American Bulldog

tygrace

So my husband really wants to get an American BD. We have 2 small kids, 5 and 2, plus a cat (1 yr old). I haven't read up on them yet, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion is. I searched the forum and only found the thread about chewing up boxes.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I have one that is up for adoption right now but needs a experienced home with bullies...but what I can tell you...

He has been amazing with the neighborhood kids. He went to a cookout this weekend and had kids climbing all over him. He didn't try to steal the food outo f the kids hand. he wouldn't take it until they shoved it in his mouth. He had jowl grabbed a hold off by a toddler and he just stood there going HELP..save me.

tygrace

If we get a dog, I'm sure it'll be a puppy, so my kids can grow with it.
That's great to know that about the temperament. I just googled, and read that they're pretty good with children.

L

luckystar

I have one that is up for adoption right now but needs a experienced home with bullies...but what I can tell you...

He has been amazing with the neighborhood kids. He went to a cookout this weekend and had kids climbing all over him. He didn't try to steal the food outo f the kids hand. he wouldn't take it until they shoved it in his mouth. He had jowl grabbed a hold off by a toddler and he just stood there going HELP..save me.

Aw! :lol:

4mygirls

My daughter really wants an American Bulldog, and everything we have read about them is positive, they are very good with kids and a great family dog. They tend to be very loyal but also very protective of the family. What I liked about them is that they are excellent with children, although they do need a strong "pack leader" (a man in the house), they need direction like any other dog.

4thegirls

Love American Bulldogs

I have a two year old American Bulldog and she is the best! They are wonderful with children. When you read up on them they will say that. The breeder I bought my dog from breeds for the temperment so she is perfect in that way.

This dog will need obiedence training and they need to be WALKED!!! I have had issues with mine and other animals, she does not like the outside cats that are strays that I feed. She is very protective of our yard, so they need to be socialized just as any dog would need to be. If I did not have other dogs I would get another American Bulldog in a heartbeat!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
So my husband really wants to get an American BD. We have 2 small kids, 5 and 2, plus a cat (1 yr old). I haven't read up on them yet, and I was wondering what everyone's opinion is. I searched the forum and only found the thread about chewing up boxes.

Socialization is a must, taking them out with you when ever possible.They are very sweet and good with children, bullies were known as the nanny dog years ago. They do need an alpha leader to know who the boss is. As with any breed, they are not cookie cutter dogs.

sexy_pants

I have a friend who had 7 puppies. They are probably about 9 weeks old. If you want more info, PM me and i'll give it to you.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
they do need a strong "pack leader" (a man in the house), they need direction like any other dog.

Wow, I can't believe you actually said that.....

Just because it's a man doesn't mean he's the better pack leader and besides, if the dog doesn't respect and look up to everyone in the house, then that's a recipe for disaster.

Loper

Animal Poor!
My daughter really wants an American Bulldog, and everything we have read about them is positive, they are very good with kids and a great family dog. They tend to be very loyal but also very protective of the family. What I liked about them is that they are excellent with children, although they do need a strong "pack leader" (a man in the house), they need direction like any other dog.

Wow, I can't believe you actually said that.....

Just because it's a man doesn't mean he's the better pack leader and besides, if the dog doesn't respect and look up to everyone in the house, then that's a recipe for disaster.

:killingme:killingme
damn it KK, you didn't know that a woman could be a pack leader! :whistle: and that many wolf packs regard the female more alpha than the male...

Come on, you ARE THE MAN in your house!!! :buddies:
:killingme:killingme:killingme

Dukesdad

I have two; they are white and brindle. They are 11 years old and they are and have been great dogs. I adopted one for my parents and he is also a great companion.
I will tell you there are great differences within the breed depending on bloodlines. The two predominant lines are Johnson and Standard or Scott. The Johnsons tend to have wider, more stocky builds. Mine are scott and have some Painter blood in them. They are great with people but have a very high prey drive and ARE VERY ANIMAL AGGRESIVE due to a larger pit component. Mine were from a local breeder that used them for hog hunting in Florida.
Like alot of breeders, folks have breed larger less conforming dogs over the years and they have developed health issues.
I have a very good book on them here (Leonardtown) if you would like to read it and meet my dogs.

tygrace

I have two; they are white and brindle. They are 11 years old and they are and have been great dogs. I adopted one for my parents and he is also a great companion.
I will tell you there are great differences within the breed depending on bloodlines. The two predominant lines are Johnson and Standard or Scott. The Johnsons tend to have wider, more stocky builds. Mine are scott and have some Painter blood in them. They are great with people but have a very high prey drive and ARE VERY ANIMAL AGGRESIVE due to a larger pit component. Mine were from a local breeder that used them for hog hunting in Florida.
Like alot of breeders, folks have breed larger less conforming dogs over the years and they have developed health issues.
I have a very good book on them here (Leonardtown) if you would like to read it and meet my dogs.

Thanks everyone for your answers, but after researching the dog, and the care you have to give the dog (if you want a good/happy dog), my husband has decided against getting a dog at this time. I'm quite relieved, knowing that I would be the primary caretaker.