Beware! Leftists in our schools!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
ST, don't be an azz. Of course it would be inappropriate to deliver a pro-war speech. There's a big difference between patriotism and politics.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
ST, don't be an azz. Of course it would be inappropriate to deliver a pro-war speech. There's a big difference between patriotism and politics.

So if your daughter was there giving a pro-war speech, you would have booed?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by smcdem
Back up, can someone tell me when being anti-war is being anti-america?
The diatribe was both anti-war AND anti-American. Some things are one or the other, this one was both.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
So if your daughter was there giving a pro-war speech, you would have booed?
My daughter wouldn't have done that, nor should the teacher have let her. But no, I wouldn't have booed if the kids took a position I agreed with, but I'd have still been outraged and called the principal to complain.

I'm not the hypocrite around here *ahem* :bubble:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I personally wouldn't boo the kids. I would however contact the principal, school board (which sucks and is one reason I'm trying to leave STM) and the media if necessary. The teach had no right to push her viewpoint on the kids, even if they are teens, and she should be called on the carpet and possibly fired. Of course, with tenure and unions that won't happen!

Teachers in public schools have no right to push their views on the kids no matter whether left or right, that is up to the parents to alienate them and peer pressure to influence them.:eek:

I would be right up there with you ragging on this teacher, historically it is the right wanting to push its agenda, but either way it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I remember in 8th grade when all the kids were wearing some type of christian button in school, i was the only one not to, (a rebel-woohoo), but the teacher even made a point of it. Lost all respect for authority then and haven't gotten it back. That was also the year I wore a HHH (Humphrey) button to school.

I am with you on this one and would grab that teach by the 'nads and make a point.

SmallTown

Football season!
My daughter wouldn't have done that, nor should the teacher have let her. But no, I wouldn't have booed if the kids took a position I agreed with, but I'd have still been outraged and called the principal to complain.

I'm not the hypocrite around here *ahem* :bubble:

uh huh :biggrin:

I've got to get up your way and have a couple of drinks with you. I think we could have some pretty interesting conversations :smile:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown
She didn't "use" them. The 10 agreed to it.
Did she ask for volunteers? NO! A vote was taken. Usually this decides a yay or nay on the general idea. She could've dropped it after being out-voted. But she still decided to go ahead with it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thank you, Jlab - YOU understand where I'm coming from on this, even though we're far apart politically. And the boo wasn't directed at the kids - it was directed at the teacher. If the kids thought it was directed at them, oh well.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Hey, I've got a 5 & 2 yr old and it is MY job to screw them up for life, not some teacher's.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Sharon
Did she ask for volunteers? NO! A vote was taken. Usually this decides a yay or nay on the general idea. She could've dropped it after being out-voted. But she still decided to go ahead with it.

Was it a vote to see if the group should do it or not, or asking who wanted to do it?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by smcdem
Vrai, If your so upset about this call the ACLU's Student Rights division. Haha:biggrin:

Do it! that would take b*lls, what would the ACLU do? They would have to support you, since the school via the teacher was forcing political beliefs on children.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by bluto
I don't have any problem booing children. The sooner they learn mommy and daddy have been lying to them about how special they are and they find out they are actually 'special', the better!

Bluto I'm sure you were "special" as a child.

Vince

she already knows she's going to pay for that little bit of activism.

She should pay. She should be fired for using children to put out her own political agenda.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Two things:

First, I don't want to shut down the Theater Arts program or sue the school or sic the ACLU on them (good Lord!). We're having budget problems as it is so I can't see the logic in siphoning money out of them. What I want is for the teacher to be formally reprimanded and to give a written apology to the students and parents. I don't even care to have the teacher fired - if she gets gone, that's the end of the TA program until they can find a replacement. And I ALWAYS think about what's in it for me before I go off on someone.

Second, how many of the kids knew what they were talking about? More than you'd think.

One of the girls who did the protest is my daughter's best friend. She's hooked up with some college girl (friend of the family) who's filling her head with all this "Blood for Oil" garbage. So she's been going off for weeks about this. Certainly any "views" a kid that age has about politics is just parroting what they've heard someone else say. But they are aware of what's going on.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
The anti-war agenda is also being pushed by a Leonardtown Middle School Social Studies teacher who made the statement that she would "never allow George Bush into MY classroom." This is wrong on two fronts.

It would seem that it's the taxpayers classroom first of all (unless there's some rental agreement that I don't know about.) Surely, this isn't the first thing this woman has said in OUR classroom, to promote her agenda without a basis in fact.

Secondly, I don't think children should be taught to disrespect people they disagree with.

So, bringing this home, how much is the teacher discredited when you tell your child that if this woman said that in Iraq about Saddam Hussein, she would be raped, tortured and jailed, or killed. Or worse, one of her family members would pay that price for her words. The teacher then looks like a fool to this child, when she should have focused on teaching her class and not pushing her agenda.

Memo to St. Mary's County Board of Education: It's called HISTORY! Spare me the social studies. That's something you do when you people-watch at the mall! Children need to learn history.

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Two things:

Certainly any "views" a kid that age has about politics is just parroting what they've heard someone else say. But they are aware of what's going on.

A find adults doing that all the time :rolleyes:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Vrai, have you considered taking the matter to the superintendent or the school board? Although a peace protest isn't necessarily anti-American, what you described definitely fit that description. Teachers shouldn't use students to push their own agendas. I've seen it done for both lefty and righty causes. There's a difference between encouraging students to form their own opinions and pushing one's own opinion on them.