Blockers in left lane....have a ticket.

Should Maryland have a "Keep Right Law"

• Left lane for passing or turning left

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Keep right if going slower than traffic flow regardless of speed limit or when being overtaken

Votes: 46 48.4%
  • Keep right if going slower than speed limit

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Mr. Magoo would be proud when he looks in the rear view mirror...

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amused_despair

I agree, it is scary when a police officer and a judge can invent laws that are not on the books and hold citizens guilty of them. If we allow them to do this with something like driving the speed limit in the left lane, what is to stop them from deciding they can enforce non-existent gun control laws, or non-existent freedom of speech laws?

bilbur

:bs:

The article only says the person was driving in the left lane. It doesn’t say she was ‘just cruising holding traffic up’ at all.

As far as I know there is no law in MD that requires you be passing while in the left lane. The article did say the police can use discretion; there is no citing of any law the person violated – at least not in which the cop gave the person the ticket. She WAS speeding. Why didn’t she get a ticket for that?

The judge found her guilty. Guilty of what law? This is what’s called legislating at the bench; judging creating law where they have no authority to do so.

There is a law in MD about holding up traffic in the left lane but it only applies to the roads where there are signs such as slower traffic keep right or something to that effect.

glhs837

Power with Control
That has to be a typo.

No, it it supposed to be telling you that the much talked about "10mph" buffer doesn't really exist, and so you should go exactly the speed limit.

but, heres' the catch in that. those are the number written on the citation. What was the speed displayed on the radar unit? My guess would be that virtually all of them were actually travelling in excess of 10mph over, but the nice officer knocked it back a few mph over.

So, while I know that there is no official 10mph buffer, I also know that a huge majority of officers unofficially use 10mph as the limit over which they will write a ticket, even if that's not what goes on the citation.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
No, it it supposed to be telling you that the much talked about "10mph" buffer doesn't really exist, and so you should go exactly the speed limit.

but, heres' the catch in that. those are the number written on the citation. What was the speed displayed on the radar unit? My guess would be that virtually all of them were actually travelling in excess of 10mph over, but the nice officer knocked it back a few mph over.

So, while I know that there is no official 10mph buffer, I also know that a huge majority of officers unofficially use 10mph as the limit over which they will write a ticket, even if that's not what goes on the citation.
I don't think so considering the next sentence specifically states a ticket issued for only going 4 MPH over 55.
Ahhh.... I misread!! I thought they were ticketed for not going at least 65 in a 55. :stupid: :lol: