AT hiker blows hand off on trail

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Something doesn't add up here. While a stick of dynamite and a road flare might look alike in a backpack, I find it hard to believe it was simple confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't dynamite require a percussive event (ie blasting cap) or similar to trigger the explosion? Dynamite is a relatively stable compound and from what I've read, doesn't go off by just trying to light it. Also, a flare has a strike lighter on the end to light it and dynamite does not, so .... I really find it hard to make a confusion which leads to an explosive event. You have to really try to make dynamite go off.

Flares have been known to explode.. but you're right, EXCEPT dynamite isn't very stable.
When Dynamite ages it sweats, and it sweats Nitro Glycerin, making it VERY unstable to even handle.

I've cooked C-Rats and MRE's using pieces of C-4, just remember NOT to stamp it out with your foot.

Most explosives burn really well in small quantities, regardless of the weather, and heat up and boil water real quick.

I'm curious as what the explosive was as well, but being that he only lost a hand I'm thinking NOT C-4 or Dynamite, or TNT as even a single stick, or a 1/4 lb of C-4 would have killed him, or at least done a LOT more damage than just lose a hand.

Maybe a type of firecracker intended to scare away bears??

Clem72

Something doesn't add up here. While a stick of dynamite and a road flare might look alike in a backpack, I find it hard to believe it was simple confusion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't dynamite require a percussive event (ie blasting cap) or similar to trigger the explosion? Dynamite is a relatively stable compound and from what I've read, doesn't go off by just trying to light it. Also, a flare has a strike lighter on the end to light it and dynamite does not, so .... I really find it hard to make a confusion which leads to an explosive event. You have to really try to make dynamite go off.

Every looney toons cartoon I watched growing up says otherwise. you light the fuse and you have just enough time to drill a hole in the bad guys cast, drop the stick in, and hammer in a cork before it goes off.