Best places to practice driving for extremely fearful teen

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'm not trying to sound mean, but I'm sure that that is exactly how it will come out.

Oh well. :ohwell:

If your daughter is that fearful of driving on the roads, I'm glad that she's not driving yet. Her fear and phobia is an endangerment to other drivers on the road. And we already have a crap-ton of reckless drivers on the road, and we don't need any more.

PLEASE don't let her drive.

gemini5715

My daughter is 32 and has no desire to get her license. She did go thru driving school in her early 20's, but never took the test to get her license. She tenses up every time I suggest she try for her permit. I am not going to force it. If she is more comfortable taking STS, then so be it. I would rather have her take STS than be fearful every time she gets behind the wheel to drive somewhere. (and there is no insurance increase because of her driving)

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I used to get anxious when I was driving too. I found that taking deep breathes while closing my eyes gave me a sense of peace.

It sure seemed to scare the sh!t out of the kids on the school bus though.

:ohwell:

Last edited:

Smith

I concur with the others who have said that if she is that terrified to drive, then she really shouldn't be driving - both for her mental well-being and overall public safety. It's just not a good idea any way you slice it, until she has overcome her fears. Have you thought of trying hypnotherapy?

Many major metropolitan areas have public transportation options, not just DC. But if personal transportation is a requirement, would she feel more comfortable on a scooter? Sure it doesn't offer the same protection from the elements (and traffic) as a car would, but it might be less intimidating to her.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm not trying to sound mean, but I'm sure that that is exactly how it will come out.

Oh well. :ohwell:

If your daughter is that fearful of driving on the roads, I'm glad that she's not driving yet. Her fear and phobia is an endangerment to other drivers on the road. And we already have a crap-ton of reckless drivers on the road, and we don't need any more.

PLEASE don't let her drive.

As someone before you said, treat the phobia first, throwing someone who is afraid to swim into the water does not teach them how to swim, only how to drown.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
But it has been brought up that she needs "exposure therapy" and they wanted her to try in isolated places.

My dad did that with us. When he tried to drown us, at least the slower among us, we became terrified. His solution was to drag us back out there and learn to sink or swim.

If we swam, then he'd sink us knowing that when he left us go, we'd be fine.

Immersion therapy.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but could you possibly arrange for a therapist to ride with her on a few outings? The "exposure therapy" the doc recommends is very basic CBT, A highly proven method for ridding yourself of phobias. It is more powerful than any drug treatment for anxiety and fears. Just exposing yourself repeatedly CAN work, but it can also be stressful and without the right frame of mind, can make things worse. A few rides with a therapist (im sure they would be willing to hop in the car for some good old fashioned CBT) who can talk her through her thought process and teach her ways to cope would likely have some pretty miraculous results. No need to go it alone.

The swim/drown example really isn't the best one, lol. CBT and exposure works because the stress response people have can only be felt for so long, so if you "ride out" the stress response (which is very real and very strong) and see that nothing bad happened, the response lessens until it goes away. Generally it is done in stages. Ie, sitting behind the wheel, then driving slowly, then driving slowly alone with no one in the car, then on a moderately travelled street all the way up to highway etc. It totally does work, its a matter of biology and a little bit of dedication on the person's part. I have seen some very intense phobia's pretty much cured within a relatively short amount of time. Biggest key I think is having the person understand that they will feel the discomfort and it cannot be avoided. As soon as they feel it lessening, even when faced with their fear, it switches on lightbulbs for folks that thought previously that it couldn't POSSIBLY let up it was too strong.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but could you possibly arrange for a therapist to ride with her on a few outings? The "exposure therapy" the doc recommends is very basic CBT, A highly proven method for ridding yourself of phobias. It is more powerful than any drug treatment for anxiety and fears. Just exposing yourself repeatedly CAN work, but it can also be stressful and without the right frame of mind, can make things worse. A few rides with a therapist (im sure they would be willing to hop in the car for some good old fashioned CBT) who can talk her through her thought process and teach her ways to cope would likely have some pretty miraculous results. No need to go it alone.

The swim/drown example really isn't the best one, lol. CBT and exposure works because the stress response people have can only be felt for so long, so if you "ride out" the stress response (which is very real and very strong) and see that nothing bad happened, the response lessens until it goes away. Generally it is done in stages. Ie, sitting behind the wheel, then driving slowly, then driving slowly alone with no one in the car, then on a moderately travelled street all the way up to highway etc. It totally does work, its a matter of biology and a little bit of dedication on the person's part. I have seen some very intense phobia's pretty much cured within a relatively short amount of time. Biggest key I think is having the person understand that they will feel the discomfort and it cannot be avoided. As soon as they feel it lessening, even when faced with their fear, it switches on lightbulbs for folks that thought previously that it couldn't POSSIBLY let up it was too strong.

So, you think to conquer a person's; say.....fear of heights; the best remedy is to go to the top of the highest building/mtn. etc.; or to go skydiving? Speaking as an acrophobic myself, I would be VEEERRRY hesitant.

With regard to the fear of driving; it'll happen. Just find a parking lot with nobody around or anything to hit and give it a try.

Last edited:
What are you doing?

I need to take my daughter to practice driving today,but she is a VERY nervous driver. Crying,panic attacks,the works. She witnessed an extremely bad and graphic accident and has been fearful ever since. Driving instructor references who are good with this situation would help too.

"Elavil can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions", from Drugs.com.

You admit your daughter has panic attacks, which is not a good thing to have happen to anyone while driving, let alone a new, young driver while on the road. Then to say she is taking an anti-depressant, which by your post, indicates she will be on while driving, is extremely irresponsible. Please, please do not put your daughter on the road driving a car while she is suffering from her crisis. She, and the other people using the roads, do not need to be put in further jeopardy.

Hope she gets the help she needs.

gretchen

"Elavil can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions", from Drugs.com.

You admit your daughter has panic attacks, which is not a good thing to have happen to anyone while driving, let alone a new, young driver while on the road. Then to say she is taking an anti-depressant, which by your post, indicates she will be on while driving, is extremely irresponsible. Please, please do not put your daughter on the road driving a car while she is suffering from her crisis. She, and the other people using the roads, do not need to be put in further jeopardy.

Hope she gets the help she needs.

You have a very simplistic and naive way of thinking. Do you seriously believe most drivers are not on blood pressure medications?antidepressants?allergy meds? I would venture to say at least 60% are. Ever taken cold medicine? Hope you didn't drive to work. My daughter isn't "suffering a crisis". She is afraid to drive and has panic attacks. Not standing on a rooftop with an Uzi. And I asked for isolated places. My god...get a grip.

gretchen

I love all of this and it's a great idea to drive with the therapist. Working on it!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I need to take my daughter to practice driving today,but she is a VERY nervous driver. Crying,panic attacks,the works. She witnessed an extremely bad and graphic accident and has been fearful ever since. Driving instructor references who are good with this situation would help too.

Pax after 6 PM

Smith

Patuxent Elementary school was the most isolated place I could find when I first started to get my daughter acquainted with driving a car. The parking lot is small and has some islands to navigate around. But the best part is the isolation - the parking lot is not visible from any road so there are no other cars in sight to be a distraction. Pick a time when the school is closed and you could have the place to yourself. When we went it was during a spring break, but a Sunday should work too.

If you have more than one vehicle, choose the smallest, lest intimidating one, and if it has the shifter and parking brake on the console that would be a plus. If things go wrong you could shift into neutral and apply the parking brake to stop the car.

gretchen

Patuxent Elementary school was the most isolated place I could find when I first started to get my daughter acquainted with driving a car. The parking lot is small and has some islands to navigate around. But the best part is the isolation - the parking lot is not visible from any road so there are no other cars in sight to be a distraction. Pick a time when the school is closed and you could have the place to yourself. When we went it was during a spring break, but a Sunday should work too.

If you have more than one vehicle, choose the smallest, lest intimidating one, and if it has the shifter and parking brake on the console that would be a plus. If things go wrong you could shift into neutral and apply the parking brake to stop the car.

I never thought about going to Calvert. We are in St.Marys. But that is a good idea,and we'll try it out. Thanks!

You have a very simplistic and naive way of thinking. Do you seriously believe most drivers are not on blood pressure medications?antidepressants?allergy meds? I would venture to say at least 60% are. Ever taken cold medicine? Hope you didn't drive to work. My daughter isn't "suffering a crisis". She is afraid to drive and has panic attacks. Not standing on a rooftop with an Uzi. And I asked for isolated places. My god...get a grip.

Uh, putting a new, young driver who takes anti-depressants for anxiety attacks on the road, IS a crisis! Sorry you can't recognize that! And yes, there are many drivers who do operate a vehicle while medicated with mind-altering drugs. That doesn't make it OK for them to do it. Sorry to bust your bubble.