**American Idol**

Toxick

Splat
I voted for Fantasia

I like her. I'm glad she won.

:dance: :clap: :dance:

I can't believe that you're going to stop watching the show because your favorites didn't win.

'Minds me of the year 2000 when Alec Baldwin and Babara Streisand said that they were moving to Canada if Bush wins (and unfortunately didn't follow through).

I thought that Fantasia was a far superior performer than anyone up there except maybe Latoya. Diana was good, but she has a tendency to get shaky at times. I'm sure she'll work that out as she gets better and less nervous as time goes on - because I'm sure that she's going to get a record deal or two out of this.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I know that is silly, but I could not stand her and I don't think she is an "American Idol" Talent is one thing and I'll admit she had it , but I just didn't like her....All the "Bo Bo" stuff.....The making herself cry...The unwed single mother thing.....She has no class at all....Latoya had class and she had the necessary talent.....It just pizzed me off that the judges were so partial to Fantasia too....They had her as the winner 3 to 4 weeks ago and made no bones about it....I know that it is dumb that I am not watching it any more, but like I said, when something effects you that much, it's time to quit.....Watch me next year when it comes on and I'll be the first one in front of the TV....

Satine

The problem with people who like Fantasia is that they think that she is really good. They compare her to Macy Gray. If I was Fantasia and you compared me to Macy Gray you better duck. Macy Gray sucks. She is a has been now and if (fingers crossed) Fantasia ends up like Macy, she won’t be around long.

I am tired of people saying that “Who cares that she has a child out of wed lock it’s a talent competition, blah, blah ,blah…” Wrong. If it was then they wouldn’t show us their profile every week. Duh! Also, when they say that “70s Rockers are crazy druggies yaddah…” Yeah I would like to see them on this show. They would have been voted out before William Hung. Both of those arguments are out the window when you put logic in the mix. Guh. Madonna would never have been “Like a Virgin” and Brittany Spears wouldn’t have ever been, well, like a virgin either.

I know that they will all have something to do in the business but the ones that are more likely to stay around are Matt Rogers, not singing – possibly comedy shows, JPL will be right along with him. La Toya, the new Aretha. Diana, Broadway. Fantasia, PSA ads for underage motherhood. Jennifer, I don’t know and really don’t care. George, again on a kids show with puppets “Huffy’s Happy Hour”. Camille and Jasmine, surf lessons.

I am still in the air about next season. This is my first year watching so we will see. If they change the voting then there is a possibility but as of this moment, there is a 35% chance I will.

Satine, out.

Satine

Originally posted by Toxick
Why is this even a thing?

For one thing it shows how irresponsible she is, and disobedient she is and can’t respect her parents. I don’t know if she was raised by a single mother or both parents but that shouldn’t matter. She is an US citizen and knows the problems we have with teen mothers. If she had half a brain then she would think that “Hey, I don’t think I should slut around because I might get pregnant, and lord knows I can’t afford a child at 17 years old. Yeah that makes sense. I am sure that my parent’s would be disappointed in me if I did have a child before I was an age that ended in teen!” I know that this is the respectful, white, conservative, unwed, 24 year old, non-mother talking but it’s common sense to just keep your legs together at least until you have a job and heaven forbid a degree.

It is a problem. It’s like the age factor they keep complaining about with Diana; if you want then not to me 16 (vs. the 17 that Jasmine was “so much more mature”) then make the age limit to be 18. Then start there and have it to 25. Fix the phone lines and don’t let any state smaller than Virginia in the mix.

The other problem is that they throw that in the face of America. Here's Fantasia's kid! Whoopie doo dah day! That kid is probably going to follow in mommas footsteps and never really know her father who probably have five more just like her.

The winner is picked by then total package. If Elvis were in this competition he wouldn’t have won either. Along with the Rolling Stones, Carpenters, ABBA, Queen, KISS, The Beetles, and the BeeGees. The list goes on. But this is the countries chance to pick who the radio stations play over and over. So I will not be listening to the station that plays Fantasia but I will click onto the favorites list the station that plays La Toya.

