Best option(s) for having an elderly dog put down at home rather than vet?

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Why would you say such an awful thing? Just wondering. Sometimes I don't get what you call humor.

I was curious is all...

I knew a retired Warrant Officer a few years ago who told me his buddy was so torn up about his sick dog and how much they were going to charge him to put her down that he offered to shoot her. Sort of like “Of Mice and Men”. His buddy agreed and the Warrant took her on her final walk. The problem ended up being, his name got around and people started to contact him for his services.

ginwoman

Why would you say such an awful thing? Just wondering. Sometimes I don't get what you call humor.

Anyway, we had our first dog, Cookie, put down at PF Animal Hospital. They, actually, have a room to put you in when saying good bye to your furry lovie, and are very caring about the animal and the owner's trauma of it all. They ask if you want to be there when the injection is done. With Cookie it was sudden. One minute she had just been outside, and next minute she couldn't walk and was dragging herself across the floor. So, we threw her in the car and rushed her to PF. It was a whirlwind and very sad. The second time it was time, I called Dr. Darnell to come to our home, so it would not be so traumatizing. Oreo had all of a sudden started bleeding from her mouth. I knew that was not good. It is always sad because we know that our pets depend on us. Info below about Dr. Darnell. Hang in pet lovers. We love them, but know when it is time. :huggy:

One more thing: When Dr. Darnell came to the house to put our lab, Oreo, down, she asked me what Oreo's favorite food was. I told her chicken. She had me hand feed her chicken once the injection was done. Oreo left this world eating her favorite thing with me holding her head in my arms. It is sad, I know, and it is hard to be at the spot in the kitchen where she passed, but I know she was happy. Hope this helps.

http://darnellsmobilevet.com/

Please support your local animal shelter. That is where Cookie and Oreo came from. Thanks. We had both dogs for 14 years.

Thanks so much for the info and the link littlelady

littlelady

God bless the USA
I was curious is all...

I knew a retired Warrant Officer a few years ago who told me his buddy was so torn up about his sick dog and how much they were going to charge him to put her down that he offered to shoot her. Sort of like “Of Mice and Men”. His buddy agreed and the Warrant took her on her final walk. The problem ended up being, his name got around and people started to contact him for his services.

I know. I was getting nostalgic and sad about my dogs, and miss them so much. Even though, I know the shooting of domestic animals happens on farms and such; like horses, etc. If the shot is right, there is no pain. Sometimes, words on a forum are interpreted differently than the poster intended, or the reader took them. Sorry. :buddies:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I am up listening to the election stuff. I noticed that Roman recommended Dr. Darnell in this thread before I did. But, I, obiviously, second her recommendation. I was just thinking about y'all, and how it was going with dealing with the passing of your furry friends. I cleaned my hub's office today where we have the wooden boxes of our pets that have passed. I got sad, but I know such is life. That's all. I was just thinking. :huggy:

Last edited: