Arial Spraying for Spring Canker Worm!

red_explorer

Oh....

Just saying...my chickens are absolutely loving the worms....they go along the edge of their coop, catching the worms all the time. The chickens are packing on the pounds, eating those worms, and I love it!!!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I live in the vicinity of Knight Life off Rt 235. I have called a couple of arial companies for a quote on crop dusting for these buggers. If we don't do something now - next year will be even worse, (although I can't imagine that being the case!)

Is there anyone else adjacent to this area who would like to get their property sprayed from above by the company who can give me the best price?

How's a mermaid going to help, unless the trees are

Under the sea..... Under the sea

mamatutu

mama to two
How's a mermaid going to help, unless the trees are

Under the sea..... Under the sea

Lame, but funny. I am so glad I am not a spelling Nazi. Karma can be in a bad mood sometimes; that is why I don't mess with the spelling on this forum. There is enough going on here! :lol:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I live in the vicinity of Knight Life off Rt 235. I have called a couple of arial companies for a quote on crop dusting for these buggers. If we don't do something now - next year will be even worse, (although I can't imagine that being the case!)

Is there anyone else adjacent to this area who would like to get their property sprayed from above by the company who can give me the best price?

How many trees?

We have about 30 (give or take) ornamental pears. I treat them with an annual systemic that they sell at Lowes, treat them every spring. I can see holes in the leaves where they started to eat the leaves but that's it... and no live worms on the trees.

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
How many trees?

We have about 30 (give or take) ornamental pears. I treat them with an annual systemic that they sell at Lowes, treat them every spring. I can see holes in the leaves where they started to eat the leaves but that's it... and no live worms on the trees.

Hundreds of trees - but it's definately worth a try at least in the vicinity of the house. What is the name of it? Are fruit trees soft wood? These things start on hard wood and only eat soft wood and shrubs when all the hard wood is gone - at my place they've even started in on the crunchy holly trees! I've sprayed so much Bug-Be-Gone NOTHING should be alive - but they're still dangling everywhere. :frown:

OK busted on the spelling of Aerial, guess i deserved that - as much as i do it to other peeps... :lol:

Last edited:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
This is the first year I've had them and they are pretty icky.

However, everything I've read said there's really nothing you can do but wait it out. And if the trees are healthy they will leaf out again once the worms pupate.

Look at it as survival of the fittest. :shrug:

MarieB

You are absolutely correct, my area is the same and so is the damage. I really think the lazies at MDE haven't got out from behind their desks and really know how bad the worms are this year.

Now I have more dark colored worms with a black stripe. Not seeing to many green worms, I'm wondering if the dark worms are gypsy moths?

Someone in another thread mentioned that they are gypsy moths, and I guess your supposed to call the DNR? If you're seeing a lot of them. The number and link was posted in the other inchworm thread

Here, post 35 & 38
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/269327-inch-worms-4.html

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!
You are absolutely correct, my area is the same and so is the damage. I really think the lazies at MDE haven't got out from behind their desks and really know how bad the worms are this year.

Now I have more dark colored worms with a black stripe. Not seeing to many green worms, I'm wondering if the dark worms are gypsy moths?

No you're not - the Fall and Spring caterpillers both hatch in spring and take many forms. You're seeing both versions of the same stupid moth.

Mr Muir - the forestry guy in charge of the state spraying program for gypsy moths - sent someone out to my place last week. He was shocked at the damage. We've been in contact with Mr Muir for the last several years about this problem but his hands are tied at the state level, since there aren't any plans to kill off these "native" (his words not mine) species even though they are invasive and extremely destructive. The wheels turn slowly on stuff like this because of limitations on chemicals that can be used and as usual, funding.

An oak about 6 inches in diameter uprooted and just fell over this weekend - it is right in the middle of the woods, so it wasn't blown down - it just fell over - it has zero leaves just crumpled up, silk covered clumps of veins stuck to the branches. I'm hoping that isn't a precursor to what will happen to the giant ones that are equally as nekkid.

Last edited:

DeeCee

A horse of course!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Hundreds of trees - but it's definately worth a try at least in the vicinity of the house. What is the name of it? Are fruit trees soft wood? These things start on hard wood and only eat soft wood and shrubs when all the hard wood is gone - at my place they've even started in on the crunchy holly trees! I've sprayed so much Bug-Be-Gone NOTHING should be alive - but they're still dangling everywhere. :frown:

OK busted on the spelling of Aerial, guess i deserved that - as much as i do it to other peeps... :lol:

Shop BAYER ADVANCED Gallon 12-Month Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed Concentrate at Lowes.com

Bayer Advanced 12 Month Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed..

I use it EVERY year in the Spring, and in the last three seasons my trees have over doubled in size with beautiful canopies.

Should add, since it's systemic it is NOT for use on FRUIT trees..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Mowing yesterday I was getting smacked in the head by these little green creatures hanging from the trees..

I think they were all trying to commit suicide to make the pain go away, and bring on a quicker death.

None of them were very lively..

FED_UP

Just saying...my chickens are absolutely loving the worms....they go along the edge of their coop, catching the worms all the time. The chickens are packing on the pounds, eating those worms, and I love it!!!

Sounds like a good time of the year to rent your chickens out for canker eating.

MarieB

These aren't gypsy moths they've been positively identified by the Dept of Forestry as Canker Worms. If you look further in that thread I posted pics of them.

It couldn't hurt for him to give them a call in case what he is seeing are gypsy moths.

officeguy

These aren't gypsy moths they've been positively identified by the Dept of Forestry as Canker Worms. If you look further in that thread I posted pics of them.

Where is the closes aerial applicator from your location ? I know of a couple on the eastern shore (Cambridge, Salisbury), can't remember seing a spray-plane or helo anywhere around here.

What are they charging per acre ?

In some places in VA the county sprays for the stuff.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Where is the closes aerial applicator from your location ? I know of a couple on the eastern shore (Cambridge, Salisbury), can't remember seing a spray-plane or helo anywhere around here.

What are they charging per acre ?

In some places in VA the county sprays for the stuff.

PA we had people that would tow in their sprayer planes and helos, and work out of a field someplace close by to where they were spraying that day.

They would work their way up and down the rivers..