Bass guitarists

If I wanted to buy a book for someone that wants to learn to play bass, but who lacks the ability to focus for long periods of times / doesn't stay as motivated as they'd like to, what book could you recommend?

Also, just in case, the same question for learning basic guitar as well.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If I wanted to buy a book for someone that wants to learn to play bass, but who lacks the ability to focus for long periods of times / doesn't stay as motivated as they'd like to, what book could you recommend?

Also, just in case, the same question for learning basic guitar as well.

Any book that has 'tabs' or 'tablature'. Tab is reading music for dummies. It just shows you 'this finger here for this number of beats, dumb ass, and then this finger here for this part, stupid. And then, moron, as you put these together, play along to song and, viola, you're a bass player/guitar player! Idiot."

Any book that has 'tabs' or 'tablature'. Tab is reading music for dummies. It just shows you 'this finger here for this number of beats, dumb ass, and then this finger here for this part, stupid. And then, moron, as you put these together, play along to song and, viola, you're a bass player/guitar player! Idiot."

Yeah, following tabs to learn songs is easy enough. I'd like them to be able to learn and understand bass (or guitar) on a level that might foster lasting interest.

I suppose just learning some songs via tablature might be enough to get a solid foot in the further interest door. But I'm not willing to settle for that option yet.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yeah, following tabs to learn songs is easy enough. I'd like them to be able to learn and understand bass (or guitar) on a level that might foster lasting interest.

I suppose just learning some songs via tablature might be enough to get a solid foot in the further interest door. But I'm not willing to settle for that option yet.

In my view, tabs is exactly what you want then. I'm an NRA certified beginner pistol instructor and one of the things they taught us was to make sure new students 'get some hits' (we move them up to 7 yards and I've gone closer) so as to leave them with a sense of accomplishment and long term interest. Same thing here. Tabs will get a total noob up to speed on Smoke on the water in a couple minutes. Then, like anything else, you're either hooked right then and there or never will be.

:buddies:

In my view, tabs is exactly what you want then. I'm an NRA certified beginner pistol instructor and one of the things they taught us was to make sure new students 'get some hits' (we move them up to 7 yards and I've gone closer) so as to leave them with a sense of accomplishment and long term interest. Same thing here. Tabs will get a total noob up to speed on Smoke on the water in a couple minutes. Then, like anything else, you're either hooked right then and there or never will be.

Okay, I'll consider that.

Any songs I should be thinking about that would be easy and yet create a sense of accomplishment?

They're young and into newish non-poppy stuff. But they also like a lot of older rock stuff, I'm thinking that's the right starting place.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
For someone who is ADD it might be a bit much to expect them to learn on their own from a book even if it is just tabs. Don't underestimate the power of an actual human being (i.e. teacher) who can capture their attention a bit easier, not to mention motivate and excite them about what they're learning. I have a recommendation if you're interested in going that route.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Okay, I'll consider that.

Any songs I should be thinking about that would be easy and yet create a sense of accomplishment?

They're young and into newish non-poppy stuff. But they also like a lot of older rock stuff, I'm thinking that's the right starting place.

Smoke on the water, for sure.

Iron Man is an easy riff to learn.

Basic scales are fun and make you feel like you know something.

Absolutely learn to tune

Happy Birthday

Wild Thing

They could just make a whole bunch of noise and call it jazz...... :evil:

For someone who is ADD it might be a bit much to expect them to learn on their own from a book even if it is just tabs. Don't underestimate the power of an actual human being (i.e. teacher) who can capture their attention a bit easier, not to mention motivate and excite them about what they're learning. I have a recommendation if you're interested in going that route.

I'll keep that in mind as well. The issue would be getting them committed enough to start with a teacher. Might need to foster the initial interest a bit to get to that point.

PM me a recommendation if you want in case we can talk them into that.

Midnightrider

yep, its a lot like teaching kid to fish. You want them to be able to catch something before they get bored.

As for songs, you can get books for just about every classic rock artist so you are in luck if they have that interest. Many of them have tabs right under the actual music so you could learn both once the interest is attained.

Also, if you have Xbox there is a guitar game called rocksmith. It lets you hook your electric guitar to your console and learn popular songs. Pretty entertaining and you will gain dexterity as it scores you as you play and increases the difficulty automatically. I bet there is an app for that too, maybe even for bass.

RCflyer

I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and bass for over 25 and I recommend lessons from a music instructor but if He or She wants to learn from a book, I recommend the Hal Leonard Guitar and or Bass Method series books. The beginner pack is a good deal and is easy to learn from. A lot of instructors use those books as an aid for teaching students both guitar and bass. Here are the links,
Guitar - http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?menuid=3604&seriesfeature=&subsiteid=7
Bass - http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?menuid=499&seriesfeature=BSMTHD&subsiteid=7

Also, If I'm not mistaking, Hot Licks usually gives 2 free lessons with either a guitar or bass purchase.

Last edited:
I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and bass for over 25 and I recommend lessons from a music instructor but if He or She wants to learn from a book, I recommend the Hal Leonard Guitar and or Bass Method series books. The beginner pack is a good deal and is easy to learn from. A lot of instructors use those books as an aid for teaching students both guitar and bass. Here are the links,
Guitar - http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?menuid=3604&seriesfeature=&subsiteid=7
Bass - http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?menuid=499&seriesfeature=BSMTHD&subsiteid=7

Also, If I'm not mistaking, Hot Licks usually gives 2 free lessons with either a guitar or bass purchase.

As it turns out, they have the Hal Leonard book for guitars rather than bass. At that's what they seem interested in now.

We don't need to buy them a guitar or bass just yet, we have some they can use for a while until (hoping they remain interested long enough) they get a better sense of what they'd want for themselves. I'll keep Hot Licks in mind if we do end up buying something. That's where I bought my bass a hundred years ago.

One more question, what type of music is He / She wanting to play?

They seem to prefer the rock genre (broadly defined), and appreciate stuff going back to the 70's up through the stuff that's currently being released - stuff that's a bit more edgy more so than the pop-ier stuff.

yep, its a lot like teaching kid to fish. You want them to be able to catch something before they get bored.

As for songs, you can get books for just about every classic rock artist so you are in luck if they have that interest. Many of them have tabs right under the actual music so you could learn both once the interest is attained.

Also, if you have Xbox there is a guitar game called rocksmith. It lets you hook your electric guitar to your console and learn popular songs. Pretty entertaining and you will gain dexterity as it scores you as you play and increases the difficulty automatically. I bet there is an app for that too, maybe even for bass.

I actually have Rocksmith, though it had only been used a couple times before just recently. It turns out that that is working out pretty well, they've been using it and it seems to be increasing (or solidifying) their interest. At some point a professional teacher will probably make sense, but for now the most important thing is cultivating a lasting interest and enthusiasm.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I found this app: http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/ios/

I haven't yet been able to assess how accurate it is, but it seems pretty cool and the interface is good.

Me want! Very kewl!

However, that is NOT a tool for a beginner. It would be a great tool for an experience musician to HELP a beginner with but, at first glance, it's gonna take some time for an experienced PRO to learn how to use it let alone someone just stating out in music.

Me want! Very kewl!

However, that is NOT a tool for a beginner. It would be a great tool for an experience musician to HELP a beginner with but, at first glance, it's gonna take some time for an experienced PRO to learn how to use it let alone someone just stating out in music.

Pfft... I've already mastered the entire Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Who, and the Gratetful Dead collections.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Pfft... I've already mastered the entire Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Who, and the Gratetful Dead collections.

Oh, so, you're one of those "I have a friend who wants to learn bass..." when in fact you mean "I want to learn bass..." eh????