Big head

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by RoseRed
She was in trouble when I picked up my chicklet yesterday afternoon. Having a rough day as Miss T put it. :lol:

Yep, you've got it!! Quite a few 'rough days' lately. :rolleyes:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by ememdee19
Ha!

Since birth, my daughter has always been in the 95-98th percentile in every category. By no means is she a rolie polie, just tall and muscular. She'll be turning 3 in August and she wears a size 5T and a size 9 shoe! :yikes:
I started to post my kids' shoe sizes, but then MM will start in on my big feet again. :ohwell: Let's just say, clothing wise, my kids all wear their age, except baby is a little small. Baby is 13 months and can wear some 6 mo stuff, but mostly 12 mo clothes.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by BIGtimer
always asks if she can change his diaper:smile:

This is where M draws the line. She has informed me SEVERAL times that she won't change diapers because it's a mommy's job, and is 'really gross'. :lol:

BIGtimer

Originally posted by PFgal
This is where M draws the line. She has informed me SEVERAL times that she won't change diapers because it's a mommy's job, and is 'really gross'. :lol:
She says she'll change the wet ones but no stinkys:smile:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by Sneezy
how many times have i told you.............never trust a woman who sticks a beer bottle in her belly button and calls it jewelry. :dork:

That was my GF, you doof!

Only to be prudent...

Keep an eye on the children with the larger heads.

Often times it can be an indication of autism or encephalitis.

BIGtimer

Re: Only to be prudent...

Originally posted by justin anemone

Nice...Hes doing great and hes very smart:smile:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Only to be prudent...

Originally posted by justin anemone

Is it true that you can't really detect that your child is autistic until they are about 2 or 3?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Only to be prudent...

Originally posted by Ehesef
Is it true that you can't really detect that your child is autistic until they are about 2 or 3?

My neighbor's son is autistic, and it was not realized in him until 18 mos. old. Not sure if that timeframe is normal, though. :shrug:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

No, that's a myth. I've read a number of articles where they knew there was something different about their child when they were only a few months old.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love

I just had a lecture on this in my class last week. Most parents/doctors start noticing signs of autism typically around 15 months. As they learn more and more about it, they can detect it earlier and earlier. But a lot of doctors still aren't up on the latest research. Plus, it's not something a doctor will really notice, like a parent will, if they know what to look for.

For an example...An 8 mo old child should be able to look at something that interests them, then look back at a caregiver as if to say, "do you see that?" or "what's that?" There is no pointing involved here, just looking back and forth. Autistic children don't do this.

Now, I have 3 kids and I couldn't tell you if they did this, at least not at 8 mo old. I never knew it was something to look for. :shrug:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Re: Re: Only to be prudent...

Originally posted by jazz lady
No, that's a myth. I've read a number of articles where they knew there was something different about their child when they were only a few months old.
Hmm. I guess it would show pretty early on, because the kiddo wouldn't smile, giggle, coo as much? Is that right? I don't know a whole lot about autism...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Only to be prudent...

Hmm. I guess it would show pretty early on, because the kiddo wouldn't smile, giggle, coo as much? Is that right? I don't know a whole lot about autism...

From
http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=autismdiagnosis

The characteristic behaviors of autism spectrum disorders may or may not be apparent in infancy (18 to 24 months), but usually become obvious during early childhood (24 months to 6 years).

As part of a well-baby/well-child visit, your child's doctor should do a "developmental screening" asking specific questions about your baby's progress. The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) lists these five behaviors that signal further evaluation is warranted:

Does not babble or coo by 12 months
Does not gesture (point, wave, grasp) by 12 months
Does not say single words by 16 months
Does not say two-word phrases on his or her own by 24 months
Has any loss of any language or social skill at any age.

It looks like a lot of the symptoms are there at a very young age.

I wasn't trying to be negative; I said "to be prudent".

Sorry if it came off that way.

For some yet unexplained reason, there is a higher incidence of autism in southern maryland than the state or even national average. While simplistic, an overly large head can be a sign that warrants further investigation.

Regardless of when indications are first noted, the earlier that adjustments are made in the child's lifestyle, even diet, the better it is for the child.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Only to be prudent...

My mom knew there was something wrong with my brother (Severly Autistic) right away. He wouldn't make eye contact at all.

And, just in case you're worried, I work with some autistic children who are more adorable than many so-called "normal" kids.
Sometimes they steal your heart away...

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Only to be prudent...

Originally posted by CMC122
My mom knew there was something wrong with my brother (Severly Autistic) right away. He wouldn't make eye contact at all.

Matt Savage, the 11-year-old jazz music phenom, is autistic. His mom said he couldn't tolerate most noises even when he was a baby. She said she couldn't even talk while he was nursing, so it showed up VERY early. He also wouldn't tolerate physical contact like hugs and kisses. But with the right therapy, he overcome most of it. :yay:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Only to be prudent...

Matt Savage, the 11-year-old jazz music phenom, is autistic. His mom said he couldn't tolerate most noises even when he was a baby. She said she couldn't even talk while he was nursing, so it showed up VERY early. He also wouldn't tolerate physical contact like hugs and kisses. But with the right therapy, he overcome most of it. :yay:
There are some incredible Autisic people in this world. There is actually a young man from India (I believe) who was diagnosed when he was 1 or 2. The doctor's told his mom to not even bother with him......She basically said screw you just taught him everything she possibly could. He can now write and communicate his thought's and what it feels like to be autistic. It is amazing. They both work at an Autism school in CA teaching other children.

My brother will be 20 next week. We still have to wisper in the house and not make any noise. He loves school but he will be done next year and they need to find him a structured group home facility. He has one down fall that he can get very violent. He usually only attacks my Mom but it can get very scary because you can never tell what kind of a mood he's in.

It was hard to explain him when we were young. Not many people really knew what Autism was. Since he looks normal people would comment on his behavior or give looks. It was hard because you couldn't get people to understand what was wrong with him. I lashed out at quite a few people. As unfortunate as it is, it's nice to see that so many people know and understand this more now.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Only to be prudent...

But with the right therapy, he overcome most of it. :yay:

I shouldn't, but I cannot resist. I GOTCHA!!!! :neener:

Did you mean to say, "But with the right therapy, he's overcome most of it."

OR

"But with the right therapy, he overcame most of it."

Don't hurt me...:lol:

OR...better yet...

"But with the right therapy, he done overcome most of it." :lol:

...Don't hurt me...:lmao: