Any U-Control Pilots Around Here?

RCflyer

I fly RC planes but I also like flying U-Control and was wondering if there any U-Control Pilots in the area?

For anyone that reads this thread and dose not know what U-Control is, check out this video.
[video=youtube;4uy4Vq7eSoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uy4Vq7eSoI[/video]

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I fly RC planes but I also like flying U-Control and was wondering if there any U-Control Pilots in the area?

For anyone that reads this thread and dose not know what U-Control is, check out this video.
Does that thing have string attached?

RCflyer

Does that thing have string attached?
All U-Control or "Control Line" planes use 2 separate lines that attach to a handle and to a pair of "Lead Out's" on the wing. The Lead Out's attach to a "Bell Crank" that moves a control rod to operate the Elevator and or Wing Flaps. When you pivot the handle back, it raises the Elevator (and lowers the Wing Flaps if equipped) and causes the plane to pitch up. The opposite happens when you pivot the handle forward. The size of the plane determines the length, control setup and type of lines used. Small planes like the old small COX .049 powered plastic planes that were popular back in the 70's and 80's were simple and used a small bell crank, small plastic handle and about 20-25' of Dacron line and only control the elevator . The bigger planes like the one in the video typically use a larger heavy duty bell crank, braided steel lines up to 70' in length with a larger heavy duty handle that control the elevator and wing flaps. The Wing Flaps cause the plane to respond quicker and perform tighter maneuvers. Typically all fuel powered U-Control models use small fuel tanks and fly until they run out of fuel. The fuel tanks range anywhere from about a 1/2oz. for the small planes to about 5 or 6 oz. for the bigger planes. Some planes are even equipped with a throttle for Scale like takeoffs, doing touch and goes and slowing or shutting down the engine for landings. Electric powered models use an electronic low voltage cutoff timer so the battery doesn't get damaged from over discharging.

Here is a picture of a small U-Control model that I scratch built a couple of years ago that uses an old COX .049 engine with a built in fuel tank. In the picture, you can see the bell crank and control rod. gb3.jpg

Last edited: