Anyone?

D

dems4me

Magnum said:
Poles??? No Trot line?

Boats too fast even with drift anchors. I had this problem last year too. I set up bottom rigs on about 5 or 6 poles (about 10-12 necks on it (bottom rig has two hooks)) and reel it in very, slowly and net them. :smile: It works it takes longer though. But on the plus side, you dont' have heavy gear to put down and pick back up when done, you don't use any gas, you can go out and go for a swim, anchor down, put the radio on and drink a beer and quietly read a book and relax. :smile: Less work involved, but it gets boring after awhile alone. Especially if you get hot - I'm leary about jumping over board and going for a swim without anyone else out there with me on the boat.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
dems4me said:
That's Dan and Steve, they are commercial guys. Met them last week... they have about 4 commercial size trot lines set up right out by the peir where I crab and lots of guys were running over their lines not seeing one end of their lines from the other. Also its hard to tell how they have it set up because its really angled funny, then you have others set up near them its a mess. I ended up just setting up almost outside the mouth of that inlet just to not be in anyone's way, after a few folks left around noon, I moved in, then when they left at 3 I had the place to myself but was already too :hot: and frustrated I didn't want to stay out much longer by myself just sitting there, so then I drove around in circles and cruising up on plane for about an hour, tied the boat off, dunked the crabs and went home.
I went right up in the middle of the guys. From where I was first set I could see boats around me. All you have to do is watch them run the lines to know where they are. I pulled my line and went upriver a good bit to get away from everyone. Pulled in a few. Pulled the line up again and went down past golden beach and set up again, right in the middle of 3 guys. Too crowded for me.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Because of this thread I did my part and called someone to get 6 fat crabs from for my dinner tonight..:cheers:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
dems4me said:
Boats too fast even with drift anchors. I had this problem last year too. I set up bottom rigs on about 5 or 6 poles (about 10-12 necks on it (bottom rig has two hooks)) and reel it in very, slowly and net them. :smile: It works it takes longer though. But on the plus side, you dont' have heavy gear to put down and pick back up when done, you don't use any gas, you can go out and go for a swim, anchor down, put the radio on and drink a beer and quietly read a book and relax. :smile: Less work involved, but it gets boring after awhile alone. Especially if you get hot - I'm leary about jumping over board and going for a swim without anyone else out there with me on the boat.
My setup works great for running the line. Problem is you need 2 people on my boat to do it. I might have a way to do it alone but it's no fun.

D

dems4me

kwillia said:
Hey! That would help you get a good start on losing those last few pounds! :jet:

From what I read on here, I think it'll be coming out the other end. :lol:

D

dems4me

Magnum said:
My setup works great for running the line. Problem is you need 2 people on my boat to do it. I might have a way to do it alone but it's no fun.

What time did you head back... I might have seen you or met you last weekend??

Magnum

Should be Huntin
dems4me said:
What time did you head back... I might have seen you or met you last weekend??
I think I was off the water around 11 or 12. I was in the John boat with a motor that looks way too big and goes way too fast

D

dems4me

Magnum said:
I think I was off the water around 11 or 12. I was in the John boat with a motor that looks way too big and goes way too fast

At benedict marina? I was out there. I was the one in a white boat that wasn't moving and looked like I was fishing. :lol: There were other boats coming up to me throughout the day intermittently.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
dems4me said:
At benedict marina? I was out there. I was the one in a white boat that wasn't moving and looked like I was fishing. :lol: There were other boats coming up to me throughout the day intermittently.
I don't think I saw you, I just get out there run my line and go.

D

dems4me

BTW, how do you find anyone willing to meet you and be on the water at 5:15 with you? :lol:

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
Dems, why do you go all the way to Benedict? You're closer to Cape St. Marys or the Wicomoco.

I don't live in Mechanicsville anymore :lol: I'm up by Hughsville/381 area. Benedict is the closest. :yay:

Look Demsy... I would offer to go except I don't like crabs, don't like fish, don't like boats, and don't like being on the water.

D

dems4me

kwillia said:
Look Demsy... I would offer to go except I don't like crabs, don't like fish, don't like boats, and don't like being on the water.

Awww... come on... take one for the team :yay: :clap:

:lol: