Asthma and the Military

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
They are trying to get rid of VEAP, currently there are only 1700 people nationwide that are drawing VEAP, there were several open seasons where folks could convert over to GI Bill and some had to pay the $2700 or some had to pay $1200, depends on congress. The VA manages 8 different education programs.

Some states have the deal like PA where they pay for your school and you can get the GI Bill on top of it, MD isn't one of them. The big deal now is the reservists who have been called to active duty, after 12 months the military is discharging them from active duty for 2 weeks then reactivating them. That makes them ineligible for active duty GI Bill, but they can still get reserve GI Bill.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by jlabsher
They are trying to get rid of VEAP, currently there are only 1700 people nationwide that are drawing VEAP, there were several open seasons where folks could convert over to GI Bill and some had to pay the $2700 or some had to pay $1200, depends on congress. The VA manages 8 different education programs.

Some states have the deal like PA where they pay for your school and you can get the GI Bill on top of it, MD isn't one of them. The big deal now is the reservists who have been called to active duty, after 12 months the military is discharging them from active duty for 2 weeks then reactivating them. That makes them ineligible for active duty GI Bill, but they can still get reserve GI Bill.
I converted for $2700 and have the GI Bill. Damn happy I had that opportunity.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I didn't get VEAP when I went in, already had a degree. However I got up to 160 hours at any state college from IL when I got out, I knew people who got that plus the GI Bill & kicker. GI Bill is much better deal than VEAP ever was, of course the best one was the OLD GI Bill, they get an extra $200 a month plus extra depending on how many dependents they have, AND they didn't have to put any money in.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by migtig
Actually, if your doctor will write a medical waiver, she can be accepted by almost any branch, even the Air Force. She is just gonna have to try a different recruiter. Also, a point of noteworthiness, always go towards the end of the month when recruiters are more desperate to fill their quota and more willing to accept medical waivers.

:bs: There is no way they'll let you in with Asthma. They could give a rats behind what your doctor says.

Kain, if your daughter has asthma, she really needs to rethink her career choice.

K

Kain99

I had a friend tell me that recruiters are professional liars. I've been reading the regulations and everything you guys are writing here.

At this moment, He is telling us that if she can prove 6 months without medication she's in. Her PFT tests are good enough that she'll pass.

This is so confusing. Wouldn't the recruiter just ditch her if it was impossible to get her in? :frown:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by Kain99
This is so confusing. Wouldn't the recruiter just ditch her if it was impossible to get her in? :frown:

The recruiter isn't doctor; he's just a "headhunter" of sorts ... it'll be up to the physicians at MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) to make the determination of her 'fitness' for duty.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Originally posted by Kain99
I had a friend tell me that recruiters are professional liars. I've been reading the regulations and everything you guys are writing here.

At this moment, He is telling us that if she can prove 6 months without medication she's in. Her PFT tests are good enough that she'll pass.

WRONG.. any asthma attack in her lifetime would permanently disqualify her.. 6 months use to relate to marijuana/drug use.. if you burned the pizz test at MEPS you had to wait 6 months to try again.

Maybe a misinformed recruiter, or as in my earlier post.. keep her around see if she can provide referrals, what recruiters refer to as COI's (center's of influence).

and yes the best way to tell if a recruiter is lying is to see if his lips are moving.. granted not so bad for AF Recruiters.. but when you get threatened with your livelihood on a daily basis.. lose your job, get kicked out of the military if you don't make your quota... you tend to do whatever you have to to keep food on the table...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'll have to check, but I still may have the Medical Reg at home somewhere.. I think I burned most everything related to recruiting when I retired, but may have somethings that escaped the flames.

KAIN.. I can help you if your daughter wants it.. is she dead set on the Air Force? Need to know what was done for her by her recruiter how much paper was provided etc.. HUGE question is.. did she take the physical at MEPS!? Need to find out from the recruiter if he passed anything to MEPS concerning your daughter...

K

Kain99

Thanks Bob... I sent you the information in a PM.... I appreciate all of your help!