Bluebird needs a new television.

BlueBird

I haven't bought a new TV in about 20 years but now that my old Sony 32" trinitron is on the fritz it looks like it's finally time.

I've been spending a ridiculous amount of time attempting to get up to speed on all the latest technology and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've been out of the TV game for so long that I don't understand things like HDR, 3:2 pull down, 480i, 1080i, 1080p, 4K, LED, LCD, OLED, Plasma blah, blah blah. Here's what I know we want. I want a TV that is reliable and will last a very long time, as in until I'm dead. I want value and a great picture with good viewing angles. I see most TV sets now come with built in WiFi for internet access and that would be fun especially if there was a way to watch internet content on the TV, I see this is called smart TV and it intrigues me. My 32 inch was a large set for us but since we're buying a new set we should go bigger, much bigger. I'm thinking a 65 inch would be fun to have and I could mount it on the wall and get rid of our ugly oak entertainment center from the early 90's. Some TV's are curved and we don't like those ones. We have Directv and want a TV that can handle the high definition but not sure which format we need to go with. Wish there was a way to compare all the different types of High definition side by side. We assume that the higher the number the better the picture will be. In the stores they all look great but that's because they have the best format connected to all the TV's. What year did buying a new TV become so complicated?

Here's the model TV we have now: KV-32FS120. I'm going to miss this TV.

Last edited:
I haven't bought a new TV in about 20 years but now that my old Sony 32" trinitron is on the fritz it looks like it's finally time.

I've been spending a ridiculous amount of time attempting to get up to speed on all the latest technology and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've been out of the TV game for so long that I don't understand things like HDR, 3:2 pull down, 480i, 1080i, 1080p, 4K, LED, LCD, OLED, Plasma blah, blah blah. Here's what I know we want. I want a TV that is reliable and will last a very long time, as in until I'm dead. I want value and a great picture with good viewing angles. I see most TV sets now come with built in WiFi for internet access and that would be fun especially if there was a way to watch internet content on the TV, I see this is called smart TV and it intrigues me. My 32 inch was a large set for us but since we're buying a new set we should go bigger, much bigger. I'm thinking a 65 inch would be fun to have and I could mount it on the wall and get rid of our ugly oak entertainment center from the early 90's. Some TV's are curved and we don't like those ones. We have Directv and want a TV that can handle the high definition but not sure which format we need to go with. Wish there was a way to compare all the different types of High definition side by side. We assume that the higher the number the better the picture will be. In the stores they all look great but that's because they have the best format connected to all the TV's. What year did buying a new TV become so complicated?

I'm selling raffle tickets for a 55" Insignia flatscreen. Really nice picture on it. 1 for $5.00, 3 for $10.00. Mechanicsville Optimist Club. Drawing to be held 2/3/16.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, given that you evidently hold onto TVs longer than many people hold onto spouses, I would recommend going as far out onto the leading/bleeding edge as you can afford. Right now we are going through a transition period where the latest innovations in display tech are lagging the delivery channels. Just like when 1080p came around, there was a hue and cry that buying a set capable of such was going to leave you high and dry because there were only a few sources that offered programming in that format. and if your set failed to upscale the car more common 480i, you were going to be bleeding from the eyes. So, barring budget, I do recommend doing the 4K (UHD), which means the same thing, really, HDR sort of set. What HDR brings to the table is blacker blacks and brighter brights. That's the higher dynamic range that HDR refers to, a larger range of brightness levels. OLED is the way forward so far, although either LG or Sony has said that they are committed to making LCDs competitive visually with OLEDs.

If you want a wider viewing angle, OLEDs are better for that, and the curved sets were supposed to be a help there, but I agree that they bother me also. OLEDs also cost a wad. "Proper" size depends greatly on your viewing distance and what resolution you are planning to watch. But watch out which distance calculator you use, 4K is going to want you closer to the screen than 1080p would to catch the extra detail. If you go wall mount, you want to remember to not go too high (over the fireplace people, I'm looking at you). I think your best plan it to hit your top budget number, then start trading features for size til you find a compromise.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh, and you might want to budget for a basic surround system, unless you have experienced it, you really cannot imagine the extra effect it ads to everything you watch. Much more immersive than all the sounds coming from in front of you from two speakers.

BlueBird

Now that was he type of response I was looking for. Informative and full of explanations regarding the new televisions and what they offer. A quick search of OLED leaves me wide eyed over the price, way out of my price range! Seems like almost everything is 4K now and the more I read about HDR the more I think I need it to be happy with my next set. Here's what i think is true so please tell me where I'm wrong. All new TV's can handle all formats broadcasts. All programming is broad casted in 1080P so it's a safe bet to assume that all TV's manufactured now can display this latest technology? I know with my current st I'm just getting a digital quality picture which is lower than that of High definition? Although the quality is superb in my opinion. What is shown is in this new 4k? Why do TV's have it?

I like this TV and reviews seem good but there are too many choices!

Samsung 65" 4K

Last edited:

BlueBird

Oh, and you might want to budget for a basic surround system, unless you have experienced it, you really cannot imagine the extra effect it ads to everything you watch. Much more immersive than all the sounds coming from in front of you from two speakers.

I have a pioneer stereo system we use for watching TV and will connect the new TV to the RCA jacks on my Pioneer. We're looking for smaller speakers too but we don't like the way the Bose cube speakers sound. Any suggestions? Should we just buy a sound bar? seems like you can order one with this TV. I want to mount the TV at eye level. I hate having to look up to watch TV. Friends have theirs mounted above the FP and I think it's a dumb place to put a TV.

Now that was he type of response I was looking for. Informative and full of explanations regarding the new televisions and what they offer. A quick search of OLED leaves me wide eyed over the price, way out of my price range! Seems like almost everything is 4K now and the more I read about HDR the more I think I need it to be happy with my next set. Here's what i think is true so please tell me where I'm wrong. All new TV's can handle all formats broadcasts. All programming is broad casted in 1080P so it's a safe bet to assume that all TV's manufactured now can display this latest technology? I know with my current st I'm just getting a digital quality picture which is lower than that of High definition? Although the quality is superb in my opinion. What is shown is in this new 4k? Why do TV's have it?

Samsung 65" 4K

Not true. OverTheAir broadcasts can be anything from 480i to 1080i. Broadcasters are required to provide a signal using the HD formats, but the actual resolution of the picture may be SD (standard definition). Same with cable, there are channels less than full 1080. Smaller HD tvs, like under 32", might only provide resolution up to 720. You have to be very careful to make sure the set you are looking at is full 1080, if that's what you want.

BlueBird

Not true. OverTheAir broadcasts can be anything from 480i to 1080i. Broadcasters are required to provide a signal using the HD formats, but the actual resolution of the picture may be SD (standard definition). Same with cable, there are channels less than full 1080. Smaller HD tvs, like under 32", might only provide resolution up to 720. You have to be very careful to make sure the set you are looking at is full 1080, if that's what you want.

This is all very confusing. Why can't they all just broadcast in the same format? As far as I can tell the set I linked to covers everything all the way up to this new 4K. Does that mean it will take one of the signals you mentioned and convert to 4K? How was I able to watch all these channels on my out dated TV that I'm replacing? I know the digital tuner converted them but if the TV wasn't capable of displaying them than what/how the hell was I watching?

This is all very confusing. Why can't they all just broadcast in the same format? As far as I can tell the set I linked to covers everything all the way up to this new 4K. Does that mean it will take one of the signals you mentioned and convert to 4K? How was I able to watch all these channels on my out dated TV that I'm replacing? I know the digital tuner converted them but if the TV wasn't capable of displaying them than what/how the hell was I watching?

Newer TVs won't convert the signal up to 4K, it will just display the signal it receives at the resolution transmitted. If it's 720i, your tv will display it at 720i. If it's 1080, your tv will display 1080. It will be compatible with all new HD formats.

Your old system downconverted the signal to the lowest common denominator. If you were using the coax input to your tv, it was low resolution. Same with the component video input. If you were using an HDMI input, it negotiated the best possible resolution and displayed at that.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, while they will display all signals, older stuff will look worse to you. Watching standard definition will make you sad:) So you will want to feed it the good stuff. Netflix has tons of HD content and some of the newer series are being streamed in UHD. Might need a wired connection for that level though. For 1080 from the cable company, you really need an HD DVR.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/where-and-how-to-watch-4k-uhd-content/

Piping your sound through a normal stereo while it helps a bit, really is nothing like surround. The different channels are fed location specific signals to set a sound stage, so a missile sound might might start in front as it comes towards you it will fade from there as it picks up in side speaker then taper off as it passes you. But you need a receiver that decodes those signals and sends them to the right speaker. With carefull shopping and no need to go bleeding edge there, you can do that for not too much money. Something like this is a great way to start..... wiring can be a bit of a bother, but the sound really makes up for the hassle.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...lack/3190034.p?id=1219573002241&skuId=3190034

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I don't know, but when I thought about maybe getting a new TV about 5 years ago (because Thing1 said to me one day at Walmart or someplace "Mom, NO TV's in this whole department is like OURS! Maybe we need to get a new one!!) it made my head spin, :jameo: so I didn't get one at that time. :lol:

I don't even understand half of what is described in this tread, my eyes just glazed over as I skimmed it, and I have no desire to even learn it. Seems like as soon as I do - the technology changes again! :ohwell: I'm so glad Foxhound came along with his TV when he moved in and then we went together to get an even newer one. :yay:

Idunno

We have been looking also. We went to HHGregg, Walmart and Sears in Waldorf. Between them they carry the most brands of televisions. Go look at the displayed TV's, have them change the channels to different real time tv stations and not just the display film loop. Find the one you like, write down the brand, model and features...or just take a picture of the information card with your phone. Do not buy yet! Go home and do some online research and find the best deal. We found one for $200 less, free shipping, and no Maryland sales tax. So we have to wait a week for it to arrive. A tv that big would not fit in either of our cars anyway. Keep in mind that on many brands the last 2-4 letters and numbers of the model number may be just to keep the different retailers from price matching. Good Luck!

Keep in mind that on many brands the last 2-4 letters and numbers of the model number may be just to keep the different retailers from price matching. Good Luck!

Actually, those minor differences in the SKU or model number is to differentiate specific variants for different retailers. One may include a cable, one may not....etc...

BlueBird

We have been looking also. We went to HHGregg, Walmart and Sears in Waldorf. Between them they carry the most brands of televisions. Go look at the displayed TV's, have them change the channels to different real time tv stations and not just the display film loop. Find the one you like, write down the brand, model and features...or just take a picture of the information card with your phone. Do not buy yet! Go home and do some online research and find the best deal. We found one for $200 less, free shipping, and no Maryland sales tax. So we have to wait a week for it to arrive. A tv that big would not fit in either of our cars anyway. Keep in mind that on many brands the last 2-4 letters and numbers of the model number may be just to keep the different retailers from price matching. Good Luck!

Good tips. We went to Sears already and they all look good. We have researched the TV's online and read the online reviews on Amazon. The thing is , is that I only read the 1 star reviews and it seems like there are a lot of problems with the TV's we liked in the store. Like that Samsung 65JS8500. There are some 1 star reviews and that frightens me. Why God, Why did my faithful boob tube have to stop working?

BlueBird

Actually, those minor differences in the SKU or model number is to differentiate specific variants for different retailers. One may include a cable, one may not....etc...

Walmart seems to carry watered down versions of the same TV's you can get online or the boutique big box stores like Sears or Best Buy. Same is true for many of the lap tops they carry. Guess that's how they keep the prices low.

Samsung 65" 4K

I looked this one up in my 2016 Consumer Reports Buying Guide. It rated very well in the 'over 60" class' except in viewing angle (but most did not do well there...) and is a Recommended. Samsung took most of the best recommended TVs, next was LG.

The November 2015 edition rates TVs. If you don't get it, maybe the library has a copy. If not, you can look at mine.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I do think they are offering the best value for the dollar in the 4k market in that size right now. I've looked at the Vizio M series in a 70 inch also. No 3D, but thats sort of fading off anyway.