Blue City State Schadenfreude - Elections have Consequences

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Poll: A Third of Seattle Residents Are Considering Leaving, Citing Crime and Costs

Public safety is the top concern among respondents who make more than $250,000 a year. Higher earners are also more likely to own a home than rent, the survey found.

Out of the respondents who report wanting to move, 80 percent rate the city poorly as a place to live, and 66 percent report feeling unsafe in their neighborhood.

“In comparison, among the two-thirds of Seattleites who did not consider leaving, 88 percent rated the city as an excellent place to live and 72 percent said they felt safe in their own neighborhood,” according to the report. “Notably, the majority of respondents citing housing costs as a major reason for wanting to move out rated Seattle as an excellent place to live, indicating their reluctance to leave if not for affordability.”

The Times noted that in the last three years, costs in the city’s metro area increased 20 percent. The city’s metro area home price index is also 40 percent higher than in 2018, down from 50 percent in 2022, and wages have not kept up with the increases, according to the report.

If someone voted for this madness, they should be made to stay an suffer the consequences of their choice and clean up the mess

Clem72

Poll: A Third of Seattle Residents Are Considering Leaving, Citing Crime and Costs

Public safety is the top concern among respondents who make more than $250,000 a year. Higher earners are also more likely to own a home than rent, the survey found.

Out of the respondents who report wanting to move, 80 percent rate the city poorly as a place to live, and 66 percent report feeling unsafe in their neighborhood.

“In comparison, among the two-thirds of Seattleites who did not consider leaving, 88 percent rated the city as an excellent place to live and 72 percent said they felt safe in their own neighborhood,” according to the report. “Notably, the majority of respondents citing housing costs as a major reason for wanting to move out rated Seattle as an excellent place to live, indicating their reluctance to leave if not for affordability.”

The Times noted that in the last three years, costs in the city’s metro area increased 20 percent. The city’s metro area home price index is also 40 percent higher than in 2018, down from 50 percent in 2022, and wages have not kept up with the increases, according to the report.

If someone voted for this madness, they should be made to stay an suffer the consequences of their choice and clean up the mess
Out of the self-selected group of rich people who wanted to leave, crime was the biggest issue (because they are rich, so cost isn't an issue).

Out of the self-selected group of not-rich people who wanted to leave, cost was the biggest issue.

Out of the self-selected group of people that did not want to leave, neither was an issue.

We needed a fancy poll to figure this out?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Honduran drug dealers have made a business hub out of San Francisco due to the progressive city’s sanctuary laws for illegal immigration, fueling the nation’s fentanyl epidemic and the visible decline of a major American city.

San Francisco’s accommodative approach to illegal immigration makes it appealing to sell there, Honduran dealers told the San Francisco Chronicle as part of an in-depth investigation into how Honduran nationals have come to play a dominant role in the city’s drug crisis.

Under current San Francisco law, last amended in July 2016, city employees are forbidden from using city resources to cooperate with any ICE investigation, detention, or arrest relating to an illegal immigration case. The law also prohibits ICE from placing holds on local prisoners so they can be deported upon their release from jail, the publication noted.

A Honduran dealer told the Chronicle that San Francisco is a hot spot for drug work because those illegal immigrants who are caught are less likely to be deported.

“The reason is because, in San Francisco, it’s like you’re here in Honduras,” another dealer said. “The law, because they don’t deport, that’s the problem. … Many look for San Francisco because it’s a sanctuary city. You go to jail and you come out.”

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Anchor, a 127-year-old brewery in San Francisco, is closing for good

So there were a lot of problems here but one that barely gets mentioned is that Anchor unionized in 2019.

On Dec. 20, 2019, workers at Anchor Brewing Company, a venerable Bay Area icon that brewed its first beer for thirsty San Franciscans nearly four decades before the Golden Gate Bridge was built, gathered in the brewery to ratify their first-ever collective bargaining agreement. It was a union contract years in the making — the product of methodical organizing that began in 2018, followed by a contentious public drive and negotiations that spanned the entire 2019 calendar…
That workers at Anchor had successfully organized a union, won their drive and election, and ratified a contract — and did it all without getting summarily laid off or unceremoniously abandoned for a cheaper labor market elsewhere — was a signal that it could be done in other craft-oriented businesses.

The core of the unionization effort was around pay issues as one employee explained:

The raise structure in the contract is staggered, so we got part of our raise this year [2020], and part of it at the beginning of next year [2021]. Then it [will] continue to go up. So I think starting January, [average pay] will have gone up 20 to 25 percent [since the contract went into effect.]
[In a follow-up message, Machel provided more specific figures: The contract provides Anchor’s brewery workers with an across-the-board average raise of 21 percent over three years. For workers at the Public Taps, the bump is 28 percent.]

Most of these people weren’t making big salaries but I’m sure giving out 20% raises when the company was already in the red didn’t help the situation. But to be fair, it sounds like the decision to close the bars in 2020 did more damage than anything else. Hard to sell beer by the keg when all the bars are closed.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

‘I’m F***ing Fed Up With This Godd*mn City’: San Francisco Shop Owner Punched By Homeless Man Urinating On His Trash

“I can’t believe I live in a city where people just piss on the street, come punch you in the face and get away with it,” he said. “The guy ran off. They’re probably not going to find him. I’m f***ing fed up with this godd*mn city. It’s like I can’t just be outside running a business without getting punched in the face. So I’m pissed off right now. Really f***ing pissed off.”

“I just need to vent,” he continued. “I gotta figure out what to do. This is f****d up. It shouldn’t be this way at all. This isn’t how our city should be. I hope they find the f***ing guy. I’m f***ing pissed off. I’m sorry that I’m venting to y’all but I don’t know what to do.”

“At what point is it too much where you can’t be on the street and tell some guy to stop p***ing and get hit in the face?” he asked.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

California and New York lose $640M of tax revenue to migration, as conservative Florida and Texas see coffers boosted by $23.1BN

• Liberal states California and New York are posting losses of over $600 million in tax revenue due to migration
  • The figures published by the IRS highlight how blue states with steep taxes are losing citizens for places like Florida with lower taxes
  • As a result, California and New York are actively losing individuals with high income who are moving elsewhere, including some celebrities

HemiHauler

California and New York lose $640M of tax revenue to migration, as conservative Florida and Texas see coffers boosted by $23.1BN

• Liberal states California and New York are posting losses of over $600 million in tax revenue due to migration
  • The figures published by the IRS highlight how blue states with steep taxes are losing citizens for places like Florida with lower taxes
  • As a result, California and New York are actively losing individuals with high income who are moving elsewhere, including some celebrities

LOL, this is 2021 data and lots has changed and will continue to change.

SamSpade

LOL, this is 2021 data and lots has changed and will continue to change.
I could be mistaken, but I believe Title 26 data isn't released to other agencies until near the end of the calendar year. Then, in typical governmental swiftness, it takes several months to publish. I doubt that 2022 data is available yet; I'd be glad to be mistaken.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I could be mistaken, but I believe Title 26 data isn't released to other agencies until near the end of the calendar year. Then, in typical governmental swiftness, it takes several months to publish. I doubt that 2022 data is available yet; I'd be glad to be mistaken.

:nono:

No using FACTS and commonsense in the discussion ......

HemiHauler

That is precisely what I stated.

SamSpade

:nono:

No using FACTS and commonsense in the discussion ......
I just remember years ago, looking at data WE publish, and wondering - why isn't THIS year's data published. Then a smack on the forehead and a "duh! because THIS year hasn't ENDED yet!". For most items, it takes a good six months or more to process all of it and publish. Meaning, a year's worth of data doesn't become available until considerably AFTER the year ends. Worse, when it's tax data, because the IRS has to release it to other agencies. So there's always a delay.

The content and gist of the point is however, corroborated by at least ONE other relevant fact - big blue states like New York, Illinois and California are losing people, especially Illinois.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Portland doctor knocked out by a 'homeless' attacker reveals bloody wounds to her face and blames the city for slow police response - claiming she changed her vote from Democrat to Republican

• Mary Costantino, 50, was attacked last Friday night in an unprovoked assault in Portland after a man threw a metal water bottle at her
  • Costantino has shared images of her injuries after the attack knocked her unconscious, as police continue to search for her attacker
  • She has now blamed the city for the slow police response to the scene, which is dealing with a large homeless problem