Anyone know the minimum roof slope in Calvert ?

Mark_Disfree

Anyone know what the minimum allowed roof slope is for Calvert County? Or where I can look to find it?

I would like to know the minimum for a shingle roof.

THanks

willie

As low as 2/12 for shingles but not recommended. The lower you go, the more it looks like a trailer.

bballfanatic

The manufacture of aspault shingles only recommends 4/12 or above any less than that and you must either do a torchdown membrane or EDPM (rubber). Your roof will leak if regular shingles are used on a 2/12...

rescueman

4/12 is low as you would want to go unless you want to get wet. i really don't think there is a minimum slope. i have seen people go as low as a 2/12 but i wouldn't do it. yes even in the CRE.

OrneryPest

lower life form
One section of my roof is less than 4/12 and the roofer (Mason Gott) recommended flat-roof technology, which I then chose. It's the first time in the history of the house that section of the roof has not leaked.

Rain causes shingles to pulsate up and down, thus slurping water up under them. Using regular shingles on a pitch less than 4/12 may allow the water to get slurped up past the top of the next lower layer of shingles.