Another cross the centerline fatal

littlelady

God bless the USA
The law allows a police officer to pull a person over when it is safe to do so. It does not have to be in the area where the incident took place.

Texting is done in both heavy traffic and in rural areas in light traffic. The recent DOA in Ridge is a good example of it in a rural area away from the heavy traffic.

As I mentioned, this is a daily occurrence.

All correct in your comments. I am an old fogey and don't use my cell while driving. I hate cell phones, but that is another topic. And, yes, I see people all the time not being 'hands free'. That is a lot for LEO to keep up with. The good thing is because of tech, phone usage can be traced in the case of an accident.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Texting is done in both heavy traffic and in rural areas in light traffic. The recent DOA in Ridge is a good example of it in a rural area away from the heavy traffic.
easier to just cite the speeders in more rural areas. It's clear what they were doing. Of course in St. Mary's County District Court if you receive a ticket you are assumed guilty so they can write what they like.
I say that after hearing how one person had to wait months for their ticket to be adjudicated because the officer refused to show up in court.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Think of all the money the county could have made tonight on 235. With traffic at a dead gridlock, everyone was probably on their phone letting someone know they were stuck in traffic and/or looking at Google map to see where the tie up was and how long the delay was expected to be.

Restitution

I say that after hearing how one person had to wait months for their ticket to be adjudicated because the officer refused to show up in court.

:bs:

Each patrol officer has an assigned day to handle traffic violations that are contested in court. I believe they appear 1 or 2 times each month to defend their tickets and court dates are assigned to the offender based on this.

Even if the officer does not show for some reason, it can be argued for dismissal.

3CATSAILOR

All correct in your comments. I am an old fogey and don't use my cell while driving. I hate cell phones, but that is another topic. And, yes, I see people all the time not being 'hands free'. That is a lot for LEO to keep up with. The good thing is because of tech, phone usage can be traced in the case of an accident.

Yes. But, they usually don't pursue it.

3CATSAILOR

easier to just cite the speeders in more rural areas. It's clear what they were doing. Of course in St. Mary's County District Court if you receive a ticket you are assumed guilty so they can write what they like.

It sounds like the person either didn't have any attorney or didn't know the law. A continuance as it is called is usually not allowed multiple times. Unless, there are certain extenuating circumstances we are not aware of, this is more than likely the case.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Yes. But, they usually don't pursue it.

I don't agree that they don't use it. This is not auto related, but the text/GPS capability is how they found Lauren Wallen's body; the poor girl that was murdered by her deranged boyfriend. They found her body by her last text to her sister. That happened within the last month. And, texts are available online; at least, I know that from Verizon. But, they do disappear at some point.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't agree that they don't use it. This is not auto related, but the text/GPS capability is how they found Lauren Wallen's body; the poor girl that was murdered by her deranged boyfriend. They found her body by her last text to her sister. That happened within the last month. And, texts are available online; at least, I know that from Verizon. But, they do disappear at some point.

they key word was "usually". For instance, very few cars left on the road that don't have a "black box", but the state only requests and pulls that data in fatal accidents. So no, they normally wont pull the phone records, but for some situations they will. Legally gaining access to records, cell and black box, requires money and the need to spend that money needs to be justified.