The Tap House has a rotating line of good beers (on tap). Food is not to shabby for bar food.

PeoplesElbow

Definitely agree with that. Another rare exception is the Wendy's in LP. Owned and run by the same gal (I'm fairly certain) for a long, long time, the employees there have always impressed me as being routinely polite and efficient.

The area McDonalds', by comparison, are a bad joke. I worked in a McDonalds in Indiana for about 9 months back when I was a starving college student (about 40 years ago). That place was a well-oiled machine! Superb managers that really knew their jobs. We really earned that 3 bucks an hour or whatever it was. With that background, I just cringe when I see what goes on behind the counters around here. Maybe it's just how it is any more...a sign of the times.

No, a simple trip an hour or so west and the service is so much better. Last week I got great service in a North Carolina Hardees that put the service at the casual dining restaurants in MD to shame.

Last edited:

tipsymcgee

No, a simple trip an hour or so west and the service is so much better. Last week I got great service in a North Carolina Hardees that put the service at the casual dining restaurants in MD to shame.

The people that work in restaurants here in DMV probably wouldn't be hired in the midwest or further south, or other areas where the employment opportunities are much less. Being here in MD with close proximity to the gravy train that is the Fed Govt. and being a fast growing population gives opportunity for MA to get better jobs than they would elsewhere. The girl or guy who is a receptionist for a contractor or dental assistant or vet tech or maintenance person or landscaper might have to do something far more inferior if they lived in Bloomington, IN or Jackson, MS, just for example. And the other part is it's easy to say service is good when you don't live somewhere full-time. If they had to put up with your crap all the time they wouldn't be so friendly, LOL.

3CATSAILOR

I hope they cleaned the walk in.
The roaches should have died off by now. I remember one walking across my table. This was years ago when it was a different restaurant. It's worth giving them a chance. But, I'll bring a can of spray. By the way, I asked our Health Officer one day why she doesn't advertise in the newspaper the restaurants that had various health issues like some other areas do. Her response was that if she did, there would be something to say about every one of them. However, I don't think it would be consistently that bad. At least I hope not.

Restitution

I have heard, on this very forum, something to the effect of "why would you order chicken at a steak restaurant". The sentament applies, if a company offers three products but only one is known to be of any value and everyone knows the others are not, then don't order them. And I am not making excuses for LC when I say YOU are an idiot if you go there for anything other than the hot and ready products. Your opinion may be different, that going there under any circumstance is idiotic, but I have a different opinion.

Caveot Emptor is just as true today.

Typical SOMD response to getting sh!tty service or products from someone or somewhere. "Oh well... don't blame the company for not making a quality product... blame the customer for expecting that quality!"

You sir, are the reason why there are so many failed businesses around here. I am also guessing that you have never been involved in nor had a successful customer service oriented business... amiright?

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I was going to agree with the location being a negative and then I remembered Lone Star use to pack them in - at least for a while. I think the only reason Lone Star failed was because the entire chain went out of business - at least in Maryland. The other failures were local and basically a combination of bad business and a poor product.

We were "regulars" there for quite a while. Then something happened (rather suddenly, it seemed) to the quality of the food they put out..it really nosedived. We gave them a couple more tries and then never went back. That was well before they shut the doors..

It went downhill before it failed and that's because their militant but highly effective manager left.

glhs837

Power with Control
A militant manager can only use that technique for so long before they are tuned out and/or staff leaves.

Are you confusing martinet with militant? Properly applied, militant leadership (with concomitant building of the team including making sure the team understands why, and rewarding those who work towards the teams goals) can be highly effective. Of course, improperly done, you have a martinet who insists on the discipline without actually teaching why it's so important and demonstrating the results that such discipline can achieve.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It went downhill before it failed and that's because their militant but highly effective manager left.

We knew there was a change in management because the waitress that was profusely apologizing for the disaster that was our last visit there ever basically blamed it all on that. Too bad.

But now we have Longhorn and Texas Roadhouse..both of which have been OK so far.