Bad Motorcycle Crash

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I will add.. light or sound, defensive driving is your BEST defense.

Statistics show that loud bikes are in more deadly accidents than quiet bikes, or unaltered bikes..

WHY would be the question.

One of the answers MAY be.. because they are led to believe "Loud pipes save lives!" they get complacent. "My bike is SOOO loud EVERYONE has to be able to hear me!" and they are no longer keeping their sides clear, or ensuring someone turning onto the road has recognized them. They are just riding and feeling bulletproof.

Not ONE thing is going to keep you out of an accident, and you can never let your guard down and NOT ride defensively.

We all have our likes and dislikes, but in the end we all want to live to ride another day.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I will add.. light or sound, defensive driving is your BEST defense.

Not ONE thing is going to keep you out of an accident, and you can never let your guard down and NOT ride defensively.

We all have our likes and dislikes, but in the end we all want to live to ride another day.

Yeah, that's it. :buddies:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Disagree. That's never been proven to be effective one way or the other.

Especially when you see the windows in a car around you vibrating.
You just know there's some of that "club music" blaring away, so they wouldn't hear a bomb go off; never mind a motorcycle or perhaps more importantly, a siren.

craberta

I'm betting this involved "crotch rockets."
NO! no crotch rocket, I swear! Today, we rode with a group, and I swear, the lead guy almost got hit when a B I Yotch crammed herselt between him, nd the rest of the group. there was maybe 14 feet between him and the group. Today the wind on the bridge is what nearly wrecked us, but it was a really fun ride.

shrlyjo

A friend and I were riding last Friday and a lady in the car beside us opened her window and tossed her cigarette out her window right onto my friend. It hit her on her leg but what would happen it that had been her face or it had got under her helmet. The women knew we were beside her. She just didn't care...

craberta

A friend and I were riding last Friday and a lady in the car beside us opened her window and tossed her cigarette out her window right onto my friend. It hit her on her leg but what would happen it that had been her face or it had got under her helmet. The women knew we were beside her. She just didn't care...

What a beeoch. Well, the ol mans pants once started burning when an idiots cigarette landed in the cuff. those were 40 dollar pants that we had just bought.

LadyWolf

Then of course you have those complete morons who ride the "rice rockets" and go in between vehicles and between lanes, drive 100 mph and don't give a damn. People expect us to have sympathy when they crash. If they have no regard for themselves or the life of someone else, the way I see it, one more less moron on the road.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Why are you so sure she KNEW you were beside her??

You should know to keep your sides clear. If you are riding alongside somebody you're doing something wrong. You should be behind, or in front of, not beside. Luckily it was the cigarette and not the door handle that hit her.

Need more details as to the situation, but I think there were some mistakes made on both parts.

ladyhawk

My exhaust is louder than most and there is no doubt that it has saved me from getting smashed more than once. If someone is too distracted to see me, they might hear me. I ride over 15 k miles a year in all kinds of weather and cagers never cease to amaze me. (I don't sit at redlights reving my engine like an ####### either)

Sorry, we have had a few motorcycles over the years.. I use to ride dirt bikes and they were loud enough and they were pretty loud...

The quietest bike we've had is our BMW (1500LT).... It doesn't matter if you rev your engine or not.. if you have loud pipes, the noise is still loud enough that passengers have to yell to be heard, unless you have an intercom system... I've been a passenger on bikes with the loud pipes and those that threw flames (pretty scary)...

It's sad that some manufacturers use "Loud pipes" as signatures, because I do love some of those bikes. I also agree with you, those that rev their engines are idiots! I thank you for not being one of them and I can't blame you for choosing a bike you like regardless of the noise. It is after all your choice!

June

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Statistics show that loud bikes are in more deadly accidents than quiet bikes, or unaltered bikes..

WHY would be the question.

One of the answers MAY be..
The open exhaust cruiser crowd tends to use less safety equipment. T-shirts in the summer and a salad bowl with straps for a helmet. Black leather may look cool in a bar but it doesn't do much for increasing a rider's visibility.

It's sad that some manufacturers use "Loud pipes" as signatures,

ALL manufacturers are required to meet the same EPA noise regulations. They're quiet when they leave the factory

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Be seen

Attachments

• Mesh_tex_day_glow.jpg
    Mesh_tex_day_glow.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 289

dustin

UAIOE
Maintain a positive speed differential

:yeahthat:

I always thought street riding was similar to playing a chess game (thinking in my head... where could the next possible move come from and how would that affect me)

Hopefully at least someone can learn a lesson from this rider's tragedy...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:yeahthat:

I always thought street riding was similar to playing a chess game (thinking in my head... where could the next possible move come from and how would that affect me)

Hopefully at least someone can learn a lesson from this rider's tragedy...

Yeah, three level chess and it's you against 48 other people, one for each of the other pieces spread over all three boards.

:jameo:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, three level chess and it's you against 48 other people, one for each of the other pieces spread over all three boards.

:jameo:

Yep, its akin to riding rapids in a boat. Because whats happening 1/2 mile up the road is going affect you eventually. If you stay focused on the piece of water your going through right now, then your not positioning yourself to properly negotiate the next dangerous bit. Too much attention paid to that stuff up there, you get run over here.