Anyone do homebrewing?

glasscharmer

pumpkin ale?

I'm wondering if you would email me or post your recipe for the pumpkin ale? It sounds like it would be a great fall beer, and I just so happen to be growing pumpkins this year....how convenient. :elaine:

Glass Charmer

ylexot

Super Genius
glasscharmer said:
I'm wondering if you would email me or post your recipe for the pumpkin ale? It sounds like it would be a great fall beer, and I just so happen to be growing pumpkins this year....how convenient. :elaine:

Glass Charmer
Sure, on one condition...I need a pumpkin :whistle:

Micahbraü's Punkinchunkin Ale (won second place in the Punkinchunkin cooking contest)

Ingredients:
  • 6 lbs amber dry malt extract
  • 1 lb crystal malt
  • 1.5 oz Fuggles hops
  • 2 lbs pumpkin meat (without skin in ~1" or smaller cubes)
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 oz fresh grated ginger root
  • 1/2 teaspoon Irish moss
  • American ale yeast
  • 5 gallons of water

Procedure:
Bring 2.5 gal of water to boil. Add all malts and continue boil for 10 min. Add hops in a hop bag and boil for 50 min. Add all the spices (including ginger root), Irish moss, and pumpkin. Boil for 10 min. Remove hop bag and cool to ~80 deg F and pour into primary fermenter (with pumpkin). Add 2.5 gal of water and yeast. After about a week (when fermentation slows), transfer to secondary fermenter. After about another week, bottle. Age/ferment in the bottle for ~3-4 weeks.

BTW, I forgot to mention one of my favorite sites...Cats Meow 3 - the best site for recipes. My recipe is a modification/culmination of some of the recipes on here.

It looks like they have a new recipe site as well (user based recipe exchange)...Gambrinus' Mug

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
glasscharmer said:
I don't know that the monks had sterilization way back when...
Sure, if you don't mind botulism. I've had a five gallon batch go bad. After spending a month to a month and a half creating it, I'll take the extra time to clean good so I don't have to throw it away.

fishinfool

Among other things
At a garage sale this weekend, I bought 12 one pint Grolshe (sp)? bottles with the wired on plastic re-sealable tops. The folks I bought them from do home brewing. Are these good bottles or were they getting rid of them for a good reason?

ylexot

Super Genius
fishinfool said:
At a garage sale this weekend, I bought 12 one pint Grolshe (sp)? bottles with the wired on plastic re-sealable tops. The folks I bought them from do home brewing. Are these good bottles or were they getting rid of them for a good reason?
Yeah, they're good bottles (I have 4 cases of cobalt blue ones). You may need to get new gaskets for them, but gaskets are fairly easy to find.

glasscharmer

ylexot said:
Yeah, they're good bottles (I have 4 cases of cobalt blue ones). You may need to get new gaskets for them, but gaskets are fairly easy to find.

a few cases of dark brown ones, and mine have ceramic tops...I replace the gaskets regularly, because they have a tendancy to get the 'funk'... I use mine for my wine.

greggor

glasscharmer said:
Danny's Homebrew
22490 Budds Creek Road
Leonardtown MD 20650
301 997 0022
240 298 2942 (cell)
:cheers:

Hey thanks for the info. I'm moving to the area in August and was going to start a thread inquiring about home brew shops in the area.

I've been brewing for 7 years consistently and love the hobby. Started off doing extract brews like many of the folks here, but have been doing all grain now for about 4 years or so, as well as formulating some pretty good personal recipes.

Cheers!

Greg

EDIT: Does Danny's homebrew shop have a website?

greggor

I noticed that there were quite a few people who mentioned that they wanted to learn how to brew beer. I highly recommend reading this book written by John Palmer.

I noticed someone posted a link to morebeer.com. Be sure to click here for another great home brew forum.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Foxhound

Finishing last
Before I quit drinking I used to home brew. My favorite were marzens. Anyway I don't know if I have any of my old brewing stuff. If I come across any I'll post it. Had a beer sphere (homebrew kegg) but think it went to a friend.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
ylexot said:
My "specialty" is a pumpkin ale...tastes a bit like pumpkin pie :yum:

I also have kegging equipment...much easier than bottles and not very expensive either.

That sounds pretty good, when ya brewing another batch??? :smile: