Another moving question: Lexington Park

sdm

Hi Friends... it's me again, the couple with a 7 year old daughter moving from San Diego to So MD in December... there is a nice house in Lexington Park right off of Willows Rd... I've heard some unpleasant things about Lexington Park though, and the local school has a paltry rating of 3 on the Great Schools website.... anyone familiar with this particular area and insight into why that school is doing so poorly?

Also, there is another property in the Wildewood Community... I like this one better, but of course it's a little more pricey... any advice or insight about that community? Is it nice? The school closest to there has a much better rating of 8. Should I let the school numbers influence my choice??

PLEASE HELPPPPP!!!!

Stay out of the Lexington Park area.... Great Mills Road, Willows Road, River Bay, Spring Valley, Patuxent Homes, Westbury... etc. Unless you are prepared to home school your child, place your child in the Leonardtown School District of which the Wildewood Community would be in this district. For god's sake, stay the hell out of the park unless you are "street smart". PM me if you want particulars. I won't sugar coat it.

FoFVolunteer

Stay out of the Lexington Park area.... Great Mills Road, Willows Road, River Bay, Spring Valley, Patuxent Homes, Westbury... etc. Unless you are prepared to home school your child, place your child in the Leonardtown School District of which the Wildewood Community would be in this district. For god's sake, stay the hell out of the park unless you are "street smart". PM me if you want particulars. I won't sugar coat it.

Do as this person says and stay the hadies away from patuxent homes area. We've lived here for 5 years and if we could move we would, in a heartbeat!

glhs837

Power with Control
I understand Pax Homes has gone downhill since I lived there in the 90s. But thats a pretty small portion of what comprises lexington Park, and given the budget NS is looking at, I dont think that Pax Homes in on here list of areas under consideration.

sdm, I I agree with your list of places to avoid buying, but I think your characterization that anyone has to homeschool your children if you live in that area is misplaced. What is your experience with the schools in question? Usually, the people hammering them have no experience beyond sitting in some other schools PTSA meeting passing horror stories.

glhs837

Power with Control
Here's a good way to visualize what exactly "the Park" is made up of.....the outlined area is the Lexington Park zip code, that chunk on the left side is Park Hall.

Lexington Park MD Real Estate - 298 Listings - Zillow

I only see one rental on Ricky, no sales, but maybe the person renting is considering selling. Lots of people took advantage of the crazy low rates to upgrade buying a foreclosure, and just want that old second house gone, even if it means they don't make anything. I know about three or four people in my office have bought second houses and are renting their old houses til the market comes back up.

wittykitty

I live on Willows Road and I love my community. I walk a couple miles through my neighborhood everyday and I have never felt that my safety was threatened. I always wear a pepper spray bracelet, but then again, I wear it everywhere when I exercise, including Wildewood when I visit a friend for a jog. Crime is not exclusive to one community, town or city. Great Mills Road is an area of concern, in my opinion, and I would not venture to the street of GMR by myself.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
where is Spring Valley? The house I am looking at is on Ricky's Place of Willow... I just have a weird feeling but they are offering a great deal... something just seems off to me, I don't know. Anyone with insight on Wildewood?

I don't think Spring Valley is off Willows Road.

RetiredCPO

Hi Friends... it's me again, the couple with a 7 year old daughter moving from San Diego to So MD in December... there is a nice house in Lexington Park right off of Willows Rd... I've heard some unpleasant things about Lexington Park though, and the local school has a paltry rating of 3 on the Great Schools website.... anyone familiar with this particular area and insight into why that school is doing so poorly?

Also, there is another property in the Wildewood Community... I like this one better, but of course it's a little more pricey... any advice or insight about that community? Is it nice? The school closest to there has a much better rating of 8. Should I let the school numbers influence my choice??

PLEASE HELPPPPP!!!!

Morning, what part of San Diego are you coming from? I was stationed there for 10 years and could reference the neighborhoods you may be familiar with.. Wildewood is like Poway... Lexington Park is like Mira Mesa.. and the whole county is like living out in Romona... at least as it was back 10 years ago.

sdm

I understand Pax Homes has gone downhill since I lived there in the 90s. But thats a pretty small portion of what comprises lexington Park, and given the budget NS is looking at, I dont think that Pax Homes in on here list of areas under consideration.

sdm, I I agree with your list of places to avoid buying, but I think your characterization that anyone has to homeschool your children if you live in that area is misplaced. What is your experience with the schools in question? Usually, the people hammering them have no experience beyond sitting in some other schools PTSA meeting passing horror stories.

I have experience with Lexington Park Elementary School, Spring Ridge Middle School and Great Mills High School and no I do not belong to a PTA. I have a child that was held back and behind grade level in Calvert County only to move forward and excell beyond the other children when she transferred to Lexington Park Elementary School. That was my first clue there was something wrong with the picture.

At the elementary school level my child had personal property forcefully removed and destroyed from her person by a teacher and received an apology and monetary reimbursement from the Board of Education. She was accosted by other children at the elementary school level and it escalates to more serious offenses at the middle school and high school levels. Student fighting is a normal occurrence. Bullying thrives. Drugs, weapons, beatings, and sexual assaults begin in the middle and high school levels at Spring Ridge and Great Mills.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have experience with Lexington Park Elementary School, Spring Ridge Middle School and Great Mills High School and no I do not belong to a PTA. I have a child that was held back and behind grade level in Calvert County only to move forward and excell beyond the other children when she transferred to Lexington Park Elementary School. That was my first clue there was something wrong with the picture.

At the elementary school level my child had personal property forcefully removed and destroyed from her person by a teacher and received an apology and monetary reimbursement from the Board of Education. She was accosted by other children at the elementary school level and it escalates to more serious offenses at the middle school and high school levels. Student fighting is a normal occurrence. Bullying thrives. Drugs, weapons, beatings, and sexual assaults begin in the middle and high school levels at Spring Ridge and Great Mills.

And you think these things don't happen in other schools? They do, you know. And your child excelling above others isn't a sign there is something wrong with the school, it's simply a sign of the differing socioeconomic levels in those schools, and the value placed on education by some parents in those schools. You child can still receive a great education in any of them. So, did your child manage to escape alive from all three? Sounds like it. Were they damaged by their experience? Very few children escape any schooling without experiencing conflict of some kind.

BernieP

Resident PIA
And you think these things don't happen in other schools? They do, you know. And your child excelling above others isn't a sign there is something wrong with the school, it's simply a sign of the differing socioeconomic levels in those schools, and the value placed on education by some parents in those schools. You child can still receive a great education in any of them. So, did your child manage to escape alive from all three? Sounds like it. Were they damaged by their experience? Very few children escape any schooling without experiencing conflict of some kind.

Better drugs, students are much more mellow in the other schools.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My wife and I bought in Pembrooke, just off Willows Road...very happy thus far, neighbors seem like good folk.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
:howdy: Stranger! :lol: I am glad you are finally settled, and happy! Good, news. Now, about that book....... :tap:

Internet has been lousy, to say the least, where we are staying. I get about 15 seconds access for every 10 minutes of disconnection...

I did find the thumb drives I thought I lost in the move, including the work I've done on "Goldsmith and Gargoyle."

Once we're fully settled, I'll have my office set again and will be able to write better and regularly.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Internet has been lousy, to say the least, where we are staying. I get about 15 seconds access for every 10 minutes of disconnection...

Air card or Metrocast. I am pretty close to that area and Metrocast works great, so does cell. I do know that the Abberly Crest area has crap cell service, and you guys are right next door. We had the same problem in spyglass.

redhead77

Ricky's Place is in Willow Woods subdivision, it is in the front of the subdivision. We've been here since 2004 and had very few problems with the neighborhood. Also, the elementary school is Park Hall not Lexington Park elementary. Good luck with whatever you decide.