Bacon Grease

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I guess I'm stupid when it comes to this. Can you just let it sit out and use it as needed? I always figured if it was a few days old, even in the fridge, it was no good.

I've never thought about it. three previous generations have left it out so I've always assumed it was safe. Probably naturally antibiotic due to the salt, nitrate and smoke content.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If bacon grease left out in a can by the stove and used days later were bad for you me, my cousins, my mom, and all my aunts and uncles would be dead. I'd say my grandmother would be dead, too, but she died of something else.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
If bacon grease left out in a can by the stove and used days later were bad for you me, my cousins, my mom, and all my aunts and uncles would be dead. I'd say my grandmother would be dead, too, but she died of something else.

Thank you. I remember my mom had a "pot" on the stove forever. Never really questioned it, but I'll bet it was full of bacon grease. I do remember the fish she fried having a bacon flavor to it. I don't fry a lot of food, I buy a bottle of oil maybe once every 6 months and that's usually when hubby is home. My last cholesterol test was 128, doc said it was okay, so I guess I must be doing something right.

Last edited:

acommondisaster

I guess I'm stupid when it comes to this. Can you just let it sit out and use it as needed? I always figured if it was a few days old, even in the fridge, it was no good.

Never thought about it either. Grew up in Wisconsin, so we didn't have the long hot humid summers that we have here. No one I know ever got sick from it and it never had a rancid taste to it. I grew up in a german neighborhood; most people used their bacon grease for german potato salad. nummers.

ZARA

It depends. If the bacon grease is not fully cooked then it will go bad sitting out. If the bacon is fully cooked (no partially cooked fat or moisture in the grease) then you can leave it out.

I like to keep mine in the fridge because I have a cute lil kitty that has a bacon grease fetish...I learned this because of the cute lil kitty paw prints and licked grease in my cast iron...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Thank you. I remember my mom had a "pot" on the stove forever. Never really questioned it, but I'll bet it was full of bacon grease.

I think the key is 'constant use' ....... I have seen mold growing on the grease, because mom quit using it, and it just sat there ...

Jameo

What?!
We had a little canister that used to sit on the back of the stove for bacon drippings when I was growing up. The canister had the word GREASE on it in raised letters; I think it might have had a strainer kind of lid that was inserted at the top to catch any bacon crumblings. My dad fried his eggs and fried potatoes in bacon grease every morning. Nothing's better for frying 'taters than bacon grease!

Fried potatoes in bacon grease is a must!! :yum:

luvmygdaughters

I know it defeats the whole reason for eating "fresh vegetables", but, bacon grease, salt and pepper on fresh string beans is absolutely :drool: delicious.
Of course, hubby just had a quadruple bypass, so, that will no longer be part of our diet. Dammit.

PJay

I know it defeats the whole reason for eating "fresh vegetables", but, bacon grease, salt and pepper on fresh string beans is absolutely :drool: delicious.
Of course, hubby just had a quadruple bypass, so, that will no longer be part of our diet. Dammit.

Hope your husband is home and doing well.

A big pot of green beans and potatoes seasoned with bacon fat and salt and pepper like my grandmother made....yum.

She also used some bacon fat to fry chicken. Delicious.

luvmygdaughters

Hope your husband is home and doing well.

A big pot of green beans and potatoes seasoned with bacon fat and salt and pepper like my grandmother made....yum.

She also used some bacon fat to fry chicken. Delicious.

He is home and recovering well. Its very hard for him to change his diet, but, he is getting better. Yep, forgot about the new potatos with the beans. It was a staple in our home when I was growing up.

officeguy

No worse than a scoop of icecream. If the string beans with bacon grease is not a daily part of the diet, it won't make his arteries clog up any more than other foods. There is no secret pathway that moves bacon grease from your mouth into your coronaries.

PJay

No worse than a scoop of icecream. If the string beans with bacon grease is not a daily part of the diet, it won't make his arteries clog up any more than other foods. There is no secret pathway that moves bacon grease from your mouth into your coronaries.

Strange how it works. My grandparents ate fatty stuff and lived long lives.

Bacon grease and green beans = clogged arteries

Butter and green beans = clogged arteries

Margarine and green beans = clogged arteries

Does anyone else see a pattern? :confused: We all need to steer clear of green beans. :coffee: