Beretta leaving MD

officeguy

I doubt that they will go anywhere. What they do is precision manufacturing catering to customers who will quickly abandon you if you have a quality problem. Packing up and re-establishing their processes at a new location with untrained employees like in FL or TX would kill their business.

They are just making noise so they can get an exemption under the law.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I doubt that they will go anywhere. What they do is precision manufacturing catering to customers who will quickly abandon you if you have a quality problem. Packing up and re-establishing their processes at a new location with untrained employees like in FL or TX would kill their business.

Bushmaster did it.. it's not as difficult as one would think (I think) the only issue would be they'd have to, at one point, have two factories up and running at the same time to keep up with production.

They can't shut down one, then open the other.. they have to ramp up at one while slowing down at the other.

But how far can they go and keep the majoritynof their workforce? Working with them and as specialized as the work is I think I would move with them... .

officeguy

Bushmaster did it.. it's not as difficult as one would think (I think) the only issue would be they'd have to, at one point, have two factories up and running at the same time to keep up with production.

My understanding of bushmaster is that they moved their hq to NC but maintained production in Maine and NY. At some point they did shut down their ME plant.

But how far can they go and keep the majoritynof their workforce? Working with them and as specialized as the work is I think I would move with them... .

If they wanted to keep their Accokeek workforce, the only place they could really move to would be somewhere in NoVa. Given the cost to do business in that area, I doubt that this would make sense on a dollars and cents basis. Now, if they decided to move the whole thing, I would expect them to go all the way to some place like FL, TX or MS.

Inkd

My understanding of bushmaster is that they moved their hq to NC but maintained production in Maine and NY. At some point they did shut down their ME plant.

If they wanted to keep their Accokeek workforce, the only place they could really move to would be somewhere in NoVa. Given the cost to do business in that area, I doubt that this would make sense on a dollars and cents basis. Now, if they decided to move the whole thing, I would expect them to go all the way to some place like FL, TX or MS.

I'm pretty sure when CEREBUS bought out Bushmaster, they moved them to Ilion, New York since CEREBUS owned Remington. That way the main changes was to include new tooling to a plant that already produced firearms.

Bushmaster kept a small contingent back in Maine to keep up with production until the new plant could get fully online.

Bushmaster's former owner signed a 10 year no compete clause when he sold the company. That 10 years is now up and he started up Windham Weaponry in the old plant Bushmaster was in.

officeguy

I'm pretty sure when CEREBUS bought out Bushmaster, they moved them to Ilion, New York since CEREBUS owned Remington. That way the main changes was to include new tooling to a plant that already produced firearms.

That sounds about right. Moving that kind of a process into a plant that already has the skilled machinists is certainly doable. Moving an entire production operation to a place where you have to train your staff from scratch has frequently caused a lot of disruption and quality problems. If they in fact pull up their stakes in Accokeek and move south, only a fraction of their employees will move with them. This is different from the transient contractor crowd that works around PAX.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Where are all the liberal loons to tell us this is really good news and this will actually add thousands of jobs to the MD economy?

Didn't this county, where I assume most of these employees live, vote > 90% Dem?

Get what they deserve..

Oh wait.. somehow this will be the Republicans idea and in turn their fault.

I just dont understand. This is a free country. If you are not happy in Maryland, why are you still here ? Dont give me the job excuse, because Maryland is not the only state with a job.

:coffee:

bcp

In My Opinion
I just dont understand. This is a free country. If you are not happy in Maryland, why are you still here ? Dont give me the job excuse, because Maryland is not the only state with a job.

not everyone is counting on the gubmint to care for them when they retire, some actually have saved for it and are also counting on retirement payments in order to survive independent of the nanny state.
Does it make more sense to hang around suffering for 7 or so more years, or does it make more sense to leave now and give up all the retirement outside of personal investments.

Not everyone can just pack up and leave.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Companies like Barretta relocate all the time. These days, such a move is typically managed to incorporated improvements to plant and process at the same time.

laynpipe

not everyone is counting on the gubmint to care for them when they retire, some actually have saved for it and are also counting on retirement payments in order to survive independent of the nanny state.
Does it make more sense to hang around suffering for 7 or so more years, or does it make more sense to leave now and give up all the retirement outside of personal investments.

Not everyone can just pack up and leave.

All I keep hearing are excuses. Same still applies now matter what the excuse is. Dont like it here.....leave. Believe me, nobody's going to shed a tear when you walk out that door.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All I keep hearing are excuses. Same still applies now matter what the excuse is. Dont like it here.....leave. Believe me, nobody's going to shed a tear when you walk out that door.

That's working out reall well for places like California. :buddies:

bcp

In My Opinion

All the more proof that you dont work.

makes no sense to up and leave just a few years shy of a full retirement.

But you can bet your ass that on March 6 2020, I will be leaving the state for good.

laynpipe

You really think I dont work ?? :killingme:killingme

There is an old saying.... "If your not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem". Spreading your philosophy on a message board is not getting anything accomplished except making you look like a complainer. You want to change Maryland so its better for you, then do something constructive to try and make that happen. Get behind your candidates, knock on doors, run some phone banks, start some petitions. Show some gumption. If your not willing to do that, then leave my state alone. It works just fine for some of us :buddies:

It still comes down to one thing....... If you dont like it here. Leave. I'm sorry but as a life long resident, thats just how I feel.

bcp

In My Opinion
If you dont like it here. Leave. I'm sorry but as a life long resident, thats just how I feel.

Im sure its working for you, more every day as your entitlements get bigger.

but, being a life long resident gives you more say than someone that might not have been born and raised here?
really?

laynpipe

Entitlements ? That would be extremly hard for me to do on my salary. Nice try.

Sh!t or get off the pot buddy. Back to the same story. Dont like Maryland. Leave.

bcp

In My Opinion
Entitlements ? That would be extremly hard for me to do on my salary. Nice try.

Sh!t or get off the pot buddy. Back to the same story. Dont like Maryland. Leave.

another person that cant comprehend what he reads.

I would much rather complete my last 7 years, then move on with a retirement paid from basically state funds, that way, I take money out, but I dont put anything back in.
Seems perfectly fair to me.