Auto Repair Shops in Calvert?

frequentflier

happy to be living
How often do you need to get your cars fixed?

Our Astro van is 20 years old and we ride it pretty hard. Larry has done most of the work on it for the past 10+ years we have been here; including the initial inspection. The other two vehicles are newer and knock on wood, have needed little work besides nails in the tires plugged.

Kind of like someone else said, I believe him to be honest. He is friendly, helpful and has always done right by us.

thrash

I go to Larry's, too! I drive an older car with a lot of goofy issues which don't affect drivability, and they get it. Other places insist on convincing me to spend $600+ fixing my fuel gauge that I don't need with odometer tracking...

teacherhm

If it's a foreign car - Huntzberry's in Prince Frederick! We have used John (Huntzberry) to service all of our cars for 10+ years. He is honest, hard working, and does a great job every time. I highly recommend him!

glhs837

Power with Control
Thanks for all the recommendations. For all you Larry's fans, I could not find a website for Larry's, although I did come across several good reviews. So I checked out the Google street view, and it looks like an old grease-monkey type garage that were more common 20+ years ago, and many of the cars in the parking lot look to be from that same era.
Link to street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.411...m4!1sWJO_P3rI1k9nKsN30KiFPA!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Is there even a waiting room? There doesn't appear to be much room for one.

I dunno, place looks pretty spiffy to me. It's a Mercedes dealership compared to my preferred place :)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.252...BSIO8M_c7S23WyjSQ9Q!2e0!7i3328!8i1664!6m1!1e1

Now, would I ask either shop to diagnose a problem with say the stability control or airbag system? Probably not. But those sorts of systems don't fail often. Need brakes done, or any sort of fluid service, hard parts like tie rods, ball joint, that sort of thing? Modern vehicles in most ways are not any different than ones from 1985. And I say this as a guy who has wrenched on stuff from 1968 up to the mid-2000s. If your wife or daughter isn't comfortable going to such a place, I'm not sure what you after? the Globo Gym of garages?

Smith

I called Larry's on Thursday morning and whoever answered the phone did so with just "Hello?". I had to ask if I had reached Larry's Auto Service. So far, not a good start. I asked for an estimate and gave all the pertinent information, which I then had to repeat again as he took notes. Not getting any better. He took my number and said he would call me right back. This was around 10:30 AM.

Work kept me busy until around 2:30 PM and I had given up on a call back from Larry's. I was literally looking up the number for another shop when I finally got a call from Larry. The price was reasonable and he could do it Friday morning, so we gave him a try. Since this is the car my daughter drives, I had her take it in. Looking at the invoice, he charged $25 more for the part than the highest price I found when looking it up, but he only charged half of what I thought the labor was going to be. A little odd, but the total amount is all that really matters.

I will probably go to Larry's again in the future. Hopefully he will be the one answering the phone next time I call.