Atheists suck - says most everyone

philibusters

I wonder how many African American men were actually lynched back then. If you listen to the BLM and NAACP folks you'd think it was thousands.

Post Civil War era or 1950's and 1960's? There were lynching during both periods but obviously a lot more in the era immediately following the Civil War in the south.

MR47930

I'm an atheist, but not the kind that runs around getting offended wanting god removed from money and all that nonsense. I simply don't believe in any higher power of any kind.

Sapidus

In the name of God?

No. We know more than 95% of abortions are done in the name of convenience for the mother. Her way of life is too important in her opinion to change based on the willful action she took to create a life, so someone must die to keep her life from changing too drastically.

Momma makes THE valid point though. This study was not about what people do, it's about what people think of religious versus atheist.

You are ridiculous you have no idea how many religious vs non religious people have abortions. I would say until recently it was more likely a religious person would be convinced to have a quiet abortion to not bring Jake on the family. Why is this always where all your discussions end up?

hotbikermama40

Other than Jesus, I have never heard of someone without sin.

The difference has never been the ability of the person to be "good". The difference is the standard. A religious person generally has a set, solid, unchanging standard. An atheist, by definition, has no standard stronger than the opinion they hold at any given moment.

and few things arouse more passion and fervor than the subject matter of religion...which has in reality as shown through history led many to commit horrific acts that they justified as "what they were led to do". The actual definition of an Athiest is one who disbelieves in the presence or existence of God, or of gods. Where is it that you believe they have no "solid standards" or resiliency to their opinions?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
In the name of God?

No. We know more than 95% of abortions are done in the name of convenience for the mother. Her way of life is too important in her opinion to change based on the willful action she took to create a life, so someone must die to keep her life from changing too drastically.

Momma makes THE valid point though. This study was not about what people do, it's about what people think of religious versus atheist.
How many atheists pushed women into getting abortions? Past MMO it's hard to come up with any.

This_person

You are ridiculous you have no idea how many religious vs non religious people have abortions. I would say until recently it was more likely a religious person would be convinced to have a quiet abortion to not bring Jake on the family. Why is this always where all your discussions end up?

Do they have abortions in the name of God?

This_person

and few things arouse more passion and fervor than the subject matter of religion...which has in reality as shown through history led many to commit horrific acts that they justified as "what they were led to do". The actual definition of an Athiest is one who disbelieves in the presence or existence of God, or of gods. Where is it that you believe they have no "solid standards" or resiliency to their opinions?

From what source, outside of themselves, would their moral compass exist?

This_person

How many atheists pushed women into getting abortions? Past MMO it's hard to come up with any.

I will admit to not knowing who or what MMO is.

I believe it's a cultural thing. Sanger and her ilk helped convince people abortion should be acceptable.

Sterilization of American citizens continued until 1970. Hundreds of thousands of people at least. This was done involuntarily. Maybe not directly killing, but pretty ####ty

hotbikermama40

From what source, outside of themselves, would their moral compass exist?

Our moral compass comes from more than religion. It's our internal set of values, which are taught and learned from family, society, experience, to name a few that we use to base our ethical reasoning and decision making on. You can't say someone who doesn't believe in God doesn't have a moral compass, anymore than someone who doesn't build a house out of stone doesn't have a home.

PeoplesElbow

Most atheists are just fine people, there is a small very vocal group that feels the need to belittle everyone that believes in some higher being at every turn that give the rest a bad name. These people feel the need to try to press their lack of religion the same way the door to door missionaries do but often at a much more annoying level. I have heard people say "I am an atheist and I think these people are #######s" when referring to the social justice warriors that get offended over any religion anywhere. It is no different than judging all Christians by the Westboro Baptist Church.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Other than Jesus, I have never heard of someone without sin.

The difference has never been the ability of the person to be "good". The difference is the standard. A religious person generally has a set, solid, unchanging standard. An atheist, by definition, has no standard stronger than the opinion they hold at any given moment.
Why is an external standard any better than an internal one?
It's very likely that the Christian isn't going meet his standard, most of them don't. The fact is most Christians don't even try to hit all of the marks, there's a lot of pride, envy, covetousness and lust going on and they know they shouldfeel bad about it, but they don't. An honest atheist on the other hand knows that those are just a part of their makeup and accepts them with no qualms.

littlelady

God bless the USA
It's very likely that the Christian isn't going meet his standard, most of them don't. The fact is most Christians don't even try to hit all of the marks, there's a lot of pride, envy, covetousness and lust going on and they know they shouldfeel bad about it, but they don't. An honest atheist on the other hand knows that those are just a part of their makeup and accepts them with no qualms.

Very complicated subject. A poll on this subject is a joke; especially so few polled. It boils down to human compassion and openesss. No one on Earth now knows anything, really. It is how we conduct ourselves while we are here. That is what really counts. I have been married, now, to two atheists. I am a believer in Christ. It has never been a problem in both my marriages. I was baptized Methodist. But, whatever. No one is perfect, and has to find their own way. I do have to say that my x mil was so far out there that she donated to every crazy tv evangelist and her money ran out; and she used to say she was better than Jesus. :doh: Like I said, to each his own. Religion will be the downfall of the World. Isis jihadist, anyone? Does anyone know what religion Kim Jong Il follows? All the turmoil in the World is happening because of something intangible. Go figure.

This is interesting:

http://www.billionbibles.org/north-korea/juche-religion.html

And, one more thing. My current "in-laws" are the most devout Catholics I have ever known in my life. They lost a Marine son to PTSD 20 years ago, and stlll believe. They are big timers/volunteers at the Basilica in DC, but can't stand the current Pope. :shrug: More power to them. I admire them. No one will know anything until the day we die, but it is a good thing to have faith.

Last edited:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Atheist here, If there is a God why doesn't the MF'er just SMITE all the bad people on earth? Murderer, Child abuser, Woman beater, etc... We supposed to learn from these horrible experiences ???????

This_person

A study based on a ....wait for it...poll. Because that's how you tell what "people" think - you ask them. And we call that a "poll".

Well, 13000 people in 13 countries on 5 continents. I am not convinced most people would refer to that the same way they would refer to a political poll

This_person

Our moral compass comes from more than religion. It's our internal set of values, which are taught and learned from family, society, experience, to name a few that we use to base our ethical reasoning and decision making on. You can't say someone who doesn't believe in God doesn't have a moral compass, anymore than someone who doesn't build a house out of stone doesn't have a home.

I didn't say they don't have a moral compass. I said the source of their moral compass is their current opinion, because it is set firmly in warm jello.

A religious person has a firm set of rules by which to live their life. It does not come from their experiences with the things you listed. Everything you listed is bounced off of a rigid, unchanging, uniform set of standards.

However, I agree with you those things are the basis for an atheist's point of view. And, since we live in a country that has a larger set of self-identified Christians than Isreal has self-identified Jews, I would say most atheists follow the Judeo-Christian standards, for the most part (pick and choose what they like). That's why we evaluate them often as "good", because the standards they mostly choose to follow are ours.

This_person

Most atheists are just fine people, there is a small very vocal group that feels the need to belittle everyone that believes in some higher being at every turn that give the rest a bad name. These people feel the need to try to press their lack of religion the same way the door to door missionaries do but often at a much more annoying level. I have heard people say "I am an atheist and I think these people are #######s" when referring to the social justice warriors that get offended over any religion anywhere. It is no different than judging all Christians by the Westboro Baptist Church.

:yay:

This_person

Interesting how you answered your own question.