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by Satine
:blahblah:

It sounds to me like you have some serious anger management issues.

Honestly, I don't think that this competition should be judged on moral fiber or lack thereof. I am aware of the teen pregnancy problem in the country, and I respect what you're saying, but I'm not - and I daresay that most people are not - looking for a role model. We are looking for an entertainer. I want to tap my foot. I want to sing while I'm stuck in traffic. I want to swing my fingers around making like I'm a conductor. And truthfully, when this conversation is over, I doubt Fantasia's child and/or sex life will ever enter my mind again.

If we stop listening to musicians and singers based on their lack of character, then we're going to be listening to some pretty dull fcking music.

As for 'throwing her kid in everyone's face' - :bs:

Not once did I see Fantasia get on TV and say something like, "This is my bastard child. I fully endorse all teen girls to get knocked up. Please feel free to bang like squirrells now."

Besides, they ALL had their families on TV. Every single one of the top 12 contestants had their families on the show. Unless you think that she should be so ashamed of her child, and so mortified by her moral indescretion that she should keep the kid locked up in the cellar.

Whatever your view is on pre-marital sex and out of wedlock childbirth, the child is her family. And since nobody else was forced to keep their family hidden and out of sight, I don't see why she should either.

I think you're focusing too much on this aspect, and have worked yourself into a foamy lather about it. You're obviously free to choose what singers you like based on the way they live their lives, and I'm not going to say any different, but it makes no sense to me.

Satine

Well you’re wrong about the anger management issues. I am one of the happiest people on this wonderful planet.

They did bring her daughter out on stage after one of her performances one night. At no time did they bring out any one else’s family member.

Of course she’s not ashamed of her child and I don’t think she should be she has the stretch marks and the life time burden of the child but as an American citizen watching a show made for the Idol of my said citizenship I should not have to look at someone who doesn’t represent what we should be showing to other countries.

I know you don’t get it. You are a guy. You’re married. You don’t have to worry about it. Yet. What if you and your wife have a daughter and she is pregnant at 16. That’s the 11th grade buddy. That’s a lot of babysitting your going to do while you not non-wed single mothered-daughter is out working her minimum wage job to scrounge some money together while fretting that her “check” hasn’t come in yet because I am sure the father is another upstanding citizen. I come from St. Mary’s County and I know plenty of girls who had kids in high school and the fathers were dead beats. I know what I am talking about.

I like listening to music more than half this country despite who is singing. I will not listen to bad singers (Fantasia being one of them because she need serious work where others were fine they way they were). I listen to everything from Faith Hill to Eminem to Beethoven to the Beetles but I know good singers when I hear them. Christina Aguilera may be a boitch and slutty but damn that girl has pipes. I totally take out her as a person and just sing with the tune. Brittany Spears can’t sing for anything and she’s “America’s Virgin (who later admitted to have had sex with Justin Timberlake and later women)” I don’t listen to her and I am happy about that. And slowly the country is coming around to that. She took a 6 month break to recoup. Well that didn’t work for Debbie Gibson.

They did show everyone’s family and if there had been a problem like this with another participant then that would be what I am talking about right here.

I don’t care that you don’t get it anymore. I can’t draw you a picture in crayon from all the way up here so I will just let it lay here. If you don’t get it now you never will. The rest of the real fans of the show understand.

My opinion: She is a mediocre singer and her personal life (whether you think it matters or not) is a factor in my decision who wins this competition.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.:rolleyes:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
My opinion: She is a mediocre singer and her personal life (whether you think it matters or not) is a factor in my decision who wins this competition.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.:rolleyes:

:shocking: Simon?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If personal life were a factor in a successful singing career, 99.99999% of all performers would be living in a tent on the side of the road.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
It's called 'American Idol', not "The Betty Elms and Satine Boo - Hoo Complain" Idol. :rolleyes:

Some 65,000 viewers voted. That is called a Democracy. You want a Dictatorship, fly your happy azz elsewhere. :bubble:

Toxick

Splat
I know you don’t get it. You are a guy. You’re married. You don’t have to worry about it.

:rolleyes:

While I may have always been a guy, I haven't always been married, and believe it or not, I'm aware of the world outside of my tight little family unit.

What if you and your wife have a daughter and she is pregnant at 16. That’s the 11th grade buddy.

My wife and I do have a daughter, and don't think for a second that I haven't pondered the possibilities and all the fun stuff that entails. Hopefully, my wife and I will raise our daughter to be smarter and have a little more self-respect and responsibility than that.

For what it's worth, I'm not cheering the choices and tribulations of Fantasia. I'm not waving the banner for single mom's across the nation.

What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous for it to be an issue in this venue.

I come from St. Mary’s County and I know plenty of girls who had kids in high school and the fathers were dead beats. I know what I am talking about.

Guess where I live.

Don't think that I didn't graduate with a single mom or three in my class.

listen to everything from Faith Hill to Eminem

:blahblah:

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Alrighty then.

Being that M&M is a fine upstanding member of the community, and Christina Aguliera is not the sluttiest hosebag in the known universe, I can see now where you are coming from.

Only SOME singers are allowed to lack moral fiber. For others it's a stigma beyond redemption.

Satine

I am not Simon but I, seeing as though I have never seen the show until this year I know why people hate him but I love him for what he does. Tells the truth and doesn’t fluff it up like Paula who’s opinion means nothing because she’s to worried that she will hurt someone’s feelings.

Betty is my best friend. Yeah surprise right? Comment how you will on that factoid.

Yeah no crap it’s a democracy and I am allowed to talk about what I want in a FORUM (aka this venue) because that’s what they are designed for. Hello…

Chasey you’re numbers are way off also.

Done.

I know you are all happy.:dosman:

Toxick

Splat
For the record...

.. by "in this venue", I didn't mean these forums - I meant "talent competition" as in the show currently under discussion.

Sorry for the ambiguity.

I am not Simon but I, seeing as though I have never seen the show until this year I know why people hate him but I love him for what he does. Tells the truth and doesn’t fluff it up like Paula who’s opinion means nothing because she’s to worried that she will hurt someone’s feelings.

Yay! We agree on something.

I think Simon is the man. He lays it all out, no matter what. He's cruel in his honesty.

One of the main reasons I love the show.

Betty is my best friend. Yeah surprise right? Comment how you will on that factoid.

Hey everybody - lookit that! They're best friends.

:rolleyes:

Yeah no crap it’s a democracy and I am allowed to talk about what I want in a FORUM (aka this venue) because that’s what they are designed for. Hello…

Hello, if you speak your mind in a public forum, and people disagree with you, or think you're off-base, or think you're violently insane, then someone's bound to speak up. One of the beauties of public discourse.

I don't remember anyone telling you to shut up.

I'm just in it for the debate. Don't take it so personally.

And before you say you're not taking it personally, lemme just say that it really sounds like you are taking it personally. You're tone is coming off as defensive and working its way toward belligerent.

Just relax. We're all friends here.

B

Betty_Elms

Originally posted by Chasey_Lane
It's called 'American Idol', not "The Betty Elms and Satine Boo - Hoo Complain" Idol.

Who's boo-hooing? Not me....I was just stating my (stupid perhaps) opinion. I thought that's what open forums were for after all....I was just having a momentary rant.

I'm not going to stop watching the show because my favorite didn't win. I'm not going to watch it because I HATE being hooked on reality shows.....and like I said...after a certain point, it wasn't fun any more to watch it so what's the point?
Sorry to cause all the drama...really didn't mean to provoke or offend anyone. Just because I don't like Fantasia, doesn't mean I can't see where other people would. I apologize...