Bloom Box

ylexot

Super Genius
This makes me highly sceptical:
"Our system can use fossil fuels like natural gas. Our system can use renewable fuels like landfill gas, bio-gas," Sridhar told Stahl. "We can use solar."
:eyebrow:

Ok, so it's a fuel cell. I guess the big deal is the price?

Low cost, due to low cost parts, nothing exotic used to build it, no platinum, no rare earths or metals, just common metal and components. Power to size ratio is apparently the big selling point, along with the ability to use many different forms of common fuels.

ylexot

Super Genius
I can see that. Use solar to create a charge to separate H2O in to hydrogen and oxygen.

Yeah, but that's the same as all the other fuel cells. :shrug:

Oh, and it would be stupid to do for home use. Use solar to make electricity to make hydrogen to make electricity....ummm :dork:

Yeah, but that's the same as all the other fuel cells. :shrug:

Oh, and it would be stupid to do for home use. Use solar to make electricity to make hydrogen to make electricity....ummm :dork:

Perpetual motion......get the reaction started with solar, then the fuel burns in the cell to produce electricity which creates O2 and H which is burned by the cell to produce electricity which makes O2 and H which.......

I don't see any issues here, do you? :shrug:

:lmao:

ylexot

Super Genius
So, if your lights start to flicker, should you run to the bathroom and take a $hit?

Reminds me of the South Park episode with the IT vehicle.
"IT" can go up to two hundred miles per hour, gets three hundred miles to the gallon, and is an all-around better mode of travel. The only problem is that it is controlled by an uncomfortable method; using four "flexi-grip handles" that somewhat resemble erect penises; two used by the handles, one in the mouth, and a fourth handle which is inserted into the anus.
The Entity (South Park) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:lmao:

this guy was on the news again last night. It still looks like a promising technology, but he said it's still 10 years out for general usage, even tho they have a pretty large base of these already running.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Very interesting article on CBS news right now. The Bloom Box is a small self contained power plant, the core being a 5" x5" cube of varying depth. This one box this small can power a whole house. O2 in, power out. Being tested around the country by major corporations. It's intention is to eliminate the power lines to your house, eliminate centralized power plants. The core is housed in a small shed-like structure about 10' high by 8' square, inventor estimates the cost to be about $3000. Didn't mentoin the costs for O2 supply and such.

Very interesting technology, very promising.
The Bloom Box: An Energy Breakthrough? - 60 Minutes - CBS News

$.08 or so per wk/h

vs. the $.09 many pay now.

Whoop dee effing who.

$.08 or so per wk/h

vs. the $.09 many pay now.

Whoop dee effing who.
As with any new venture or technology, the cost will be high until it is mass produced. Only then can you start to talk about price comparisons. Way to early yet, even with his estimate of $3K for the base system.

Well, first you start the columns like so.....godddamittt!!!!!

:banghead:

:lol:

You need to switch to dry markers...... :lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
As with any new venture or technology, the cost will be high until it is mass produced. Only then can you start to talk about price comparisons. Way to early yet, even with his estimate of $3K for the base system.

You need to switch to dry markers...... :lol:

Look, no one started using candles because it was new and more expensive. No one started using whale oil because it was new and more expensive. No one started using kerosene because it was new and more expensive.

Only now are we proposing to use something because it is new and more expensive. Only in the last generation have we taken something new and LESS expensive, nuke, and MADE it more expensive. Only in the last generation have we MADE oil more expensive.

The www didn't take off because it was new and MORE expensive. It took off when it became economically sensible to do so. That is PERFECT example of government role; infrastructure. Highways, railways, the 'net, space program, military, bridges, etc. The government does NOT do well making cars, trains, guns, or TANG.

When we do things that fly in the face of simple economics, we can't much expect to get off the ground, so to speak. All we need do is look at ethanol, a very new and expensive and stupid idea.

:buddies:

Look, no one started using candles because it was new and more expensive. No one started using whale oil because it was new and more expensive. No one started using kerosene because it was new and more expensive.

You're right. It was done because it was better, cost aside. Better than a fireplace to heat. Better than being in darkness. That's what's happening now, it has the makings of a better system. Uses 1/2 less fuel, which can be by-product waste. It generates no waste products. No nuclear fuel needed. No massive cooling systems changing the ecology of the waterways.

Do you heat the greenhouses with firewood? It's cheaper. No, you heat with fuel oil because it works better, is more convenient, you don't have to be up all night stoking a fire, and you are willing to pay a little more more for that because it's a better way of doing business.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

Only now are we proposing to use something because it is new and more expensive. Only in the last generation have we taken something new and LESS expensive, nuke, and MADE it more expensive. Only in the last generation have we MADE oil more expensive.

The www didn't take off because it was new and MORE expensive. It took off when it became economically sensible to do so. That is PERFECT example of government role; infrastructure. Highways, railways, the 'net, space program, military, bridges, etc. The government does NOT do well making cars, trains, guns, or TANG.

When we do things that fly in the face of simple economics, we can't much expect to get off the ground, so to speak. All we need do is look at ethanol, a very new and expensive and stupid idea.

More posts like this, less posts about Bush. :cheers:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You're right. It was done because it was better, cost aside. Better than a fireplace to heat. Better than being in darkness. That's what's happening now, it has the makings of a better system. Uses 1/2 less fuel, which can be by-product waste. It generates no waste products. No nuclear fuel needed. No massive cooling systems changing the ecology of the waterways.

Do you heat the greenhouses with firewood? It's cheaper. No, you heat with fuel oil because it works better, is more convenient, you don't have to be up all night stoking a fire, and you are willing to pay a little more more that because it's a better way of doing business.

I can promise you oil is cheaper, for us, than using wood to heat. If wood was cheaper, I'd use it. There are guys with pelletizing set ups and wood chip burners because they have the resources, ie, ready and steady supply of wood and wood by products.

What I am saying is when you government subsidize someones whiz-bang, they are, by definition, not building it to market. If they went and attracted capital, sure, just not public money.

I can promise you oil is cheaper, for us, than using wood to heat. If wood was cheaper, I'd use it. There are guys with pelletizing set ups and wood chip burners because they have the resources, ie, ready and steady supply of wood and wood by products.

What I am saying is when you government subsidize someones whiz-bang, they are, by definition, not building it to market. If they went and attracted capital, sure, just not public money.

Ok.

I still think it's a technology worth pursuing. Time to sit back and see what happens next.