Another accident...

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
SoMDGirl42 said:
When you graduate from med school, then you can put others injuries into perspective. It pisses me off when people assume a broken leg is routine. You can die from a broken leg. The femur is the longest bone in the body, and the muscle surrounding these bones are some of the strongest. What people don't realize is, when the femur is broken, it causes the muscles to contract and can tear the femural artery causing you to bleed to death.

Helo's are called for "mechanism of injury" , meaning, if it is a high impact collision which has a high potential for internal injuries, a fatality accident, they will fly. Famous quote in the EMS field, "If in doubt, fly me out".

Lets put it into perspective. If it was one of your family members, would you rather fly them out, or take a chance that it's not necessary?

State police helo's do not charge for their services by the way.
Oh, puh-leeeeze.

Knock it off with the drama.

It was a freakin' broken leg. I;d venture to say that a huge porportion of helo transports don't really require the urgency of them, and I stand by my opinion that some people are left, literally, on the side of the road with real injuries while ordinary injuries jump on the helo for their flight into the bright blue yonder.

Yeah, you watch your dad's health decline in front of you because of a routine broke leg, and I'm sure that you'd have a very different opinion.

I am not going to argue with you over this, because as in my siggy line, "I like to be right." Thankfully, I usually am.

SMC Dispatch

rallwine2000 said:
I don't think you work at the ECC in Leonardtown, because it is not allowed for you to be posting. Why don't you fess up to were you really work?

I do work for the ECC but if you dont want to believe me, then dont. but i do work for the ECC.

terbear1225

BadGirl said:
Oh, puh-leeeeze.

It was a freakin' broken leg. I;d venture to say that a huge porportion of helo transports don't really require the urgency of them, and I stand by my opinion that some people are left, literally, on the side of the road with real injuries while ordinary injuries jump on the helo for their flight into the bright blue yonder.

Yeah, you watch your dad's health decline in front of you because of a routine broke leg, and I'm sure that you'd have a very different opinion.

I am not going to argue with you over this, because as in my siggy line, "I like to be right." Thankfully, I usually am.

I think the point was that it may not have been a "routine" broken leg. how do you know if it was "routine" or not?

missperky said:
My dad was flown out of SMH 3 or 4 times and all of them were Medstar. I can imagine the bill, and his fly outs were necessary.

our bill 7 years ago was only about $4k. I think my insurance covered all but $300 of that.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
SMC Dispatch said:
I got to monitor another channel now of a Building with Smoke in it on Great Mills Road. You can hear me on TAC 3.

But I need to know the type of vehicles involved in the 10-50 PI on Budds Creek at Horseshoe...

I got lots of relatives that live in that area.

SoMDGirl42

BadGirl said:
Oh, puh-leeeeze.

Post your name, address and all your living relatives, we'll be sure not to fly any of you out because someone else may REALLY need the services of the helo.

By the way, YOU ARE WRONG :razz:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
terbear1225 said:
I think the point was that it may not have been a "routine" broken leg. how do you know if it was "routine" or not?
Because there was routine communication between the ATC folks and the doctors as we were waiting for the out-of-area helo to get to us. We were hopeful that the local helo would finish up their run and be able to get to my dad before the VA helo could get to him.

Not that it makes a lick of difference.

A broken leg is apparently more deadly than a heart attack, according to some stupid azz people who are posting in this thread.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
SoMDGirl42 said:
Post your name, address and all your living relatives, we'll be sure not to fly any of you out because someone else may REALLY need the services of the helo.

By the way, YOU ARE WRONG :razz:
Eff you.

SMC Dispatch

nachomama said:
But I need to know the type of vehicles involved in the 10-50 PI on Budds Creek at Horseshoe...

I got lots of relatives that live in that area.

I am not monitoring the Sheriff or MSP at all today. So i wont know really until a bit later when i get to look at the Incident results.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SoMDGirl42 said:
When you graduate from med school, then you can put others injuries into perspective. It pisses me off when people assume a broken leg is routine. You can die from a broken leg. The femur is the longest bone in the body, and the muscle surrounding these bones are some of the strongest. What people don't realize is, when the femur is broken, it causes the muscles to contract and can tear the femural artery causing you to bleed to death.

Helo's are called for "mechanism of injury" , meaning, if it is a high impact collision which has a high potential for internal injuries, a fatality accident, they will fly. Famous quote in the EMS field, "If in doubt, fly me out".

Lets put it into perspective. If it was one of your family members, would you rather fly them out, or take a chance that it's not necessary?

State police helo's do not charge for their services by the way.
If i was in an accident and broke my leg and they tried to fly me out, I'd be kicking someone's ass while hopping around on one leg.. it's a TOTAL waste of resources.. and a lot of cases I think the time spent waiting for the helo the patient could already be at a hospital and a Doctor COULD determine if they need to be flown out.

Hell, if I broke my leg at home, I'd more than likely climb in my truck and take myself to the ER if BG wasn't there to take me..

..and NOBODY on the ground determining who is going to be flown out has graduated med school either. The only place I know of where a doctor MAY attend an accident scene is in Europe, I don't know of any Doctors around here awaiting the next call to an MVA..

In PA they tended to fly out dead people, in MD they fly out papercuts.. there has to be a middle ground.

I think it's more a case the medics think it's cool..

And choosing to argue with a person who lost a parent due to improper usage of an emergency asset is just you being a total BIaTCH

Bay_Kat

Tropical
rallwine2000 said:
I don't think you work at the ECC in Leonardtown, because it is not allowed for you to be posting. Why don't you fess up to were you really work?

I made a phone call and was told it is NOT allowed due to safety issues. When you give this info out only creates more of a crowd than there already is and with people listening to scanners and people passing by it just adds more people. They do not want dispatchers or anyone else in communications giving out info during an incident it only adds to the chaos.

hotmomma

mmmmhmmmmm
Maybe they don't want to be sued if someone breaks their leg and is taken by ambulance but also has internal injuries that were not appartent and ends up dying.

SoMDGirl42

itsbob said:
And choosing to argue with a person who lost a parent due to improper usage of an emergency asset is just you being a total BIaTCH
I'm pretty sure MD has more than 1 helo. Sounds like the hospital dropped the ball on this one. If he should have been flown out, no reason why he wasn't. And don't tell me it was because 1 helo in the entire state was on a routine call, the State Police have 7 alone. Get yourselves a lawyer.

SMC Dispatch

Bay_Kat said:
I made a phone call and was told it is NOT allowed due to safety issues. When you give this info out only creates more of a crowd than there already is and with people listening to scanners and people passing by it just adds more people. They do not want dispatchers or anyone else in communications giving out info during an incident it only adds to the chaos.

It is ok. Certain info can be given as long as its not names of the subjects injured, and such other information.

R

rallwine2000

SMC Dispatch said:
I am not monitoring the Sheriff or MSP at all today. So i wont know really until a bit later when i get to look at the Incident results.
It's because you don't have access to this and you just monitor the scanner and don't work at ECC. You should not spread rumors of where your employed, when you don't work there. Could come back and bite you.

SMC Dispatch

SoMDGirl42 said:
I'm pretty sure MD has more than 1 helo. Sounds like the hospital dropped the ball on this one. If he should have been flown out, no reason why he wasn't. And don't tell me it was because 1 helo in the entire state was on a routine call, the State Police have 7 alone. Get yourselves a lawyer.

St. Mary's County has 3 Helicopters:

Trooper 2
Trooper 7
Eagle 1

They basically cover Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's. And if needed on a call by call basis for other counties in Maryland and Virginia.