anyone use Skin So Soft for insect repellant

fredsaid2

Here's another concoction from another BB using SSS:

10 oz. Vinegar
10 oz. Water
4 oz. Avon Skin So Soft
1 oz. Repel-XP

How I mix it:

In a half-gallon milk jug, I double the first three ingredients, and since the weather has been SO hot and humid, I triple the Repel-XP to 3 oz. I keep it stored in the milk jug and pour into a fly spray bottle as needed.

After spending tons of $$ in past years on literally gallons on the expensive fly sprays, I'm realizing quite a financial benefit to this homemade mix, plus it's a lot less chemicals being applied to my horses.

I bought a lot of 8 big (16.9 oz.) bottles of Skin So Soft on eBay, and with shipping, each bottle came out to less than $4.00 each. The Repel-XP is the most expensive ingredient, and a bottle goes a long way with this recipe.

I've had no adverse reactions on either of my horses, and it doesn't smell too bad either.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
PrepH4U said:
I have found that when the normal fly spray doesn't work, I doctor it with a little SSS and some citronella oil. I find that it helps a bit as the oils allow the pesticide to stick to the hair shafts easier and doesn't seem to sweat off as easy. The bugs don't like the smell either. I was told the new duraguard (orange bottle) was the best this year, well not for my flies. :lol: I have found that switching sprays every other time helps also :shrug:

I tried the duraguard and thumbs down, didn't seem to help at all.

W

WildHorses

fredsaid2 said:
Here's another concoction from another BB using SSS:

10 oz. Vinegar
10 oz. Water
4 oz. Avon Skin So Soft
1 oz. Repel-XP

COLOR]

We made this one this a.m. and put it on two of our horses who have the worst problems with the flies. Working great, thanks. :flowers: Now we're off to spray the other 15. :jameo:

fredsaid2

WildHorses said:
We made this one this a.m. and put it on two of our horses who have the worst problems with the flies. Working great, thanks. :flowers: Now we're off to spray the other 15. :jameo:

I'll have to make up a batch and try it myself. I know there's a bottle of sss around the house somewhere. Glad it's working for you!

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
This may be a silly question...but, which vinegar do you use/ apple cider vinegar (dark) or white vinegar? And if you use the RepelX concentrate do you need to dilute that first off or do the ratio call for, using the water/vinegar/sos as your water balance?

Last edited:

BrassieChic

Endure works well! I've had better results with this repellant and have seen less ticks since using it! Didn't like the oily results of the Skin So Soft!

W

WildHorses

persimmoncf said:
This may be a silly question...but, which vinegar do you use/ apple cider vinegar (dark) or white vinegar? And if you use the RepelX concentrate do you need to dilute that first off or do the ratio call for, using the water/vinegar/sos as your water balance?

We used the white vinegar and the water/vinegar/sss is the water balance for the RepelX. :howdy: