ALMOST TWO MILLION DOLLARS OF TAXPAYER MONEY GONE JUST LIKE THAT!

3CATSAILOR

Our Public Schools continue to rake in the money. Where did the money go that was saved from NOT busing kids when they were pretending to be educated from home? Where the school bus drivers paid for not driving their school buses? No gas money since the buses were not used. Did any County Commissioner go to the school in question to confirm or deny the need for the expense? Or, do they simply "trust" the tax and spend Board of Education? Too may unanswered questions.

A number of school-related items will be funded following approval on Jan. 10 by the St. Mary's County commissioners.
During their meeting, the commissioners approved a $1.72 million budget increase in fiscal 2023 that uses a fund balance for St. Mary's County Public Schools. As part of the approval, $1 million will be moved from operating funds to the capital improvement program funds.
The money will be used to replace a press box at Great Mills High School at a cost of $250,000, provide $220,000 for playground equipment and a fund a new gym floor and bleachers at Chopticon High School for $575,000

Paul Wu

Did any County Commissioner go to the school in question to confirm or deny the need for the expense? Or, do they simply "trust" the tax and spend Board of Education?
Well, did you ask the County Commissioners or attend a meeting or did you just hop on here to complain about it?

zar

Theist
your property taxes definitely go to the school, they than spend them on gadgets like tablets for all the kids and who knows what they use them for, probably certain websites for adults at home

when I was in school we got a stack of 20 y.o. textbooks and if you didn't bring your own supplies like pencils, sorry you were SOL

220k for playground, after the LUGM that is probably a 100k of engineering and civil fees. I had a surveyor tell me the county was requiring them to do perc tests for playgrounds. Like a perc test for a septic tank in a place that will never need one. It's clear they are out of control, we as citizens must stand up against their micromanagement as stuff like this slowly erodes property rights.

Money would be better spend hiring some decent math tutors and having every kid possible proficient in mathematics/calc before they graduate, even the slower ones so they can pursue a useful degree (STEM) . Sorry cutting hair and changing tires or whatever they offer as career pathways aint gonna cut it in 2023

3CATSAILOR

your property taxes definitely go to the school, they than spend them on gadgets like tablets for all the kids and who knows what they use them for, probably certain websites for adults at home

when I was in school we got a stack of 20 y.o. textbooks and if you didn't bring your own supplies like pencils, sorry you were SOL

220k for playground, after the LUGM that is probably a 100k of engineering and civil fees. I had a surveyor tell me the county was requiring them to do perc tests for playgrounds. Like a perc test for a septic tank in a place that will never need one. It's clear they are out of control, we as citizens must stand up against their micromanagement as stuff like this slowly erodes property rights.

Money would be better spend hiring some decent math tutors and having every kid possible proficient in mathematics/calc before they graduate, even the slower ones so they can pursue a useful degree (STEM) . Sorry cutting hair and changing tires or whatever they offer as career pathways aint gonna cut it in 2023
Maybe they can graduate from one of those left wing universities to explore how methane from cow dung is hard on the environment.