America's love of gas guzzlers

Seems the arguments being made here are that an electric vehicle can't be a suitable primary vehicle because of it's functionality shortcomings, ie can't tow or carry a piece of plywood.

How many of you have more than one vehicle?? Does each vehicle do the same job? Of course not. You get a truck if you have tow/haul tasks, a sports car for the weekends, a van for soccer moms, a bike for commuting and just fun.........

Why does an electric vehicle need to be a single replacement vehicle? Keep your truck for the heavy tasks, get an electric for local errands. Get used to the idea of an electric vehicle and what it CAN do rather than what it CANNOT do. I can't carry 10 sheets of sheetrock on my bike but I still have one. I can't go 0-70 in 4 seconds in my truck, but I have one.

If there were an electric version of a Fiat 124 Spider, it would be in my garage tomorrow. Just because.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How many of you have more than one vehicle?? Does each vehicle do the same job? Of course not. You get a truck if you have tow/haul tasks, a sports car for the weekends, a van for soccer moms, a bike for commuting and just fun.........

Why does an electric vehicle need to be a single replacement vehicle? Keep your truck for the heavy tasks, get an electric for local errands. Get used to the idea of an electric vehicle and what it CAN do rather than what it CANNOT do. I can't carry 10 sheets of sheetrock on my bike but I still have one. I can't go 0-70 in 4 seconds in my truck, but I have one.

If there were an electric version of a Fiat 124 Spider, it would be in my garage tomorrow. Just because.

First worlder. :lol:

This_person

Your argument is that electric will never be a good option, because it's not the best option for every circumstance? I am quite sure I am wasting my breath as I don't believe I have ever seen you change your opinion on this forum. About anything. But if there is a market for a mini-van (which I have never owned), or a truck (which I have never owned for personal use), or a Jeep Wrangler (who the feck believes this is a good vehicle for regular daily commutes through town?), or even luxury ($100k+) commuter vehicles, then there is plenty of room for several classes of electric vehicles.

Did you read the first sentence of mine you quoted? Let me paraphrase - given the right circumstances, which impacts an exceptionally small number of people in the country, there could be a good argument for electric cars.

Does the paraphrase help?

This_person

Seems the arguments being made here are that an electric vehicle can't be a suitable primary vehicle because of it's functionality shortcomings, ie can't tow or carry a piece of plywood.

Personally, my argument is that there seems to be no good reason to go that way. If it is someone's choice, I have no objections, but I don't get it.

I would bet there is a kit-car out there you could modify. :shrug:

PeoplesElbow

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Your argument is that electric will never be a good option, because it's not the best option for every circumstance? I am quite sure I am wasting my breath as I don't believe I have ever seen you change your opinion on this forum. About anything. But if there is a market for a mini-van (which I have never owned), or a truck (which I have never owned for personal use), or a Jeep Wrangler (who the feck believes this is a good vehicle for regular daily commutes through town?), or even luxury ($100k+) commuter vehicles, then there is plenty of room for several classes of electric vehicles.
Rides like a log wagon.

SamSpade

How many of you have more than one vehicle??

The overwhelming number of people I know have no more than one vehicle per spouse. Several - like my in-laws - have just one.
I have a few friends who have more but - last time I visited one of them - both of the "extra" vehicles were parked in the same spot, no tags and leaves have accumulated to suggest they haven't moved in years.

MOST people I know buy and use one car for their needs. This is probably what drives the high sale of pickup trucks in this country.

PeoplesElbow

The overwhelming number of people I know have no more than one vehicle per spouse. Several - like my in-laws - have just one.
I have a few friends who have more but - last time I visited one of them - both of the "extra" vehicles were parked in the same spot, no tags and leaves have accumulated to suggest they haven't moved in years.

MOST people I know buy and use one car for their needs. This is probably what drives the high sale of pickup trucks in this country.

Definitely SUV's, when I was buying my first car I sort of needed a truck but wanted a car that four people could ride in (4 door trucks were too expensive for me at that time) so I bought a small SUV that could haul more stuff than a car but had four doors and seating for 5.

Now I have a truck and a car. If I had more room I would actually consider something like a Nissan Leaf for my daily driver, and if I could actually fit inside it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Having been in three car accidents, over the course of my lifetime, and the fact that I only have one vehicle and no desire to have a second i'll stick with my full-size truck.

The leaf can stay on the tree.