Banning Smoking????

Should all smoking be banned in public indoor places?

• Yes

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 39.0%
  • It doesn't bother me

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by johndoug
So, let me see if I get this right?

There are no black SMIBs?
LOL - Thought you had an education around here JD. Sorry you don't know the history of where you live. Originally St. Mary's, was settled by only a few families. Over the years these families were pretty much left to themselves. Henceforth the dialact and regional patter in the Southern Maryland area. These settlers were white. And they have been accused of being inbreed, due to the fact that there were only a few families in the area, and there was a lot of intermarrying going on. So yes, SMIB is white, in the original context. Class dismissed.

VicMackey

Originally posted by migtig
Please define a "gun nut".

Someone with an unnatural fixation on the Second Amendment (but conveniently glosses over that militia part), a shotgun rack in their pickup, and an obsession with owning multiple guns just in case the government gets out of hand and the end times are upon us. You know the type.

Who are you to make such an assumption about people in real time vs internet time?

I've been using the internet for about 15 years. I have a pretty good idea about real life and net life.

And if not, thinking that you are so much better than us, why did you join here?

Sorry, I must have missed the part on the signup page about "only worshipping of southern maryland is allowed here." I joined because a saw a mention of this site on another webpage. It suggested that a great deal of humor could be derived from reading these columns. So far, it's true.

Personally, I hate this area, and I hate the denizens that fit the "SMIB" stereotype. Believe it or not, it's a free country, and I'm allowed to do that. You can hate me for being a stuck-up yuppie if you like. It's a free country.

But I don't see why we can't have an antidote here to all the slavish worshipping of southern maryland life. In fact, I'd like to suggest that the admin open a new forum where those of us who dislike this area can vent our grievences. My guess is you're not ready to hear criticism.

Where the heck are you from that you can come on this board and call us SMIB's? Do you have that right? Or are you so superior you just assumed it? And don't you realize SMIB is a racist and derogatory term?

See above, it's my right as an American. You may call me a bad name if you like; it's your right. And I didn't call everyone on here a SMIB. You SMIBS know who you are. Do I care it's racist? Not really. As far as I know, it implies a white trash, trailer-dwelling, lite beer-drinking, rusty pickup driving, NASCAR watching, wrestling fan. Believe it or not, there's thousands like that around this area, usually driving twenty miles under the speed limit in the left lane, just to annoy me. It's supposed to be derogatory. I don't know how much true inbreeding there is down here, although there certainly are an awful lot of folks with the same last name.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by VicMackey
Personally, I hate this area, and I hate the denizens that fit the "SMIB" stereotype. Believe it or not, it's a free country, and I'm allowed to do that. You can hate me for being a stuck-up yuppie if you like. It's a free country.

ST? Is that you?! :wink: :lol:

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't click the link Vic quoted from Puddin - the site does pop up a bunch of spyware. If you click anyway cause you want to see the SMIBs, say NO when it asks you if you want to install any programs.

To sum up:

Smoke Nazis suck.

Bubble people suck.

People with no sense of humor suck.

The term "SMIB" does not describe all residents of SoMD.

JLab and Ken - stop making sense. This is supposed to be an emotion-based argument, not a logic-based one. :razz:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
... To sum up:

Smoke Nazis suck.

Bubble people suck.

People with no sense of humor suck. ...
Aren't all of these the same people? :confused:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sorry, I assumed folks on this board were culturally hip enough to detect the name of a TV character. Didn't realize you were all so naive.
The only naïve or moronic person I’ve seem on here in months is VicMackey.

Which is why you made pithy comments about donuts, right?
Wasn’t that when we were talking about “Bad Cops”, keep up you mental midget.

Well, I hope you're not planning on changing jobs any time soon--most employers will do a quick scan of the internet to see what sort of stuff their potential employees are into. Over the past few years I've ended up not hiring dozens of people, because when I search for their names I find their online activities prove them to a be a moron. I guarantee if I were interested in hiring you, and saw the sort of silly pap you posted on these forums, your app would go straight in the round file.
Why change jobs? The broom getting to hard for you to push. Also an employer needing to be as deep in an employee’s life as you want to be can only mean one thing, you are a :loser: .

The point is, there's a reason to not use one's real name or occupation in a profile. Especially in this area with so many gun nuts in it. I've seen a lot of hotheads on this board who blow up at the least provocation--a pseudonym is a fine way to ensure the wrath of some ticked off SMIB stays in the electonic world only.
The only reason there is to not use your real name is to be able to make BS comments and hide in anonymity. You are a coward, afraid to be associated with what you spew. Such a great person, NOT. That is you, you p##sy.

Anyway, I see it's pointless to argue with you--you'll never believe the overwhelming evidence that smoking causes cancer, and will instead harp on the few anecdotal cases such as yourself. And that's fine. Although I despise smoking (I'd like to see it banned outdoors too--there's always some out-of-shape dipstick lumbering down the street in front of me, blocking the street and puffing away. Yeah, I really wanted to inhale your carcinogens you stupid pig), the good thing is that smokers tend to die off early enough before they've sucked up too much health care money. So I'm willing to tolerate smoking as a cheap way to fund health care.
And it is equally as useless to discuss anything with you as your mind is in lock down and you have succumbed to the propaganda of the anti-smoking Nazis. And no one is making you inhale second hand smoke, do us all a favor and help clean up the environment by holding your breathe.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I just personally don't understand hate filled venom spewing narrow minded people. You are right, this is America, which is a free country, which is also why I don't understand why someone would choose to live somewhere that they despise so much. :confused: I wasn't born here, I wasn't raised here, heck I haven't even lived here long enough to be considered "from around here", but I chose to live here. I like it just fine. Sure there are things I don't like, but that is true of anywhere one might chose to live. But I don't talk down to people and I don't insult people and I have found there are plenty of intelligent, fun and talented people around here whom I am happy I have gotten to know. I don't hate you as you suggest I do, I really think I feel more pity for you than anything else. It's a shame that you aren't enjoying the area and the people and all the good things in life.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What is scary is that he is a cop. I would hate to get pulled by him and be the "wrong whatever". Sounds as if he has anger issues too.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by kwillia
RR... I think he said he wasn't really a cop... the character he chose for his name/avatar is a cop.
My bad. Oh well. He still is angry and mean.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by cariblue
Not that I don't appreciate everyone's input, but doesn't it boil down to a communistic society if we start banning things that we've lived with in this country for hundreds of years? Things that people have historically made a livelihood from? It's a form of control.

Don't get me wrong...I don't mind certain establishments not allowing smoking, but when we start doing this across the board, like CA and NY, everyone loses. If it's left up to the owner of the establishment, that's fine. You'll have some places that allow smoking, and some that don't. People still have a choice. It's when we no longer have a choice that it becomes controlled and communistic.

The whole concept just smacks of dictatorship.

Excellent points, Cari. Tobacco is not like alcohol. People who get drunk are a danger to themselves and to others. I believe that's why there are legal limits on drinking--because lawmakers felt there was a compelling community interest that outweighed individual rights. It's a lot harder to make a similar argument regarding secondhand smoke.

willie

In the case of smoking, I think a wee bit of dictatorship might be OK. I don't want my Grandkids to even have a choice.

L

Lexington Punk

I don't think a ban on smoking would be all that bad.
I hate it, but try not to get too upset about other peoples smoke.

It wouild be more like a dictatorship to ban things we have had all along. I do not think that it is communistic. Isnt that just where everyone has to share everything? I hope thats not too picky or anything. But there is a difference.

L

Lexington Punk

I was attempting to point out the difference between a dictatorship and communism. I do not think that it is communistic to ban smoking. I think it is more like a dictatorship.
I do not support a dictatorship form of government.

SxyPrincess

Hey, but if you think about it...how many of us grew up where living in a household where we had choices? Not me - my father made it clear how and when things were going to be done. :biggrin:

L

Lexington Punk

I am not crazy about bans on things.
Smoking may be a different story. There has just been so much evidence that proves how harmful it can be. I do not think it would hurt anyone to ban smoking.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well JohnDoug makes an interesting point and I am just curious if anyone thinks that they started smoking b/c of being around others who smoke, or if they think kids start smoking b/c of it. I personally don't think thats true in all cases b/c I am the only one in my house now and growing up that does not smoke and I never have. I always thought it was gross and never wanted to, but Andy said he started b/c he was around it. Has has quit now, but I do wonder what that driving influential force is to start smoking.