BGE bills

ohkymd

Hi we are moving into a 1400 square foot home that has a 13 seer heat pump and everything in the home is electric. I am just wondering what other people are paying for their electricity a month. When I talked to BGE they said the previous renters were paying 310 a month which seems kinda high to me but I'm not from Maryland so I don't know. They also said I could choose to have another company purchase my electricity for me does anyone have any suggestions or is it all about the same?

Thank you

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Hi we are moving into a 1400 square foot home that has a 13 seer heat pump and everything in the home is electric. I am just wondering what other people are paying for their electricity a month. When I talked to BGE they said the previous renters were paying 310 a month which seems kinda high to me but I'm not from Maryland so I don't know. They also said I could choose to have another company purchase my electricity for me does anyone have any suggestions or is it all about the same?

Thank you

Seems kinda low to me.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
All electric homes can be expensive, especially in the winter months. Past threads on here have people reporting their electric bills in excess of $500, and even $700 dollars.

Is the house a newer home or older? That may make a difference in your bills.

ohkymd

I should clarify that it is just gonna be my wife and I and we will both be working. We would probably keep it pretty low like 68 degrees in the winter and 75 in the summer. Right now we have almost the exact same setup and we are paying 130 a month and that is on levelized billing.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Thank you

Heat pumps are just one step up from baseboard heat IMO. Just like baseboard heat; the heatpumps with the integrated electric heater operate a lot like baseboard. They BOTH make the meter spin like a top. Heat pumps are only FULLY efficient if you have an external heat source like a fireplace or woodstove. They work better as heat distributors; ot heat producers.

ohkymd

The house was built in the 40s but we saw that they had reinstalled new insulation into the home.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Thank you
That sounds high. I have a 2500 sq. ft. home. Installed a 16 seer unit 2 years ago. Bills are all under $180.00 in the winter & average $70.00 during the summer. I'm on the even monthly payment plan of $108.00/month. I have a $255.00 credit now and my bill this month was $54.00.

Heat pumps are just one step up from baseboard heat IMO. Just like baseboard heat; the heatpumps with the integrated electric heater operate a lot like baseboard. They BOTH make the meter spin like a top. Heat pumps are only FULLY efficient if you have an external heat source like a fireplace or woodstove. They work better as heat distributors; ot heat producers.
Not true. :nono: Heat pumps are very economical when installed and maintained properly.

Electric baseboard is the worst heat you can have.

MISTYM1223

Thank you

Our house is 3,000 square feet, 4 years old with a heat pump and our bills our anywhere from $400-$600 per month in the winter.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

Thank you

We have SMECO and for a 3300 SF (finished basement included!) we use monthly average billpay and pay $327. Everything is electric too! $310 seems kind of high but then again many other factors may fit into that quote you received like Insulation, air leaks, high wattage bulbs, bad discipline on turning stuff off when not in use!

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
We just bought a 2200 sq ft home in March. BGE told us previous owner's average was $270-300something a month. Our most expensive was $204 during the summer rates when our A/C compressor wasn't working, so the A/C was running full time. This month's was $100. We have two fridges but a newer washer and dryer. Not sure about winter yet, obviously, but we have a oil furnace any way. I would say that as long as you don't leave every light and TV on all day, yours should be much cheaper than the renter's average.

ohkymd

Just wondering what smeco stands for I am assuming some type of energy coop. Did anyone else use a differt supplier and have BGE as their delivery company? If so how was the experience?

renegadeslave

Obsidian Salamander
Just wondering what smeco stands for I am assuming some type of energy coop. Did anyone else use a differt supplier and have BGE as their delivery company? If so how was the experience?

Southern Maryland Energy Co-Op.

I tried to have SMECO and use BGE as the delivery company but it doesn't work that way apparently. I have heard complaints about BGE but no complaints from us so far.....

Wenchy

Hot Flash
We just bought a 2200 sq ft home in March. BGE told us previous owner's average was $270-300something a month. Our most expensive was $204 during the summer rates when our A/C compressor wasn't working, so the A/C was running full time. This month's was $100. We have two fridges but a newer washer and dryer. Not sure about winter yet, obviously, but we have a oil furnace any way. I would say that as long as you don't leave every light and TV on all day, yours should be much cheaper than the renter's average.

Winter is when they get you. You have an oil furnace and shouldn't be posting in an all electric home thread. :razz:

Anyway, 1500 square foot, poorly insulated, baseboard heat home built in 1969 here. :howdy:

We have SMECO.

Average for us is $300/month. The only advantage to baseboard heat is we can turn them off in rooms not being used.

We bought two oil filled portable radiators last month and will see if this will be better than the baseboard in the common living areas.

I had a heat pump prior to this home and the cost was about the same (same size house but much newer and better insulation) The company was Delmarva Power, and the rates were probably different.

Crazy when the electric bill is more than your monthly mortgage payment.

nicole_M

That sounds high. I have a 2500 sq. ft. home. Installed a 16 seer unit 2 years ago. Bills are all under $180.00 in the winter & average $70.00 during the summer. I'm on the even monthly payment plan of $108.00/month. I have a $255.00 credit now and my bill this month was $54.00.

Not true. :nono: Heat pumps are very economical when installed and maintained properly.

Electric baseboard is the worst heat you can have.

:yeahthat:

We have 2400 sq. ft w/ electric baseboard. One bill last winter was $741. No less than $400/month during the Winter.

Justme2

Heat pump

We use fan force portable room heaters and DO NOT turn the heat pump on UNLESS you have too. Don't really know that much about them But I can tell you this. The heat pumps donot work well set above 72 degrees the run and run and run at least this unit does and it only about 4 years old. It can run a 500.00 a month bill easy in the winter. And in the summer months it electric cost about 300.00 a month to run. Get the enegry saving bulbs for all the lights. Turn off things that are not being used. if you don't have big dinners to make get a decent toaster oven big enough to make pizza.

Last edited:
G

Gemmi

We live in a split foyer with a finished basement. The sq. footage is a little over 2000 ft. total. We have one heat pump for the entire house. The stove and hot water heater are all electric. We keep the thermostat down pretty low in the winter(62) and sometimes use an electric space heater when it is really cold. We have BGE and our bill is never over $200.00 in the winter or the summer when the central air is on.

ohkymd

Thank you for everyone's replies. I just thought it was odd because we live in an all electric home in Kentucky right now which is about 1100 squ feet and on even billing I am at 130 a month. I'm not sure what the difference in utility rates are between ky and md but I just didn't think they were that much different although there are a lot of variables that go into it as well I know. What I'm really wondering now is whether anyone has used a different supplier for their electricity than BGE and how did it work out for you. BGE lists several different companies you can use instead but I am kinda worried because most of them make you sign a one year contract to lock in your rate.