Another reason to point and laugh at DC

stgislander

PREMO Member
Not posted so I guess nobody is surprised.

SamSpade

See, I never see the significance of these things. Instead of playing WITHIN DC - they play a few miles away, in Virginia. Reagan Airport flies to DC - umm, no it flies to Northern Virginia not far from the Pentagon. You know, DC - umm, nope, northern VA. The Redskins/Commanders play in DC - uhh no, they play in Landover.

And the Caps played for years at the Capital Center - in Landover - before moving downtown to the Capital One Arena.

As long as they don't move to say RICHMOND or NORFOLK, they're still the Washington Capitals.

SamSpade

One thing I found funny is that Ted is keeping the Mystics in DC. Likely because nobody watches them anyway.

A SEXIST WOULD SAY!!!
That's just reality. I had a friend who, year after year would buy multiple season tickets to all the Washington/Baltimore area teams and sell them off a ticket at a time.

He kept getting stuck with Mystics tickets, so he just stopped buying them.

stgislander

PREMO Member
See, I never see the significance of these things. Instead of playing WITHIN DC - they play a few miles away, in Virginia. Reagan Airport flies to DC - umm, no it flies to Northern Virginia not far from the Pentagon. You know, DC - umm, nope, northern VA. The Redskins/Commanders play in DC - uhh no, they play in Landover.

And the Caps played for years at the Capital Center - in Landover - before moving downtown to the Capital One Arena.

As long as they don't move to say RICHMOND or NORFOLK, they're still the Washington Capitals.
The significance is that DC's soft of crime stance has forced Ted to move his teams out of DC. With all the carjackings and robberies, people do not feel safe taking their families downtown at night

SamSpade

The significance is that DC's soft of crime stance has forced Ted to move his teams out of DC. With all the carjackings and robberies, people do not feel safe taking their families downtown at night
Understand although I've never felt that even outdoor parking - in Landover - even close to approximates "safe", The Capital One Arena was great if you intended to arrive by Metro OR could somehow find parking nearby.

Baltimore has always been a craphole in my long memory, but Memorial was in a decent part of town and now, the two major stadiums are basically OUTSIDE of Baltimore - or on the edge, as it were.

I cannot recall a time in my life when DC was ever considered a safe place to be. In the early 90's it managed to become the murder capital of the nation, prompting such brilliant statements by Mayor Barry If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate.

DaSDGuy

Not sure what's in a name. the Washington Redskins (yes I said it) are not playing in D.C. They play in Landover, MD. The New York Jets and New York Giants don't play in New York. Their stadium is in New Jersey.

gemma_rae

Understand although I've never felt that even outdoor parking - in Landover - even close to approximates "safe", The Capital One Arena was great if you intended to arrive by Metro OR could somehow find parking nearby.

Baltimore has always been a craphole in my long memory, but Memorial was in a decent part of town and now, the two major stadiums are basically OUTSIDE of Baltimore - or on the edge, as it were.

I cannot recall a time in my life when DC was ever considered a safe place to be. In the early 90's it managed to become the murder capital of the nation, prompting such brilliant statements by Mayor Barry If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate.
In the mid to late 60's, myself and the children from 4 other families (3 white families and one black) would trick or treat along Mississippi Ave and its intersecting streets in the Congress Heights area of SE DC. Didn't get bad until the early 70's.

P.S. The black family were the Greenwoods who owned the first minority owned moving company to ever have a government contract with the DC government.