Are Catholic Beliefs and Practices Biblical?

Anabaptist

Hmmm...the Catholic Church did this, the Catholic Church did that. Ignoring, for instance, Radiants points that while wrong, it was just the unfortunate culture of the time.

No, we addressed that. Has there been any recanting of these actions? The Bible tells us to repent of sin.

The Catholic Church has done more good, as an institution, over the last 2000 years that any other.

I'm sure they have done good things, but that's a bold claim.

You people need to stop telling us where you think we're wrong. Let us have our interpretation and explain it to you. You can have your opinion and explain it to us.

If I give my interpretation, you'll say I'm saying your wrong! You want us to agree with you. You want to teach and not be taught. The burden of proof is that you do not want dialogue.

Last edited:

UNA

No, we addressed that. Has their been any recanting of these actions? The Bible tells us to repent of sin.

As I am not (an never was) Catholic, I'm not really a good one to step in here but (if the Catholics don't mind) I'm getting a little tired of the Catholic bashing as well. And I think that the underlying issues people have with the church stem from the church's history. By your logic, anything the Catholic Church did or didn't do prior to the Reformation is - most - all Christians fault, your ancestors were more than likely members of the Catholic Church at that time; I know mine were! Of course, I thought that whole "sins of that father" was OT...:shrug: I do agree that it would be nice if the Catholic Church would recant a LOT of things, but I hardly thing Radiant, Libby nor Bird Dog are in the Vatican telling the Pope to keep quiet :lol:

As I genuinely do not know, have all the Protestant Churches recanted their actions as well as the actions of their followers as many expect the Catholic Church to do? :whistle:

Anabaptist said:
If I give my interpretation, you'll say I'm saying your wrong! You want us to agree with you. You want to teach and not be taught. The burden of proof is that you do not want dialogue.

As far as I've ever seen, it is exclusively the non-Catholics that seem to think they have the authority to tell people their interpretation of an ancient book of hearsay is wrong...just sayin'

There's my two cents, I don't really have more than two cents since (like I said) I'm not nor have I ever been Catholic. I'm just tired of the holier-than-thous :smile:

Anabaptist

Perhaps that is because you do not take what Catholics say about their own faith at face value and instead continue on with your preconceived notions.

We consider them and refute them. Do you want us to simply agree?

If you will notice there are a lot of people (yourself included) who say what Catholics believe (and get a lot of it wrong) without even being Catholic.

What did we get wrong?

Catholics are confident in their faith and you aren't going to convert anyone here.

We are still commanded to not be silent to error.

Anabaptist

You and the others are not interested in dialogue. You just want to tell us how wrong the Catholic Church is.
The same squawks, same rants, same bigotry.

It is like having a battle of the wits with unarmed people.

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets." (Luke 6:26)

libby

We consider them and refute them. Do you want us to simply agree?

What did we get wrong?

We are still commanded to not be silent to error.

And there is the fly in the ointment. You do not need to refute our beliefs, just state yours.
Don't tell us our beliefs have no basis in Scripture when we provide ample Scripture. Have the Christian charity and Christian humility to say, "okay, I see why you believe what you believe", without having to believe it yourself.
"Commanded not to be silent to error"? Again, the hubris to think you have a lock on all Truth.

Anabaptist

As I am not (an never was) Catholic, I'm not really a good one to step in here but (if the Catholics don't mind) I'm getting a little tired of the Catholic bashing as well.

I've tried to be respectful though I'm sure I was not completely successful. I have a tendency to get defensive. I've gone as far to say that I think some Catholics have a love-faith relationship with Jesus Christ. The part I fail to understand is why expressing what we believe to be Catholic theological errors labeled as "Catholic bashing?" We are open to have our beliefs brought into question.

As I genuinely do not know, have all the Protestant Churches recanted their actions as well as the actions of their followers as many expect the Catholic Church to do? :whistle:

Probably not. To be fair, non-Catholics are too numerous to hold them all accountable for the ugly things that Protestants did during the reformation. There was an extremely violent sect of the Anabaptists during that time that destroyed the testimony of them all. The Anabaptist majority that taught nonviolence openly condemned the actions of that sect.

I realize the Catholics as individuals cannot control that their church has not recanted, but it's disheartening that so many are willing to sweep the past under a rug and ignore it.

There's my two cents, I don't really have more than two cents since (like I said) I'm not nor have I ever been Catholic. I'm just tired of the holier-than-thous

I'm not holier than thee, thy or thou!

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Anabaptist said:
As I am not (an never was) Catholic, I'm not really a good one to step in here but (if the Catholics don't mind) I'm getting a little tired of the Catholic bashing as well.

I've tried to be respectful though I'm sure I was not completely successful. I have a tendency to get defensive. I've gone as far to say that I think some Catholics have a love-faith relationship with Jesus Christ. The part I fail to understand is why expressing what we believe to be Catholic theological errors labeled as "Catholic bashing?" We are open to have our beliefs brought into question.

Probably not. To be fair, non-Catholics are too numerous to hold them all accountable for the ugly things that Protestants did during the reformation. There was an extremely violent sect of the Anabaptists during that time that destroyed the testimony of them all. The Anabaptist majority that taught nonviolence openly condemned the actions of that sect.

I realize the Catholics as individuals cannot control that their church has not recanted, but it's disheartening that so many are willing to sweep the past under a rug and ignore it.

There's my two cents, I don't really have more than two cents since (like I said) I'm not nor have I ever been Catholic. I'm just tired of the holier-than-thous

I'm not holier than thee, thy or thou!

I guess I should have quoted you thus implying that I was direct g my comments solely to you; that was more directed at the others, only a little bit you :lol:

Just all seems a little judgmental and hypocritical to me is all; one shouldn't judges based on assumptions nor on actions of others rather based on facts and those involved (and that goes for us non-Christians too).

Anabaptist

And there is the fly in the ointment. You do not need to refute our beliefs, just state yours.

Well, that's the trouble. My beliefs are that there is theological errors in the Catholic Church; therefore, stating my beliefs would violate these premises. I'm sorry if I have been hard on people. I did not want to come across like that, but I get carried away sometimes when I feel like I'm under attack. I was hoping to have a conversation on these issues where I could see why the Catholics believe how they do and why my reasoning for thinking there theology is in error is wrong. I realize my spirit has been harsh and I'm sorry.

Don't tell us our beliefs have no basis in Scripture when we provide ample Scripture.

I've not seen scriptures posted that were saying what the Catholics were saying they said. I've tried to show that it takes assumptions to make some verses teach certain doctrines.

Again, the hubris to think you have a lock on all Truth.

I may not have all the truth (I'm still learning), but I have the source of truth.

Anabaptist

Just all seems a little judgmental and hypocritical to me is all; one shouldn't judges based on assumptions nor on actions of others rather based on facts and those involved (and that goes for us non-Christians too).

I guess my reasoning which could very well be faulty is this: If the Ku Klux Klan one day seemed to change and suddenly loved African Americans, I could not be a part of their group in good conscious knowing their past. In this case, you have a church that claims to be the one true church. It claims that the gates of hell will never prevail against it. Yet it has a history of unbiblical blood shedding and the church does not recant its actions. That does not sit well with me.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
When people have no answer to the information you provide, they then throwing out the accusations.

Therein lies the problem. You give false information about the Catholic Church and want us to provide answers. You provide answers to questions not information.

This debate has been overdone on these forums so just because to just decided to take up arms we as Catholics have no more to say.

Just go back and look at all the posts. We cannot say anything more.
I am not speaking for Rad, Libby, One and the others but I am sure they feel the same.
You "evangelicals, baptists, anabaptists, preachers of hate, need to go find the souls that truly need to be saved and Roman Catholics are not them, Our souls a just fine, thank you.

Anabaptist

Therein lies the problem. You give false information about the Catholic Church and want us to provide answers. You provide answers to questions not information.

The historical things can be found in encyclopedias and history books.

libby

I guess my reasoning which could very well be faulty is this: If the Ku Klux Klan one day seemed to change and suddenly loved African Americans, I could not be a part of their group in good conscious knowing their past. In this case, you have a church that claims to be the one true church. It claims that the gates of hell will never prevail against it. Yet it has a history of unbiblical blood shedding and the church does not recant its actions. That does not sit well with me.[/QUOT

If you truly want to dialogue with Catholics, and understand Catholic doctrine, you will have to learn to separate the behaviors of individual Catholics, be they lay people, or bishops or popes, from the doctrines of the Church. The Doctrines are the only thing we believe are protected from error. The pope, as a man, is not infallible. Only in very limited circumstances are his teachings infallible.

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Anabaptist said:

I guess my reasoning which could very well be faulty is this: If the Ku Klux Klan one day seemed to change and suddenly loved African Americans, I could not be a part of their group in good conscious knowing their past. In this case, you have a church that claims to be the one true church. It claims that the gates of hell will never prevail against it. Yet it has a history of unbiblical blood shedding and the church does not recant its actions. That does not sit well with me.

Do you judge all Germans by the actions of the Third Reich?

Anabaptist

I'm of German lineage so I might not be the best person to ask, but I believe Germany has done a sufficient job at recanting their past.

Anabaptist

If you truly want to dialogue with Catholics, and understand Catholic doctrine, you will have to learn to separate the behaviors of individual Catholics, be they lay people, or bishops or popes, from the doctrines of the Church. The Doctrines are the only thing we believe are protected from error. The pope, as a man, is not infallible. Only in very limited circumstances are his teachings infallible.

In what cases would the Pope be infallible?

UNA

Wirelessly posted

Anabaptist said:

I'm of German lineage so I might not be the best person to ask, but I believe Germany has done a sufficient job at recanting their past.

I'm of German decent as well. My point is that you cannot judge one by the "sins of the father". I'd the Catholic Church were currently commuting those acts I would completely agree; but they're not and I'm sure Catholics in this forum would agree.

Anabaptist

I'm of German decent as well. My point is that you cannot judge one by the "sins of the father". I'd the Catholic Church were currently commuting those acts I would completely agree; but they're not and I'm sure Catholics in this forum would agree.

One could bring into question some of the current fruits of Catholic control in Latin America, but those are localized problems. Thus far, I have not seen a Catholic admit that these massacres in the name of religion are true, no less acknowledge that the church was wrong then and have since changed.

libby

In what cases would the Pope be infallible?

If you really want to know, go look it up. Same for the Catholic Church's position on non-Catholics.
As R1 said earlier, Catholics here have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to explain our beliefs.
I only spent this much time today because you specifically asked if any Catholics were still here. We're here, but tired of taking the "I just want to understand" bait. We can tell pretty quickly now who is learning and who is trolling.